• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Inzamam rank among Asia's batting greats?

Where does Inzamam stand among Asian batting greats

• Total voters

stuw

Cricket Spectator
1. Gavaskar
2. Sachin
3. Dravid
4. Miandad
5. Sangakkara
6. Hanif
7. Inzamam
8. Jayawardene
9. Sehwag
10. Yousuf

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The program would pick this as a combined subcontinent all-time XI:

1. Gavaskar
2. Hanif
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Miandad
6. Sangakkara +
7. Imran
8. Kapil
9. Wasim
10. Kumble
11. Muralitharan

Looks fair enough to me.
How far is Mankad from the XI? Doesn't have spectacular averages but was a pretty good all rounder with some memorable performances.

MrPrez

International Debutant
1)Gavaskar
2)Hanif
3)Dravid
4)Tendulkar
5)Miandad
6)Inzimam/Sanga (Didn't watch enough to create an opinion)
7)(Enter quality Asian keeper here)
8)I.Khan
9)Wasim Akram
10)Waqar Younis
11)Muralitharan

Can't think of a WK, I would say Dhoni but expect a barrage of flaming to come my way if I did. Sanga is not a Test keeper as he chooses not to be.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Would rather have Inzy there Prez and Sanga as the keeper. Younis would also be handy in sub continental conditions since he has a good record throughout the world and is great against spin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How far is Mankad from the XI? Doesn't have spectacular averages but was a pretty good all rounder with some memorable performances.
Not particularly close. If Kapil didn't exist then the program pick Mushtaq Mohammad and drop Kumble for Waqar.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Mushtaq Mohammad over Vinoo Mankad? Your program is a failure :p

Not sure if Mushtaq Mohammad can be considered an all-rounder. He picks less than 2 wickets a match. Much like Kallis

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mushtaq Mohammad over Vinoo Mankad? Your program is a failure :p

Not sure if Mushtaq Mohammad can be considered an all-rounder. He picks less than 2 wickets a match. Much like Kallis
Haha he'd be batting in the top 7 and acting as the fifth bowler though; it'd be a primarily batting position. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cribb, why Flower over Gilly (or Knott, or whoever) for the 'keeping spot in your team?
Because I haven't devised a way to get the program to statistically measure wicket keeping yet. Flower had the best batting rating as keeper so he's in there. If I'm going to put it forward as an AI-selected team it has to be exactly that, even if I blatantly disagree with some of its findings. I mean I think Imran was the best player of all time, and yet...

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Tier 1:
1) Tendulkar... easily has the most complete record, hardly any holes to pick out
2) Gavaskar
3) Miandad

Tier 2:
4) Dravid
5) Sangakkara
6) Inzamam
7) Laxman
8) Aravinda

Tier 3:
9) Azharuddin
10) Hanif
11) Samaraweera (Rising fast)
12) Sehwag (Sinking fast)
I like, Proably Dravid should be in the top tier, and as much as Sehwag is a FTB, he deserves to be at least at the bottom of the second tier.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The program would pick this as a combined subcontinent all-time XI:

1. Gavaskar
2. Hanif
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Miandad
6. Sangakkara +
7. Imran
8. Kapil
9. Wasim
10. Kumble
11. Muralitharan

Looks fair enough to me.
1) Gavaskar
2) Sehwag
3) Dravid
4) Tendulkar
5) Miandad
6) Sangakkara *
7) Khan +
8) Akram
9) Kumble
10) Younis
11) Muralitharan

12th man) Dev
Reserves : Laxman, Ul-Haq, Hanif

Great 11, would be really difficult to beat, especially in the SC.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Prince you only don't rate Inzy because everytime you turned on the tv to watch him he failed.

Go youtube the fat **** ya bum.

smash84

The Tiger King
Because I haven't devised a way to get the program to statistically measure wicket keeping yet. Flower had the best batting rating as keeper so he's in there. If I'm going to put it forward as an AI-selected team it has to be exactly that, even if I blatantly disagree with some of its findings. I mean I think Imran was the best player of all time, and yet...
haha yeah....I saw your program generated team in your sig the other day and was surprised to find no Imran. The team does come out pretty decent though considering that it is through an algorithm and doesn't take into account so many qualitative factors

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Prince you only don't rate Inzy because everytime you turned on the tv to watch him he failed.

Go youtube the fat **** ya bum.
:laugh:

I rate Inzy a lot higher than I did when I first voted on the poll. I'd have him at #7 on the Asian batting list now, and my stats program - which was designed on the way I develop my opinions - says I'm only one slot out on that, so I'm happy enough to stand by it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
haha yeah....I saw your program generated team in your sig the other day and was surprised to find no Imran. The team does come out pretty decent though considering that it is through an algorithm and doesn't take into account so many qualitative factors
I think there are a couple of reasons why Imran didn't get picked. I think the way it rates his actual batting and bowling is fine, but the fact that it can't take captaincy into consideration and the fact that the program that selects the final XI is pretty primitive in terms of the balance options it has sees him sit out. The program thinks he's the second best allrounder ever and yet still won't pick him. :p

watson

Banned
Inzamam, the Asian Bradman?

Inzamam, not Tendulkar close to Bradman's style: Study

Melbourne: Australian great Sir Don Bradman himself declared that Sachin Tendulkar reminded him of his own batting style but former English cricketer Tony Shillinglaw chooses to disagree. He has argued through a study that technique wise both the players are as different as chalk and cheese.....

"Funnily enough, the nearest I've seen of all people is Inzamam-ul-Haq, even though he was a big bull of a man. His batting movements were the nearest I've seen to Bradman, and amazingly his timing and his foot movement for a big man - they were very quick," says Shillinglaw, who penned the book Bradman Revisited.

Inzamam, not Tendulkar close to Bradman's style: Study | News | NDTVSports.com