• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you bowl to...

Sir Alex

Banned
Sachin Tendulkar - I reallyy can't see any particular weakness in his batting except that he conjures up ways to get dismissed by debutants and batsmen who can bowl.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Ponting - used to be full and straight early on, though maybe these days a quick short ball works better?

Sir Alex

Banned
EDIT: Sachin - monotonous line just outside off stump.
Well, I'm only speaking about cricket.

Sachin, definitely a couple inches outside off stump, he'll nibble at it eventually.
1. It is hard to maintain that line.
2. Sachin of the old would have of course nibbled at it. However post 2007 Sachin has seemingly overcome that particular weakness.

Also he used to be a bunny against medium pacers who pitched it just outside off stump on a good length and seamed into the batsman. In fact in the 99-00 downunder series, Abdul Razack owned him with that kind of deliveries by bowling him through the gate.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
1. It is hard to maintain that line.
2. Sachin of the old would have of course nibbled at it. However post 2007 Sachin has seemingly overcome that particular weakness.

Also he used to be a bunny against medium pacers who pitched it just outside off stump on a good length and seamed into the batsman. In fact in the 99-00 downunder series, Abdul Razack owned him with that kind of deliveries by bowling him through the gate.
All batsman have the just outside offstump weakness. Its a fundamental part of cricket. Many deal with it better than others (judgement) but everyone has this weakness, should all else fail.

Sir Alex

Banned
All batsman have the just outside offstump weakness. Its a fundamental part of cricket. Many deal with it better than others (judgement) but everyone has this weakness, should all else fail.
I agree. However I haven't seen Tendulkar get out in that fashion many times in the last few years.

Sir Alex

Banned
Interestingly, everyone apart from Slater.
Flat decks, Ambrose over the hill. etc, I can think of many reasons...

But...

Well Harbhajan owned Ponting didnt he? it is kind of that bizzare, perhaps unexplainable... That is the beauty of cricket. Even the most feared goliaths have their meekest davids.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Here are some fun facts. Cronje has dismissed Tendulkar 8 times in all forms of cricket. Tendulkar has dismissed Inzamam 8 times in all cricket :p In comparison, Warne has dismissed Tendulkar only 4 times. Muralitharan has had him 12 times. The bowlers most successful against Tendulkar are Lee (14), McGrath (13) and Pollock (13).

Harbhajan has had Ponting 13 times in all forms of the game. Next up is Vaas with 12. Ishant has already had him 5 times. Ambrose had him 3 times.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The bowlers most successful against Lara were McGrath (18) and Nel (11).
Warne got him 10 times, Kumble 9 times, and Murali 6.

Kumble got Ponting 10 times, and Murali did so 6 times.

So, Kumble has dismissed Lara+Ponting 19 times, Murali has dismissed Sachin+Lara+Ponting 24 times, and Warne has dismissed Lara+Sachin 14 times.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting - used to be full and straight early on, though maybe these days a quick short ball works better?
Full and straight to Ponting early on never really worked, it just looked like it might. He's barely ever got out lbw in his career.