• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to Cricket Web - Cricket Chat

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
thank you both for your replies!

So I also try to avoid the term 'fielder', though maybe I'm wrong in that. I thought all players on the cricket field were 'defensemen', but apparently not. What is the proper terminology here? It's important to me, because just a with any language not one's native language, you can make major errors by misunderstanding or misusing a word in the 'language' of cricket.
The term fielder is correct. I'm certain that your knowledge of cricket is far superior to my knowledge of baseball, but my perception of baseball (and this could be 100% wrong) is that the batting side is considered offensive whilst the fielding side is defensive. In cricket (well test cricket) that is not the case at all and we certainly wouldn't use the term "defensemen" to describe fielders.

In Test cricket wickets count just as much as runs do towards a win. A team can outscore their opposition by 500 runs in a test match but the game will end a draw unless they can also take 20 wickets (bowl the opposition out twice) This is something that new or casual watchers often struggle with the game, that it can go for 5 days have 1 team score a load more runs than the other but the game end in no result........but this is the fundamental essence and the beauty of the sport. It is called test cricket because it is just that, a test of both batting and bowling.......you don't win unless you perform in both departments.

So what you find during the course of a test match is that depending on the match state, the batting side can either be on the attack or defending and likewise with the fielding side. but never think that the fielders are defensive by nature. This situation is different in limited overs cricket, in ODI's and T20 games runs are king, so you will for the most part find the fielding side more defensive and the batting team more aggressive.

Definately think you should start a dedicated thread where we can answer your questions and discuss the nuances of the game........will be better than carrying on here.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member

Definately think you should start a dedicated thread where we can answer your questions and discuss the nuances of the game........will be better than carrying on here.
Thanks and will do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The term "fielder" would've been deemed far less correct and proper 50 years ago, but it's very commonly used now to the point where "fieldsman" is rare. I suspect "batter" may become similar eventually; it's already accepted even if most people do realise "batsman" is the proper term.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The term "fielder" would've been deemed far less correct and proper 50 years ago, but it's very commonly used now to the point where "fieldsman" is rare. I suspect "batter" may become similar eventually; it's already accepted even if most people do realise "batsmen" is the proper term.
When we are looking for fillins for our club side if anyone introduces themselves to me as a batter, we put them at 11 in the order. And it is an accurate way of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have moved further discussion of my topic, as recommended, to the General Sports Forum, under the title "Field positions and offense vs defense in cricket, with baseball compare and contrast".

If anyone wishes to continue the discussion, please check there. Thanks for all you have all taught me!

vipan

Cricket Spectator
Hi I am from India. I love to watch Tendulkar, Ponting, Abe and Ian Bell. I am a big fan of Shakibul Hasan, Sreesanth (the bowler in tests), Dale Steyn and Graeme Swann.

Hooksey

Banned
Hi I am from India. I love to watch Tendulkar, Ponting, Abe and Ian Bell. I am a big fan of Shakibul Hasan, Sreesanth (the bowler in tests), Dale Steyn and Graeme Swann.
Welcome to the clover patch mate. I don't think you'll be seeing much of half the players you named above any time soon though.

Red rose bear

Cricket Spectator
Hi all...I have just stumbled across this forum. I am a Lancashire lass but have lived in Bear country for many years.
I was introduced to this fine game at a very young age and remember many a sunny(!) Sunday afternoon at Old Trafford watching John Player league 40 over games.
I have never lost my passion for the game and have been to an England game (ODI or test) on a regular basis. It is my ambition to watch 1st class cricket, doesn't have to be an international at the Kensington Oval, Bridgetown. We will be on holiday there when the Caribbean PL is on this year so I might even achieve that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hi all...I have just stumbled across this forum. I am a Lancashire lass but have lived in Bear country for many years.
I was introduced to this fine game at a very young age and remember many a sunny(!) Sunday afternoon at Old Trafford watching John Player league 40 over games.
I have never lost my passion for the game and have been to an England game (ODI or test) on a regular basis. It is my ambition to watch 1st class cricket, doesn't have to be an international at the Kensington Oval, Bridgetown. We will be on holiday there when the Caribbean PL is on this year so I might even achieve that.
Will you marry me?

Stick o Rhubarb

Cricket Spectator
Hello to all. I thought I had better introduce myself so that people know who they will be throwing abuse at when they disagree with me. My screen name should be recognisable to TMS cricket aficionados, but the real name is Nigel.

As a result of Yorkshire CCC selection policy, my father insisted that my mother was driven from their posting at RAF St Mawgan [in Cornwall] to the family home county of Yorkshire. This was quite a logistical feat in 1957. Unfortunately for Mum, this was in a motorcycle sidecar, with me [an 8 month old foetus at the time] inside her. She has still not forgiven me for the hours of torture.
I have no memory of it, but I can only imagine the orgasmic reaction of my father and grandfather when it was discovered that I was left handed. Countless hours of bowling ‘spinners’ at Grandad in the back garden were supposed to hone the skills of the new Jim Laker [still a Yorkshire hero after his ’56 triumph]. If the worst things came to the worst, I might be Tony Lock, but this was definitely an inferior ambition.

Thanks to the generosity of the then governments, I was sent to boarding school courtesy of RAF bursaries. My father was in ecstasy at not only having a son who would not have a chance to develop the local Hull accent, but would have a direct entrance into what he saw as the cricket hierarchy. PE teachers and cricket masters leapt upon an innocent left handed Yorkshire lad with relish, and in conjunction with elocution lessons, I was coached incessantly. I played in many matches, culminating at age 11 in playing against the Old Boys XI lead by the recently deposed England captain MJK Smith [he signed my chemistry book].

How could I fail?

Spectacularly, as it happens.

I was, and still am, crap. :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hello to all. I thought I had better introduce myself so that people know who they will be throwing abuse at when they disagree with me. My screen name should be recognisable to TMS cricket aficionados, but the real name is Nigel.

As a result of Yorkshire CCC selection policy, my father insisted that my mother was driven from their posting at RAF St Mawgan [in Cornwall] to the family home county of Yorkshire. This was quite a logistical feat in 1957. Unfortunately for Mum, this was in a motorcycle sidecar, with me [an 8 month old foetus at the time] inside her. She has still not forgiven me for the hours of torture.
I have no memory of it, but I can only imagine the orgasmic reaction of my father and grandfather when it was discovered that I was left handed. Countless hours of bowling ‘spinners’ at Grandad in the back garden were supposed to hone the skills of the new Jim Laker [still a Yorkshire hero after his ’56 triumph]. If the worst things came to the worst, I might be Tony Lock, but this was definitely an inferior ambition.

Thanks to the generosity of the then governments, I was sent to boarding school courtesy of RAF bursaries. My father was in ecstasy at not only having a son who would not have a chance to develop the local Hull accent, but would have a direct entrance into what he saw as the cricket hierarchy. PE teachers and cricket masters leapt upon an innocent left handed Yorkshire lad with relish, and in conjunction with elocution lessons, I was coached incessantly. I played in many matches, culminating at age 11 in playing against the Old Boys XI lead by the recently deposed England captain MJK Smith [he signed my chemistry book].

How could I fail?

Spectacularly, as it happens.

I was, and still am, crap. :)
Welcome mate. The English posters here will show you the ropes. I believe they have an English Domestic thread which does a roaring trade when in season. Hope you like discussions about ATGs. If you don't know what that stands for you soon will.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Please stick around - it may not be by much but its always reassuring to know that someone older than me posts on here

(did you see what I did there?)

Stick o Rhubarb

Cricket Spectator
Welcome mate. The English posters here will show you the ropes. I believe they have an English Domestic thread which does a roaring trade when in season. Hope you like discussions about ATGs. If you don't know what that stands for you soon will.

Many thanks Hurricane. I imagine it is 'All Time Greats'?

If so, being English [and a Yorkshireman], means that not only will there be no johnny come lately colonials in there, but very few of any other English county will get in - especially the red rose lot. :D

Stick o Rhubarb

Cricket Spectator
Many thanks for the welcomes.

I had the 'delight' of Aussie hospitality for the Melbourne and Sydney tests. Christmas day lunch in the MCG, part of a world record crowd for the first day of the boxing day test and New Years Eve on a cruiser on under Sydney Harbour bridge. You can tell there wasn't much cricket to enjoy from an English angle.

Mitchell Johnson in full flight in real life is quite frightening

In all honesty, we had a fabulous time and the Aussies were incredibly welcoming and friendly. I didn't realise that the whole populations of Hong Kong and SE Asia had moved there though!