Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Your All Time Teams for Every Format (After 1975)

  1. #16
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    24,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Zoehrer finished up bowling leggies in WA, didn't he?

    Agree though - Greg Dyer FTW.
    Dyer choice.

  2. #17
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    TEST:

    Gavaskar
    Greenidge
    V Richards
    Tendulkar
    Lara
    Procter
    Imran Khan
    Knott
    Marshall
    Warne
    Lillee

    ODIs:

    Tendulkar
    Gilchrist
    V Richards
    Ponting
    Bevan
    Imran Khan
    Cairns
    Klusener
    Akram
    Garner
    Murali

    T20s:

    Gilchrist
    Jayasuriya
    V Richards
    KP
    Symonds
    Klusener
    Cairns
    Flintoff
    Akram
    Warne
    Murali

  3. #18
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    42,773
    I reckon Pollock ahead of Klusener in the T20 lineup. Cairns @ 6, Flintoff @ 7 and Pollock @ 8 is a lot of batting and you get one of the most economical bowlers in history in the lineup as well. Klusener might be just a little too much batting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

  4. #19
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,898
    No McGrath in any format (except perhaps T20) = fail.


  5. #20
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,646
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    No McGrath in any format (except perhaps T20) = fail.
    Agree with this was also surprised not to see Warne in ODI side listed above far better than Murali in this format of the game
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  6. #21
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,989
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    No McGrath in any format (except perhaps T20) = fail.
    Think the more glaring fail is Proctor (last match in 1970)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  7. #22
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Agree with this was also surprised not to see Warne in ODI side listed above far better than Murali in this format of the game
    How so? Murali was his superior on pretty much every measure, particularly economy rate. Warne's 99 World Cup achievements aside, Murali does better than him in this form as well.

  8. #23
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CSK
    Posts
    22,610
    Tests

    Matthew Hayden
    Sunil Gavaskar
    Viv Richards
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Brian Lara
    Adam Gilchrist
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Shane Warne
    Muthiah Muralitharan
    Glenn Mcgrath

    ODIs

    Sachin Tendulkar
    Matthew Hayden
    Viv Richards
    Ricky Ponting
    MS Dhoni
    Michael Bevan
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Wasim Akram
    Curtly Ambrose
    Mutthiah Muralitharan

    T20

    Matthew Hayden
    Chris Gayle
    Viv Richards
    Ricky Ponting
    MS Dhoni
    Andrew Symonds
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Shane Warne
    Wasim Akram
    Muthiah Muralitharan

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    No McGrath in any format (except perhaps T20) = fail.
    Its all a matter of personal choice. But i'd say for the test team, Lillee/Marshall/Imran had all of McGrath's qualities but with more pace.


    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Think the more glaring fail is Proctor (last match in 1970)
    I quite deliberating went againts the rules. Since Prcoter would have been playing test cricket in 1975 if it weren't for aparthied & he really was the best all-rounder in the world in 1975.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai
    I reckon Pollock ahead of Klusener in the T20 lineup. Cairns @ 6, Flintoff @ 7 and Pollock @ 8 is a lot of batting and you get one of the most economical bowlers in history in the lineup as well. Klusener might be just a little too much batting.
    I would say Klusener at his peak (batting) would be a must pick in a T20 XI tbh. If one could be dropped for Pollock it would have to be Cairns or Flintoff.
    Last edited by aussie; 03-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.

  10. #25
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,092
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Its all a matter of personal choice. But i'd say for the test team, Lillee/Marshall/Imran had all of McGrath's qualities but with more pace.
    Perhaps. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, though. McGrath took more wickets than any of those bowlers at a better average than all bar Marshall, and will, evidently, go down in history as the only fast bowler to excel during this decade. If Lillee and Imran were clones of McGrath only faster, I propose that the extra pace must have been a handicap.

  11. #26
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,989
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    II quite deliberating went againts the rules. Since Prcoter would have been playing test cricket in 1975 if it weren't for aparthied & he really was the best all-rounder in the world in 1975.
    That's all completely irrelevant - he didn't play in the timespan specified and there's no guarantee that he'd have been a Test success, let alone the best all rounder in 30+ years so he cannot be selected in such an eleven.

  12. #27
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    9,378
    Marc, there are no "guarantees" in any of this. There's no guarantee that Imran would be a success today. There's no guarantee that Hobbs would. There's no guarantee that Hick wouldn't have averaged 99.95 if he had played between the 20s and 40s. There's no guarantee that Viv Richards would have succeeded in T20 cricket.

    Mike Procter was plainly, obviously, glaringly, indisputably, and without a smidgeon of an iota of a shadow of doubt one of the very best all-rounders in the world in 1975 who would have been absolutely outstanding as a Test player. There's no "guarantee" of this, but so what? He was very probably the best around at that time. Who else was there between the end of Sobers and the start of Botham? The fact that he didn't get to play Test cricket for 15 years is not his fault, and it shouldn't be held against him.
    Last edited by zaremba; 03-11-2009 at 01:50 PM.

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Well said Zaremba sir..

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Perhaps. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, though. McGrath took more wickets than any of those bowlers at a better average than all bar Marshall, and will, evidently, go down in history as the only fast bowler to excel during this decade. If Lillee and Imran were clones of McGrath only faster, I propose that the extra pace must have been a handicap.
    McGrath for anyone who loves stats is the perfect bowler. But for me those 3 bowlers including Hadlee based on what i've read (given i never saw any of them bowl live) i would definately put them ahead of Pigeon.

    I certainly believe if Lillee/marshall/Hadlee/Imran had played in this 2000s era of flat decks & small boundaries they had the skills to be equally as effective as Pigeon.

  15. #30
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    10,324
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Marc, there are no "guarantees" in any of this. There's no guarantee that Imran would be a success today. There's no guarantee that Hobbs would. There's no guarantee that Hick wouldn't have averaged 99.95 if he had played between the 20s and 40s. There's no guarantee that Viv Richards would have succeeded in T20 cricket.

    Mike Procter was plainly, obviously, glaringly, indisputably, and without a smidgeon of an iota of a shadow of doubt one of the very best all-rounders in the world in 1975 who would have been absolutely outstanding as a Test player. There's no "guarantee" of this, but so what? He was very probably the best around at that time. Who else was there between the end of Sobers and the start of Botham? The fact that he didn't get to play Test cricket for 15 years is not his fault, and it shouldn't be held against him.
    That is true, but it's still completely bonkers to pick Procter ahead of Ian Botham considering he was nearly 30 by 1975 and Botham's entire superior career fits within the time frame.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What time do Pro40 games start?
    By wilwak in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
  2. Twin teams for internationals?
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 05:48 AM
  3. Champions League Expanded from Eight to Twelve Teams
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 30-05-2009, 01:04 AM
  4. All time best player of all teams
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •