• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akthar or Thomson?

Who is better?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely he bowled more than Thomson did then?

After the Packer schism was over, how many good spells did Thomson bowl?

archie mac

International Coach
Surely he bowled more than Thomson did then?

After the Packer schism was over, how many good spells did Thomson bowl?
I think Thommo past his best by 1979, he stilled had a good series in 1982-83, and with Lawson won Aust the Ashes imo

Alderman and Lillee were gone very early in the series and Thommo really stood up

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup, as I think I said earlier, that 1982/83 Ashes was a fine last-hurrah for Thomson and it's a considerable shame it didn't mark the end of his career.

Basically, though, the whole Thomson legend (I say legend not in a fictional capacity) is based on a few years, 1974/75-1977 - you acknowledge that he was much a past-best merchant by 1979/80. Often unfit though Shoaib was, he ended-up lasting a fair while longer than Thomson did and, I'd say, bowled well more often than Thomson did.

And in all honesty, how much difference was there between the best Thomson spell and the best Shoaib spell? I'd venture to suggest precious little, at most.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Never saw a top Thomson spell, I must concede, but the peaks of Shoaib bowling are pretty much unmatched from anyone who I have seen, having watched cricket since 1997.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, as I think I said earlier, that 1982/83 Ashes was a fine last-hurrah for Thomson and it's a considerable shame it didn't mark the end of his career.

Basically, though, the whole Thomson legend (I say legend not in a fictional capacity) is based on a few years, 1974/75-1977 - you acknowledge that he was much a past-best merchant by 1979/80. Often unfit though Shoaib was, he ended-up lasting a fair while longer than Thomson did and, I'd say, bowled well more often than Thomson did.

And in all honesty, how much difference was there between the best Thomson spell and the best Shoaib spell? I'd venture to suggest precious little, at most.
Yeah, but Shoaib never yorked Tony Greig like Thommo did in 74-75 For those of us who've had Greig's commentary the past 30 odd years, that was worth about 100 Test wickets!

Still have Shoaib ahead here though. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was about more than the yorker itself.
Indeed. As shown in this clip (most will have seen it). Greig bounced Lillee 1st dig in Brisbane, then got a ton in England's 1st innings and was signalling fours for himself which made Lillee and Thommo quite, well, miffed. The yorker in question is in the clip as well.

There's some good footage of Thommo bowling here. Interesting the almost complete absence of a meaningful follow through, from a technical POV. Those who understand the mechanics of bowling better than me might enjoy it. Bumble's in there with the protector story whcih I'm sure no one has ever heard before either.

YouTube - Australia vs England 1975

The bouncer in this clip at about 2.10 is pretty frightening too. Poor bugger. I think it's Siddath Wettimuny at the 75 WC. The fella who gets hit on the toe was, I think Duleep Mendis in the same game. Ian Chappell told the story of that game in one of his books where Mendis got hit either 3 or 4 times in a row by Thommo on the same toe. The physio came out after the first one, told him to bat on. After the second one he asked to retire hurt but his captain said no. After the third one, he apparently said to the skipper that representing your country is one thing, but losing a toe for it is a bit rch, so the captain let him go off. He walked a third of the way, was assisted by team mates the second third and had a stretcher for the last third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXRTraA1tY

Not meaning to turn this into an old video-fest, just interesting to see these old players and get a decent look at them.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I think you should watch the match sehwag and sachin have dominated akhtar many times.And why don't you understand Pakistan produces flat tracks to boast the average of Javed Miandad, Inzi, Yousuf and Younis khan. Check their batting average outside subcontinent. All of them are in 40-45 range.
Seriously! are you kidding me?....and of all the posters of other nationalities an Indian talks about flat tracks! and flat track bullies????????? :wacko: