Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Golden Matchups

State Vice-Captain
    Regarding Warne vs. Viv, this is one battle of the egos I would pay to see. Just to see Warne's mindgames vs. Richards' swagger.

I envision this as either Warne getting Richard's wicket early through a miscued shot or stumping, or Richards carting Warne around the park. But overall, I think Richards' sharp reflexes and fearlessness in getting to the pitch of the ball would give him a slight 6/10 advantage over Warne. But what a battle it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Regarding Warne vs. Viv, this is one battle of the egos I would pay to see. Just to see Warne's mindgames vs. Richards' swagger.

I envision this as either Warne getting Richard's wicket early through a miscued shot or stumping, or Richards carting Warne around the park. But overall, I think Richards' sharp reflexes and fearlessness in getting to the pitch of the ball would give him a slight 6/10 advantage over Warne. But what a battle it would be.
    Indeed. I could imagine it already. Warne vs Lara, Richards, Sobers in a hypotetical match-up is mouth watering as well overall.

Nah I think we've seen enough of Lara vs Warne to conclude that Warne would be torn to shreds, Same applies for Sobers. Do think he has a very good shot at Viv though (particularly on a spinners wicket) but overall Warne would be slaughtered.

Mcgrath or Lillee vs the above now that would be a treat!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
    Dont get it twisted Bag, i dont want u to think i am picking on Tendy, Like i said against ne of the top rung fast bowlers Im goin to give that bowler the edge over a top rung batsman unless that batsman is the Don.

Incidentally, I'd also give similar odds to many of the modern greats (Kallis, DRavid, Lara not Ponting though)
    Do you mean you think that Ponting would do better or worse than the others?

Nah I think we've seen enough of Lara vs Warne to conclude that Warne would be torn to shreds, Same applies for Sobers. Do think he has a very good shot at Viv though (particularly on a spinners wicket) but overall Warne would be slaughtered.

Mcgrath or Lillee vs the above now that would be a treat!!
    Likewise I think we saw enough of McGrath v Lara and Lillee v Richards to conclude honours just about even - the each bowler had plenty of success against their batsman, but Viv and Brian also managed to score a hell of a lot of runs when they got going.

Sobers v any of the above would be fascinating. We saw a young Lillee against a late-career Sobers in 71/72 and that was electrifying enough, but a pitched battle with everyone in their prime would be something else.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Captain
    Barry Richards v Murali.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Do you mean you think that Ponting would do better or worse than the others?

Likewise I think we saw enough of McGrath v Lara and Lillee v Richards to conclude honours just about even - the each bowler had plenty of success against their batsman, but Viv and Brian also managed to score a hell of a lot of runs when they got going.

Sobers v any of the above would be fascinating. We saw a young Lillee against a late-career Sobers in 71/72 and that was electrifying enough, but a pitched battle with everyone in their prime would be something else.
    I think Ponting would do better on a whole vs quality fast bowling than Tendy/Lara. Eagerly awaiting the expected fallout from this statement

I think Ponting would do better on a whole vs quality fast bowling than Tendy/Lara. Eagerly awaiting the expected fallout from this statement
    Ha ha, me too actually.

State Vice-Captain
    Better than Lara perhaps, around the same as Tendulkar though. Not near them when it comes to playing spin though.

I will take the bait.

Ball swinging in from just back of a good length at 140Kmph+ and Ponting woulgn't last long. Ishant Sharma - an average fast bowler exposed him in tests(for a brief time) and Bond was freakishly good against him too. What would legendary fast bowlers do? He has about as good a chance as the others at being good against quality pace bowling.

I think Ponting would do better on a whole vs quality fast bowling than Tendy/Lara.
    me too. the other two are better than ricky in handling spin. that doesnt mean ponting was crap against the turning ball or sachin and lara were running away from pace bowling though.
    Last edited by bagapath; 09-10-2009 at 12:19 AM.

International Captain
    Not sure about forum fall out, but there might be a risk of men in white coats carting you off to the funny farm.

Better than Lara perhaps, around the same as Tendulkar though.
    I tend to agree with this. None of them were poor against pace, obviously, but I'd tend to go with Tendulkar = Ponting > Lara route. Lara was the best player of spin out of the three though.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Waqar 90-96 vs Dravid 2002-2006

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Waqar 90-96 vs Dravid 2002-2006
    It's more like Waqar 90-94, he was sidelined for a year in 1995 and his pace was dramatically reduced after that.

I would back Waqar 6-7/10, Dravid at his peak never faced many high pace fast bowlers and Waqar was as devastating as they come.

Dravid at his peak never faced many high pace fast bowlers .
    his peak and mcgrath/akhthar/pollock's peaks were not too far off. also, he played donald at his pomp (while dravid was still one rung below greatness) and handled him pretty well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information