• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers playing major league baseball

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the fielding aspect as stated by others and there'd obviously be some cricketers who'd be natural hitters and find baseball ability. But then, there are a bazillion guys who can hit the ball well or throw really fast, the subtlties of the craft are what make an MLB batter or pitcher, just like in cricket. This would take any cricketer years and years to develop. No way would any cricketer just walk into an MLB team. Believe Ian Chappell is on the record saying as such and I'd be inclined to believe a bloke with his family's baseball pedigree.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with the fielding aspect as stated by others and there'd obviously be some cricketers who'd be natural hitters and find baseball ability. But then, there are a bazillion guys who can hit the ball well or throw really fast, the subtlties of the craft are what make an MLB batter or pitcher, just like in cricket. This would take any cricketer years and years to develop. No way would any cricketer just walk into an MLB team. Believe Ian Chappell is on the record saying as such and I'd be inclined to believe a bloke with his family's baseball pedigree.
I think that someone like the Ponting of five years ago could walk into any MLB team - his fielding is exceptional for a cricketer (and therefore would be passable for baseball) and his eye would have been good enough to get him in as a hitter.

It's the guys who aren't absolutely top shelf that would find it difficult - the Marcus North's of the world.

Top_Cat

I think that someone like the Ponting of five years ago could walk into any MLB team - his fielding is exceptional for a cricketer (and therefore would be passable for baseball) and his eye would have been good enough to get him in as a hitter
Find that incredibly unlikely, tbh. We'll never know, though.

fredfertang

He played it every winter for a while with the NY Mets.

The OP might be interested in his book on the topic.
I remember now - I have that book somewhere - I may even dig it out and read it now

Bill Ponsford was an outstanding baseball player - it seems, from where I got that information, that a lot of baseball was played in Australia between the wars - is it these days?

Anyway Ponsford claimed it improved his fielding immeasurably - and had a similar galvanizing effect on others - he specifically mentioned Vernon Ransford and Tommy Andrews

stephen

Find that incredibly unlikely, tbh. We'll never know, though.
I'd like to know your reasons.

Hitting in baseball is very much about hand-eye coordination, which Ponting (at the time) had in abundance. I'm not saying that he'd be the Babe Ruth of the 21st century, but I think he'd easily slot into any MLB team.

Let's not forget that in baseball every pitch is a low full toss :ph34r:

Top_Cat

Hitting in baseball is very much about hand-eye coordination, which Ponting (at the time) had in abundance. I'm not saying that he'd be the Babe Ruth of the 21st century, but I think he'd easily slot into any MLB team.

No offence, but there's little point in talking about the comparison if that's where you stand. Hitting in baseball requires decent hand-eye co-ordination, sure. Hitting in baseball good enough to play MLB is a rather different proposition. Footwork, hip movements, placement, head position, weight transfer, etc. are all different in baseball even at the basic level. The differences aren't just in whether one has the natural ability but are technical, stuff you learn as a kid just like cricketers do.

One example; in cricket you're generally taught to bat with low hands which is just about the worst thing you can do in hitting a baseball, even when loading up (they call that a 'hitch'). Playing with low hands is a bad habit. In cricket, you never heel plant, lock the front knee, point the bottom of the bat at the ball, etc.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Pont (ex Essex quick) had an extended trial for the Philadelphia Phillies on the strength of his cannon throwing arm.

His own website
says he actually played for them in a spring training game making him "the only modern professional cricketer to play in a professional baseball match."
Ian Pont in self promotion shocker.

I have no idea if he talks sense but I always cringe at that website as it reads like a cheap infomercial on late night TV.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I love that site.
He played it every winter for a while with the NY Mets.
In the minors, surely.
No offence, but there's little point in talking about the comparison if that's where you stand. Hitting in baseball requires decent hand-eye co-ordination, sure. Hitting in baseball good enough to play MLB is a rather different proposition. Footwork, hip movements, placement, head position, weight transfer, etc. are all different in baseball even at the basic level. The differences aren't just in whether one has the natural ability but are technical, stuff you learn as a kid just like cricketers do.

One example; in cricket you're generally taught to bat with low hands which is just about the worst thing you can do in hitting a baseball, even when loading up (they call that a 'hitch'). Playing with low hands is a bad habit. In cricket, you never heel plant, lock the front knee, point the bottom of the bat at the ball, etc.
Best post in this thread.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Easily slot into an MLB team? No, he wouldn't make it to the AAA Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Just like Ryan Howard from the Phillies wouldn't walk into a Test team (and wouldn't make it to FC cricket either - cricket's equivalent of 'minor leagues' I suppose).

Yes, baseball hitting requires hand-eye coordination. That's like saying cricket bowling requires a strong shoulder so if you have a strong shoulder, you'll slot into a Test team. It makes no sense. Having athleticism is not equivalent to having skill.

Wasn't it obviously fake? A lot of the camerawork, editing and commentary was very little like typical TV broadcasts.
Shut up smartass.

pasag

RTDAS
I think 50 years ago this thread could have had more merit, but we're talking about competing with players who have played baseball all their lives and have trained for it at an elite professional level (together with all their natural talent of course). Some older champions aren't even adapting to Twenty20 too well, let alone another sport. Yeah, they'd be damned good at baseball like many of them are damned good at golf, but for them to compete with the best of the best in the US is a bit of a stretch.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think 50 years ago this thread could have had more merit, but we're talking about competing with players who have played baseball all their lives and have trained for it at an elite professional level (together with all their natural talent of course). Some older champions aren't even adapting to Twenty20 too well, let alone another sport. Yeah, they'd be damned good at baseball like many of them are damned good at golf, but for them to compete with the best of the best in the US is a bit of a stretch.
Imagine what the Cubans would do to them :ph34r: