Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Harbhajan Singh one of the greatest fingerspinners ever ?

Is Harbhajan Singh one of the greatest fingerspinners ever ?

Guys like Prasanna and Bedi get regularly spoken of as some of the greatest finger spinners that have played the game.

Harbhajan is not usually mentioned in the same league despite having more wickets at a similar average and a better strike rate.

Thoughts ?.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    No.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Way to put out a light bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No.
    I agree he's not.

But if he has similar figures to Bedi and Prasanna (I haven't looked) it is worth discussing if he's in the same league as them and people look back at such bowlers with rose tinted glasses.

Or perhaps they are better.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Who is the best finger spinner ever then?
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Banned
    He is nideed one of the best. Certainly one among the ones this side of 1950.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    hey, if it is worth arguing that Kallis is a better allrounder than Sobers, then surely this is worth too. After all, the premises are the same for both arguments...

PS: I haven't checked Bhajji's stats comparative to Prasana and Bedi either, so my post above is assuming what the OP says is true.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Who is the best finger spinner ever then?
    Well, for me, it's got to be Pat Symcox innit?

I remember reading an article once about him & his 11 variations. Sometimes he's bowl the ball a bit earlier in his run up, every now and then he'd just bowl a cutter. 11 variations!! Legend. Don't forget the one ball that went through the stumps either.

Not to mention he got me a mini-bat with autographs from Malcolm Marshall, Clive Rice, Jonty Rhodes, Andrew Hudson & Shaun Pollock. That's the main reason he's the best ever.
    Last edited by nexxus; 01-02-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    If the entire premise of this proposal is statistical, then you could indeed argue that Harbhajan is in the same league as Prasanna and only a little behind Bedi. But you couldn't argue that he's one of the greatest finger-spinners of all time, because there's masses and masses of finger-spinners with much better records than him. I mean, I don't really agree with the practice, but if you're going to name someone as the greatest finger-spinner of all time on account of their stats you might as well pick someone who actually has good stats. Pervez Sajjad?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    In my book it's completely pointless comparing fingerspinners whose home is in the subcontinent to those whose home is elsewhere; and it's even more pointless to compare those who played in the covered wickets and uncovered wickets era. To a fingerspinner, the pitch is inestimably important, and those of equal ability who play(ed) on spin-friendly wickets with massively greater regularity than those who do\did not will inevitably have far better records.

Thus there is in my book no "best ever" or "best" of anything outside pretty narrow spectrums. It's an impossible question, unlike the question of comparing batsmen and seamers (and even wristspinners) accross spectrums.

As for is Harbhajan better than Bedi and Prasanna, well, maybe. Honestly don't really know enough about either to say. Prasanna and Harbhajan from what I do know were very similar bowlers.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I don't think so that Harbhajan is the best ever. I admit that he is one of the best spinners but I highly doubt his bowling action and same is the case with Muralitharan.

If you really want to see the greatest spinner ever, just look back to Shane Warne or Anil Kumble. Though Kumble wasn't able to spin the bowl much but his accuracy was fantastic.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Muralitharan, Warne and Kumble are wrist spinners, not fingerspinners .
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Yeah, I was just talking about general spinners

I think he'd have been lethal in the 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I think he'd have been lethal in the 90s.
    He definitely doesn't get enough respect for his record on the horrible, flat, slow pieces of crap that pass for pitches in India these days, presumably because of the country's reputation for being a very good place to bowl spin. I don't know if being able to take wickets at 32 on flat decks necessarily translates as being able to take them at 22 on dustbowls though.

Just because it's interesting:
    Harb's record with Kumble in the team

Kumble's record with Harbs in the team

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information