• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe this thread is still active. didn't this argument get sorted out some time ago once and for all?

over the years we've had:

sachin vs lara - which was the longest running and most legit debate of all. it is still unresolved.
then
sachin vs inzi and sachin vs s.waugh went on for brief periods. sachin emerged winner on both occasions.

even sachin vs de silva and sachin vs dravid were alive for a while but they were not real, serious debates.

thensachin vs ponting went on for close to six, seven years with ponting winning some small battles for a few solid consecuttive years. but the war is over now and , at the end of it all, sachin, once again, has come out on top.

time to start sachin vs sehwag now. But if you are not interested in itm you can always go back to the first debate in this list.

BCL vs SRT is the real match up for the crown of modern batsmanship.
Dire.

Ruckus

International Captain
Sachin has the girliest voice of the three, though. A bit like Bradman. :happy:

DeusEx : If you're talking of peaks, it'd have to be Lara..
Na i was just talking about Ponting and Tendulkar. I think the old footage of Bradman makes him sound girly and high, in later footage his voice is a lot more standard.

I honestly think there is hardly anything between Tendulkar and Ponting, or Lara. All of the statistical analyses are flawed in one way or another, so you always end up with a considerable amount of error/uncertainty.

I think easily the best way of making comparisons is by observation. My summary based on watching them would be that Tendulkar overall is the better batsman (because he is more consistently good - just take a look at his batting graph). However, that being said I think if you compared both players at their peaks, Ponting would just pip Tendulkar. Ponting is a simply wonderful batsman to watch when he is in full flight and form.
Quality post.Personally,I was of the opinion that Lara<Ponting=Tendu in 07.Now it's more like Tendu slightly>Ponting slightly>Lara

Ruckus

International Captain
Oooooh... how touching...

Clearly Siddle wants to be a big man by dropping the little man though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tbf to Siddle, he could give a gift to the poor and he'd still look like he wants to drop them. Just has one of those angry faces.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ye you were probably one of the many unfortunate misinformed Indians around the world who before the recent series in India. Were still questioning Ponting's credentials againts playing spin in India for some crazy reason.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ye where probably one of the many unfortunate misninformed Indian around the world who before the recent series in India. Where still questioning Ponting's credentials againts playing spin in India for some crazy reason.
Do I really need to explain why this post is unacceptable? Lift your game.

And it's "were", not "where" ftr.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ye where probably one of the many unfortunate misninformed Indian around the world who before the recent series in India. Where still questioning Ponting's credentials againts playing spin in India for some crazy reason.
First, I don't give a crap if you call me misinformed or whatever else but do not generalize. This is an official warning.

Second, the crazy reason was that he sucked at it. Apparantely, having to perform well before being successful only applies to Sehwag in South Africa.