• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh dear....

I hope it's not a match-changing one.

Mathews gets his half-century. I have to admit, I'm not yet convinced that he's a number six batsman.
He's obviously weak against spin. Actually PJ is a better batsmen on Indian tracks than even Sanga / Paranavithana / Mathews. Mathews' importance will come when SL play in non-sub continental conditions. Apparently he plays pace very well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It depends on Sehwag's innings.
It will be flat for the medium pacers. Murali / Herath might pull something out of the hat against Sehwag though. Fit would not have been flat for Prasad / Fernando / Thushara though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
He's obviously weak against spin. Actually PJ is a better batsmen on Indian tracks than even Sanga / Paranavithana / Mathews. Mathews' importance will come when SL play in non-sub continental conditions. Apparently he plays pace very well.
:huh:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Just compare there performance in India and see what I mean.

Sangakkara 228 @ 25.3
PJ 265 @ 132.5

Even all round record

Sanga 653 @ 38.4
PJ 372 @ 53.1

The clear reason is PJ is a supremely gifted player when comes to playing spin.

Now he gets out trying to hit Ojha out of the attack.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The decision to keep Mishra out now seems to be one huge blooper. What were they thinking?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I thik inclusion of Ojha was better, because SL players do get after loopy leggies. But Ojha has done very well up to now.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I thik inclusion of Ojha was better, because SL players do get after loopy leggies. But Ojha has done very well up to now.
You don't drop your (second) best spinner permanently because of one bad game. Ojha's been largely dire today, bowling flat, sending wides down leg and trying merely to keep the runs down. It's now become a lot like that innings in A'bad. With Murali and Herath likely to get a lot more from the pitch, this move might just cost them the game.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
From an Indian point of view, there are a few problems that have opened up.

Zaheer's form- or lack of it: He's struggled to take wickets again. He's not done much in this series, taking few wickets in the series. When a strike bowler isn't taking wickets, there is a problem. He's stuck to pace in the low 130k range, and though his line and length were largely good, he hasn't got enough. A cause for concern, maybe? There was some hope with the new ball late in the innings.

Sreesanth's 'turnaround': Not quite the ideal turnaround. He's had a good game at Kanpur, but he's been a near-total failure here, bar one spell in the afternoon. He appears to be trying too much, striving for pace, and Ravi Shastri says that he should have stuck to one delivery for most of the day. This pitch offerred little, and he's been found out here.

The run rate: A run-rate of four consistently through the day isn't good news for the Indians. They struggled largely on a flat deck, and ample space between fielders. They bowled a little rubbish here and there, but they seem to have been undone by a flat deck, yet again. The names have changed at times, and they've had their best on show, but they fell apart on a flat one yet again.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
From an Indian point of view, there are a few problems that have opened up.

Zaheer's form- or lack of it: He's struggled to take wickets again. He's not done much in this series, taking few wickets in the series. When a strike bowler isn't taking wickets, there is a problem. He's stuck to pace in the low 130k range, and though his line and length were largely good, he hasn't got enough. A cause for concern, maybe? There was some hope with the new ball late in the innings.

Sreesanth's 'turnaround': Not quite the ideal turnaround. He's had a good game at Kanpur, but he's been a near-total failure here, bar one spell in the afternoon. He appears to be trying too much, striving for pace, and Ravi Shastri says that he should have stuck to one delivery for most of the day. This pitch offerred little, and he's been found out here.
Zeeks always been crap in Asia though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Let's just hope they don't lose one more of their best players because of a bad game or series. They've laid off too many.
I agree, I've never been a big Zeek fan but when I watched his tours of England and New Zealand he really impressed me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
NUFAN said:
Hey Aussie, just checking before Sehwag bats if the pitch is considered flat or not? Thanks in advance.
It will be flat for the medium pacers. Murali / Herath might pull something out of the hat against Sehwag though. Fit would not have been flat for Prasad / Fernando / Thushara though.
Migara has answered the question here Nufan..

Cruxdude

International Debutant
This pitch is no way flat. Ball is turning a mile from the first session. Good bounce. Should be a proper test match.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This pitch is no way flat. Ball is turning a mile from the first session. Good bounce. Should be a proper test match.
It is flat for the seamers. Saw the first session this morning & there was no movement in the pitch for Khan & Sreesanth (although the bounce seemed consistent through to Dhoni)

As Migara rightfully said if SRI had Malinga/Prasad/Thurshura bowlers who are quick through the air. Plus if this test was played on tradition bowlers friendly Wankhede stadium instead of this Brabourone, Sehwag would have been in trouble.

As it stands i dont see how Kulasekera & Walegedara will trouble Sehwag. The real test will come from Murali based on the turn that has been on display.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer's a Green Top Bully.
Perhaps. It is hard to say, it is clear that he has a degree of intelligence. He uses the bouncer in great quantity and to some success when all seems futile, he is not afraid to throw the ball up full, but his stock delivery just seems to be too wayward. Perhaps it is age catching up with him, perhaps he is just not the most accurate bowler - I guess only time will tell. However, I do not discount future strong performances from Zaheer on flat tracks and I think, that with the amount of tried and tested bowlers in Asia in Test cricket, we can allow him bad form, as long as he shows these promising signs.

As much as I rallied against Sreesanth's selection, I must admit that he has not done too badly. I do struggle to understand how a bowler who moves the ball so much, at good speed, struggled to take wickets for Warwickshire and Kerala - it just does not add up for me. He has been loose, but he has always been prone to the odd poor delivery - anyone who swings the ball big, as he does, will be prone to that. It is a shame that he has not learned to keep to a stock ball and look to get in the variation as a surprise ball. He has been varying inswing and outswing too much and if anything, it keeps the batsman on their toes. The value of keeping a variation as a surprise showed when he got a wicket with the first bouncer of his spell. Alas, I think this was down to merely shelving the unsuccessful bouncer rather than any sort of long term planning.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
In some time we will have pitches which are flat for left arm spinners, off spinners, mystery bowlers and so on. Pitch has good bounce and good turn. A fast bowler who can hurry the batsman would be a handful. That the sri lankan bowlers might not be able to do that (I dont say they cant) will not make it a flat track.