Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can A be 'greater' than B and B 'greater' than C but C 'greater' than A?

still scratching around in the same old hole

Can A be 'greater' than B and B 'greater' than C but C 'greater' than A?

I dont generally get too involved with the ranking or vs threads but the CW50 thread is interesting and it got me thinking:

Can A be 'greater' than B and B 'greater' than C but C 'greater' than A?

Are they absolute or is it dependant on the strengths and weaknesses of the players being compared and the matchup that each presents?

Hypothetical example.
    Tendulkar > Lara
    Lara > Waugh
    Waugh > Tendulkar
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Iain O'Brien>all

I'll leave you to it now.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I guess its possible. But in this hypotetical exam IMO Tendulkar (A) is better than Lara (B) & S Waugh (C).

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    You actually have to give an example of 3 players like that. This one is not working because Waugh is not greater than Tendulkar.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder tthen GREATNESS is in the eye of the fan
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    No, assuming you are comparing one attribute. Could be say, ability to play Shane Warne, or could be batting in general. If the criteris is constrained, then no, it is not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder tthen GREATNESS is in the eye of the fan
    I c what you did there

Be greatfull we had the privilege to c so many greats.
    Does anybody think that ESPN or 9 or Sky should bring out a BR titled:
    'The Greatest of the Greats: Greatest HITs'
    That would be great.
    How bout this great equation:
    Bradman > [{Hammond = Sobers} > the rest]

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Cricket is a game with a lot of aspects. The dynamics involved means that it is certainly possible that in condition x they three variables rank in a particular order while in y condition they rank completely differently.

Don't know about players, but I can think of a couple of occasions involving teams.

Mid1950's, England > Aus, WI > England and Aus > W I.

Mid 1960's Aus > WI, WI > England but England = Aus

Currently, i'd say India>Australia>Sri Lanka>SA>India

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    This kind of cycling can happen with head to head comparisons between teams or players in individual sports like tennis. In other words team A consistently beats B which beats C which beats A. Can't see how it applies comparisons between batsmen though since they don't go head to head. It could perhaps apply to combinations of batsmen and bowlers. So Batsman A dominates bowler B who dominates batsman C who dominates bowler D who dominates batsman A. Can't think of a real-world example though.
    Last edited by Dissector; 11-12-2009 at 02:43 AM.

As SS said, not if you're comparing apples with apples, unless you've got an inconsistency in your rating process. If you're thinking "I think Tendulkar is better than Lara, and Lara is better than Waugh, but Waugh is better than Tendulkar" (for example's sake, ferchristsakes no need to leap to Sachin's defence here), then you're just a bit confused. It's a different thing from saying "Hayden is in general better than Sehwag, and Sehwag is in general better than Atherton, but in conditions with sideways movement through the air, Atherton is better than Hayden".
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    As SS said, not if you're comparing apples with apples, unless you've got an inconsistency in your rating process. If you're thinking "I think Tendulkar is better than Lara, and Lara is better than Waugh, but Waugh is better than Tendulkar" (for example's sake, ferchristsakes no need to leap to Sachin's defence here), then you're just a bit confused. It's a different thing from saying "Hayden is in general better than Sehwag, and Sehwag is in general better than Atherton, but in conditions with sideways movement through the air, Atherton is better than Hayden".
    Yup. If you're saying one person is better than another, except in this case, it is fine. But not if you're using the same exact criteria - it's just logically impossible.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Shane Bond's name should make an appearance here in this thread surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    If you're thinking "I think Tendulkar is better than Lara, and Lara is better than Waugh, but Waugh is better than Tendulkar" (for example's sake, ferchristsakes no need to leap to Sachin's defence here), then you're just a bit confused.

Yes but Goughy's (excellent) point is that this is in fact precisely how we do think. It's not easy to encapsulate why we think that way, but we do. I think it has to do with the particular constellation of biases (for and against) that we harbour in relation to any selection of well-known players. It is only when we set one player up against the other that certain aspects of their play comes to the forefront of our minds. When we compare one of those players to another player, instinctively we focus on different aspects of their play.

Or something.

My head hurts, and I need to go to bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information