• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India - ODIs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
technically i wont call sachin's shot a choke. it was a total screw up. choke is what happens when you succumb to pressure. with 19 needed of 18 and with sachin batting on 175 the game belonged to india and the pressure was on australia. credit to australia for keeping the fight going till the end. but sachin really messed it up with a terrible shot. it is a screw up. he has choked before in fourth innings of tests failing to bat out a session or two to draw a tough game. but this match was virtually in his pockets before that mistake.

having said that.... it was a privilege to see that innings. a real masterclass.

it was embarassing to hear the crowd boo ponting. WTF is their problem with him???
Every panto needs a villain mate :)

Frakstar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Awesome game, fantastic batting by the little master, Australia absorbed the pressure well and are doing fantastically given their injury situation.

Good to see Dhoni being as gracious as ever:-O.....not one word of congratulations uttered Australia's way, typical really.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I personally think it was a choke by Sachin (and I'd be lying to myself if I denied it), but 3 other individuals in that team had the pressure get to them even more... Raina, Jadeja and Nehra.
I agree.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You can use another word for it if you like. It was definitely an unnecessary shot which was blatantly stupid to play given the situation of the match. You can call it a moment of madness. You can call it any thing you like. The shot was just not on in my opinion.

When he played the unconventional shots earlier, the required run rate was of above 7, so he needed to make that extra effort to keep up with the run rate. He didn't when he played the shot which got him out.

I am not taking any thing away from his inning though for I think it was a fabulous inning.

I am one of the biggest Tendulkar fans on this forum but I will criticise him when I think he needs to be criticised.
As i said before i won't cast blame Tendy, after Raina got out, they lacked a Boucher/Bevan type player at the end thats why the lost, since they really should have won.

If you comapre INDs chase to SAs world record chase in 2006 vs AUS, Gibbs who also made 175 played a dumb shot with the bowling at his mercy & the game to win - thus giving AUS an opening back. The difference then was SA had Boucher to finish things off - IND lacked such a player.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It was a good match. Thought the game was done and dusted when Dhoni got out (What a catch that was!). Was a privilege seeing Sachin bat like this. It was thrilling watching him bat. I wouldn't call it a useless innings. It was a masterclass cut short by madness at the last minute. I actually expected Sachin to get 200. A few more like this in the near future would be great.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't blame Tendulkar solely for losing this game for us of course.
coming from you, that's horrible man, damn right you shouldn't blame him, he was the only reason we were still in the game! i knew the choker theorists would be out in full force, just wasn't expecting you and jono to be a part of it...:)

Awesome game, fantastic batting by the little master, Australia absorbed the pressure well and are doing fantastically given their injury situation.

Good to see Dhoni being as gracious as ever:-O.....not one word of congratulations uttered Australia's way, typical really.
Some of Pontings ater match comments:
"Harbhajan played well in the end."
"Credit to India who outplayed us in all departments"
"Yuvraj and Dhoni were superb"
"India outplayed us today"
"India bowled well"
"certainly one of the best innings ever from Sachin"

These are taken from all five games, Dhoni not once gives any credit to Australia or any of our players.

Frakstar

Some of Pontings ater match comments:
"Harbhajan played well in the end."
"Credit to India who outplayed us in all departments"
"Yuvraj and Dhoni were superb"
"India outplayed us today"
"India bowled well"
"certainly one of the best innings ever from Sachin"

These are taken from all five games, Dhoni not once gives any credit to Australia or any of our players.
Yep, people love to stick the boots into Ricky for every perceived mistake he makes, yet Dhoni's lack of sportsmanship goes by unnoticed...

Xuhaib

International Coach
As i said before i won't cast blame Tendy, after Raina got out, they lacked a Boucher/Bevan type player at the end thats why the lost, since they really should have won.

If you comapre INDs chase to SAs world record chase in 2006 vs AUS, Gibbs who also made 175 played a dumb shot with the bowling at his mercy & the game to won - thus giving AUS an opening back. The difference then was SA had Boucher to finish things off - IND lacked such a played
agree with this.

bagapath

International Captain
wish dhoni shows a little more respect for the opposition like his aussie counterpart.

ricky ponting is a terrific sportsman. besides being a rock-star of a batsman and one of the greatest fielders of all time, he has also played the game in the right spirit throughout his career. too much was made out of the sydney test and all of it is very unfair to ponting. india fell like a pack of cards, not unlike last evening, when they could have controlled the situation with just one sane brain on field. rather than accepting their short comings, the losers decided to blame the opposition captain for no reason; only ganguly spoke sense. i love the way ricky has been handling the boos in england and india with a smile and carrying on doing what he does best - play cricket like very few human beings could. (ikki and aussie, i hope you read this and realize my unadulterated love for ponting)

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Just watching the extended highlights of Watto at the moment, IMO he's never played a better innings than that one. All of his hundreds/big scores he's struggled early and gotten better as it went on, this innings was amazing.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Somehow, Jadeja's batting has become a bad omen for India. Starting from T20world cup (ind vs eng) to the this match, one can find the statistics supports the statement. Last night, he kept Sachin away from strike for nearly 3 overs and that made sachin to play that "Misbah" shot . (Result:similar to the way Misbah ended in sreesanth's hand in short-fine-leg and the match-result..)

Frakstar

Yeah, Let's make Sourav Ganguly Captain again, that will make you happy.
Way to avoid the issue.

Couldn't have hurt him to say "well played Australia" instead we get rubbish like, "I don't think it was the talent part", well guess what MS, the most talented team won on the night.:laugh:

Frakstar

wish dhoni shows a little more respect for the opposition like his aussie counterpart.

ricky ponting is terific sportsman. besides being a rockstar of a batsman and one of the greatest fielders of all time, he has also played the game in the right spirt throughout his career. too much was made out of the sydney test and all of it is very unfair to ponting. india fell like a pack of cards, not unlike last evening, when they could have controlled the situation with just one sane brain on field. rather than accepting their short comings, the losers decided to blame the opposition captain for no reason; only ganguly spoke sense. i love the way ricky has been handling the boos in england and india with a smile and carrying on doing what he does best - play cricket like very few human beings could. (ikki and aussie, i hope you read this and realize my unadultrated love for ponting)
This wins

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Ponting's definitely a sporting captain.

He just throws it in with being an ass at times, and when he acts like an ass, its pretty in your face that you can't ignore it.

Notorious1

Tendulkar's reason in the Pakistan test was that he was writhing in pain and he needed to hit out as he couldn't last much longer on the wicket. That is fairly reasonable and I don't blame Tendulkar for the Chennai test. That was just a ludicrous failure of our tailenders. A choke by India even bigger than the one we saw today, mind you.
Only 12 or 17 more runs were needed. He could have stayed there for few more minutes.

He had played a bad shot earlier aswell, before he got to his 100 when Moin missed an easy stumping.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Only 12 or 17 more runs were needed. He could have stayed there for few more minutes.
When you are in pain, you can't really stay at the wicket beyond your thresh hold.

He had played a bad shot earlier aswell, before he got to his 100 when Moin missed an easy stumping.
He is not God. Even Lara gave a catch to the keeper in his 153.