• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla ~ Discussion

Ruckus

International Captain
Amla's ODI record is just RIDICULOUS.

-62 matches
-Average touching on 60 (average actually is exactly 60 if you only include the full ODI status countries - basically an anti-minnow basher).
-SR 91.72
-Averages 35+ against every core OD team.
-Averages 50 or more in every country he has played in (including all of the big ones), except Bangladesh.
-An even better away record, but both excellent anyway.
-Awesome conversion rate.

WAFG

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I never knew his ODI record was that good. Absolutely insane.

I'm irked by giving it the 'I played against him, my story' etc but played against Amla in his time in the SA u19s and you could tell he was a class above then. Never hit fielders, timed the **** off it, nice guy, he was always going to be a star. But this good? Wow.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I never knew his ODI record was that good. Absolutely insane.

I'm irked by giving it the 'I played against him, my story' etc but played against Amla in his time in the SA u19s and you could tell he was a class above then. Never hit fielders, timed the **** off it, nice guy, he was always going to be a star. But this good? Wow.
Was his beard back then the breathtaking sight that it is now?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was his beard back then the breathtaking sight that it is now?
Absolutely nude chin. EDIT: Seems like it wasn't completely nude but not what it is now. No one else really kicked from that side but he more than made up for them.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
it's funny to me that both amla and trott have had exceptional starts to their careers. similar in that they are stoic type batsmen, especially in tests. Most of the successful ODI batsmen of the last 10-15 years have been much more flashy.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In case you didn't notice, Amla has quietly gone on to become the fastest batsman to get 100 runs. Viv Richards is now a distant second.

kingkallis

International Coach
Obviously it will be back to something real like 47.

We will be able to evaluate Amla, the ODI player only after he passes 150/200 ODIs.

smash84

The Tiger King
Amla is such a gun......keeps getting better and better.......am waiting to see how SA perform in the UAE later in the year. I expect they should be able to put up a good fight if not win the series (unlike England in 2012)

Satyanash89

Banned
Without a doubt my favorite batsman right now. Just seems so serene while batting. I love that that circular motion his bat makes, so unorthodox but strangely beautiful.

I've always thought he'd be awesome, and over the last few years he's been a lot more than simply awesome. One of the very few times my prediction about a cricketer has turned out right.
That amazing hundred at Perth just blew me away and just confirmed what I'd been feeling for years... That he has the capability to end his career as an ATG. Also showed he can step it up a gear and wrestle the initiative with a blistering innings, which was the one thing I didn't think he could do. Absolute gun.

Spark

Global Moderator
The thing about that knock was that he didn't hit that many boundaries. Only had ten when he reached his hundred (off like 90 balls).

MrPrez

International Debutant
After reading the first few posts of this thread, I find it really amazing just how much he's done in 3 years.