• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Compaq Cup 2009 in Sri Lanka

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tue Sep 8
1st Match - Sri Lanka v New Zealand
R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

Fri Sep 11
2nd Match - India v New Zealand

Sat Sep 12
3rd Match - Sri Lanka v India

Mon Sep 14
Final - TBC v TBC

Play this series on Cricket Web Fantasy Cricket

Forum Public Competition Key - 1251630113​

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
There's 2 Twenty20's between Sri Lanka and NZ but they're separate to this series.

Hence the different thread :)

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The value of the tournament is often reflected by the choice of sponsors. We've had these forgotten brands (Kitply) sponsor some, while some tournaments launched some others (IDBI Fortis Wealthsurance), among the most useless ODI series. Compaq is an interesting choice, as it is a famous brand.
D/N matches in Colombo = Win the toss, bat first, win the game.
Exactly. Some teams get an easy advantage with this, but often end up victims of the same.

Lostman

State Captain
Compaq is an interesting choice, as it is a famous brand.

Exactly. Some teams get an easy advantage with this, but often end up victims of the same.
Check out the trophy;

England and Australia play for 2 months and the winner gets a silly little ugly urn.
IND, NZ and SL compete for 1 week for a trophy that looks like it has an LCD in it.
So its easy to see that the compaq trophy>>>> ashes. :tongue:

Aslo speaking of R.Premadasa stadium, one WC semi is scheduled to be played here. It is going to be a real joke if it is D/N game.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If I were to make a bet with my head I would bet on India. But I think these are three good ODI sides.
I am rooting for NZ. With the return of Shane Bond NZ gets its X factor back and hopefully someone who won't go for plenty in the last ten overs.
NZ's fortunes are likely going to be determined by their middle order - likely to be Elliot Broom and Oram. I am rooting for Broom to show he is an international quality player so that he can get selected for the test team.
If the middle order performs then New Zealand has a chance.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Check out the trophy;

England and Australia play for 2 months and the winner gets a silly little ugly urn.
IND, NZ and SL compete for 1 week for a trophy that looks like it has an LCD in it.
So its easy to see that the compaq trophy>>>> ashes. :tongue:
That urn is still better looking than this modern-art monstrosity.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What an odd little series :huh:. I'd assumed there were more games than this... not just one round.

Anyone could win, but if batting first really = win then count NZ out. Everyone knows we're hopeless at setting a target. McCullum in particular when opening seems confused as to how to approach batting (familiar story?) when we bat first. Am still excited about the series though - I still like ODIs though I'll pass on the 20/20s.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I think NZ and India would make it through to the finals, I think Sri Lanka aren't really a stable limited overs side atm, they tend to rely a bit to heavily on Dilshan or Mahela or Sanga, and if they faltter then there isn't much support around them.

NZ and India on the other hand have much more balanced limited overs sides, but eventually I can see India winning this.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
I think NZ and India would make it through to the finals, I think Sri Lanka aren't really a stable limited overs side atm, they tend to rely a bit to heavily on Dilshan or Mahela or Sanga, and if they faltter then there isn't much support around them.

NZ and India on the other hand have much more balanced limited overs sides, but eventually I can see India winning this.
This is a very short series and anything can happen on a particular day... However, I reckon NZ will have the advantage over India as Bond came back to the side,,,,and Black Caps are grouping very well as a winning unit