• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you bowl to...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah with Ponting it's always a case of outside off and swinging away early on. And if that doesn't work, it was usually a case of forget it.

Bit like Graeme Smith, or at least the old version of him - everyone thought the best way was to bowl full outside off but in reality that almost never worked. The solution turned out to be straight and swinging back in.

In fact there've been many batsmen who have had ignoramus bowlers think that weaknesses existed where in fact they didn't. Some, like Ponting, that weakness was in reality a strength; some, like Stephen Waugh, it was merely a non-weakness that it was useless to try to exploit and in trying to exploit it bowlers often failed to maximise their one potential chance - which was full, straight and nipping back early on.

With Sehwag BTW I'd always say bowl outside off and try to get it to move away. Yes he'll smash some of them, but if you can get the outswing he'll nick one eventually. If you can't get outswing, don't hold your breath on getting him out and just try the usual back-of-length at the stumps and that way you have some chance of at least containing him.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The bowlers most successful against Lara were McGrath (18) and Nel (11).
Warne got him 10 times, Kumble 9 times, and Murali 6.

Kumble got Ponting 10 times, and Murali did so 6 times.

So, Kumble has dismissed Lara+Ponting 19 times, Murali has dismissed Sachin+Lara+Ponting 24 times, and Warne has dismissed Lara+Sachin 14 times.
That means McGrath's got Lara and Sachin 31 times. Sheesh

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only time I can really recall it working was in an ODI vs England in 2005.
Wasim had enough success bringing the ball back into him. Usually took a top ball to nail him on the crease, though. Most of them probably would have got anyone, tbh.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar - I have seen him get out to left arm spin caught at first slip. Vettori has dismissed him I think 5 or 6 times.

I also think if you can get the ball to cut back in to him from short of a length - you could cause him some problems. That is how I would direct my medium pacers to bowl to him. He would probably score a ton anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
Sehwag would take me apart. At that level I would now be nothing more than medium quick and I dont do much with the ball. I guess Id look to vary the pace and occassionally try and get him on the back foot to mix it up. TBH, I cant see much apart from carnage.
In that case I would put all my fielders in the stands and on the roof, they might be in business there. Of course if I were of international standard and bowled at some decent pace, it would be different.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That means McGrath's got Lara and Sachin 31 times. Sheesh
And people wonder why Indians rate him as pretty much the best pacer of all time :p Marshal and Lillee have nothing on him. (And I'm not talking Marshall and Lillee from How I Met Your Mother either)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And people wonder why Indians rate him as pretty much the best pacer of all time :p Marshal and Lillee have nothing on him. (And I'm not talking Marshall and Lillee from How I Met Your Mother either)
Haha wow, never noticed that.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How about... Michael Clarke? I dunno where I'd try to bowl to him. Probably aim at the stumps and hope he leaves it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How about... Michael Clarke? I dunno where I'd try to bowl to him. Probably aim at the stumps and hope he leaves it.
No obvious weakness in his game - would just use conventional policy of aim at the top of off and look to make it go away.

Used to very much be a case of pitch it up outside off and he'd edge a drive before long, but he cured that weakness a fair while back now - 4 years or so.

Debris

International 12th Man
No obvious weakness in his game - would just use conventional policy of aim at the top of off and look to make it go away.

Used to very much be a case of pitch it up outside off and he'd edge a drive before long, but he cured that weakness a fair while back now - 4 years or so.
I notice quite a few sides trying to get him out by testing his patience. Bowling 2 foot outside off stump. It has worked a couple of times as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
^ Yeah, McGrath was a ****ing God.

An angry God, but still a God.
Yeah, def more of an Old Testament kind of deity. Plagues of chuntering and balls remorselessly zeroing in on the top of off stump.

What about Bradman? After 32/33 short might thought of as the best way to go, but he did still average more than any of his teammates.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I notice quite a few sides trying to get him out by testing his patience. Bowling 2 foot outside off stump. It has worked a couple of times as well.
Again though that's essentially a tactic that can easily work against most batsmen, and takes quite some skill to pull-off as a bowler the same way bowling constantly at the top of off does.