• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When 50= Greatness

Why are there so many averaging 50 now?

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
Listening to the ABC radio and they were talking about how many players now average above 50, and how right through history 50 meant great.

In the 70s there were only four who averaged 50+ now there must be close to a dozen. They also said that Johnson will be the bowler who has taken the most wickets this year, will have the worst average of any bowler to achieve this.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a combination of a lot of things. Sure pitches play a role and certainly bats play a role.

Id add that the last decade we are seeing players that developed their technique as youngsters in helmets. Previously we had players wear helmets that had techniques and mentality based on learning the game in a cap. It makes a big difference.

I would also add that players see more scoring opportunities that previously without a large increase in risk. Does that make them better? I dont know? Can they only do this because of the pitches and bats? I dont know. But there has certainly been a change in what is believed to be possible and prudent at the crease. I dont think we are poorer for it.

Of all the factors the more positive mentality is the biggest difference.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know about other countries but in case of India we have just been lucky to have better batsman in Dravid, Tendulkar and Sehwag and IMO these 3 would average in 50s in any era.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Batsman who average 50+ after batting 50 innings or more:

Hobbs 1908-1930
Sutcliffe 1924-1935
Hammond 1927-1947
Bradman 1928-1948
Nourse 1935-1951
Hutton 1937-1955
Compton 1937-1957
Walcott 1948-1960
Weekes 1948-1958
Sobers 1954-1974
Barrington 1955-1968
Chappell 1970-1984
Gavaskar 1971-1987
Richards 1974-1991
Miandad 1976-1993
Border 1978-1994
Waugh 1985-2004
Tendulkar 1989-2009
Lara 1990-2006
Flower 1992-2002
Hayden 1994-2009
Ponting 1995-
Kallis 1995-
Dravid 1996-
Jayawardene 1997-
MoYo- 1998-
Younis 2000-
Sangakkara 2000-
Samaraweera 2000-
Sehwag 2001-
Hussey 2005-

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What's KP averaging, 49.8 or something?

He'll be on that list sooner or later, seems to fall in and out of it

R_D

International Debutant
I imagine Smith and Clarke are also very close?
Yeah just under 50...

As to the question... What Goughy said.. the pitch a lot more flatter and bats have improved along with the positive mentality of batsman.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag barely does so in this era.
I know but I think Archie is counting them as well.

We still have to see how he holds up when he is older and reflexes aren't as good. If he continues this consistency then we have to count him as one of the greatest batsmen from India. I would.

archie mac

International Coach
I know but I think Archie is counting them as well.

We still have to see how he holds up when he is older and reflexes aren't as good. If he continues this consistency then we have to count him as one of the greatest batsmen from India. I would.
I know apart from STR his is the one us Aussies most want to see out, he can change a match very quickly.

Although I am drawn between my Country and watching him smash it to all parts, which is great entertainment:)

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't know about other countries but in case of India we have just been lucky to have better batsman in Dravid, Tendulkar and Sehwag and IMO these 3 would average in 50s in any era.
Yes to Tendulkar, most probably to Dravid and definitely not to Sehwag.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You could be right about Sehwag because right now he is at the peak of his career but If he touches 10K with 50+ average at the end of his career, I would consider him one of the greatest.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Impossible to know IMO. Sehwag bats how he does because it's so successful; his job isn't to bat in such a way as to succeed in every era; just this one. If it wasn't as successful he'd have made changes to it but there's no need.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Impossible to know IMO. Sehwag bats how he does because it's so successful; his job isn't to bat in such a way as to succeed in every era; just this one. If it wasn't as successful he'd have made changes to it but there's no need.
Thats a presumption. Its not like he hasn't had the oppurtunity to make adjustment to his technique in this era after failures. Since his retun in Adelaide 08 after being dropped due to those failures - no adjustments have been made.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thats a presumption. Its not like he hasn't had the oppurtunity to make adjustment to his technique in this era after failures.
Haha why would he though? There's no incentive. Anyway, last post on this matter; not going to let this turn into another ****ing Sehwag+aussie thread.