• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali to retire from Test Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Thats where I think it falls down, What response do you expect if you tell someone that just because they think a players bowling action is suspect they are equivalent of racists and unintelligent.
I was just using it for comparison purposes.

I hope that I'm not an unintelligent bigot, but like I said, some doubt just tends to remain sometimes. My post reads badly but I'm just trying to explain why

I hope that I'm not an unintelligent bigot, but like I said, some doubt just tends to remain sometimes. My post reads badly but I'm just trying to explain why
Yours or my opinion of a bowlers action is about as important as todays horoscope.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yes of course, but after all, its a forum so I thought I'd include an honest opinion and explanation.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You have quoted me and put a question mark on the end, I dont get the question. Probably best if you and I dont discuss things.
Well how would you respond be if people went in every Warne thread and start making comments about Shane Warne being a drug Cheat and Match Fixer ?

pasag

RTDAS
Murali doesn't deserve this ****.

Shutter to think what the thread will be like when the great man actually retires.

Apparently supports the Crows :ph34r:
and is signed for the Bushrangers. Could play more T20 for our state than Warne :laugh:

What a guy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Honestly now, can the mods please just remove the off-topic debate?

If in a Sachin, Warne, McGrath, Lara or Ponting thread **** was brought up about these players (choker, drug cheat, dickhead on the field, never gave a ****, nightclub fighting hooligan) in a retirement thread there would be hell to pay.

Same should be done for Murali.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

There's nothing wrong with holding doubts. Murali's action doesn't appear as clean as other's.

Regardless of what the science says (and I'm firmly in the camp that Murali's action is legit.), there's no getting away from the fact that his action doesn't look good. Same with Johan Botha - I remember posting in the tour thread when South Africa toured England in 2008 that Botha's action looked dreadful.

But at the end of the day, comparing Murali's action to Warne and saying it looks bad isn't much different from comparing Collingwood's technique to Vaughan's and saying Collingwood looks terrible.

Sir Alex

Banned
There's nothing wrong with holding doubts. Murali's action doesn't appear as clean as other's.

Regardless of what the science says (and I'm firmly in the camp that Murali's action is legit.), there's no getting away from the fact that his action doesn't look good. Same with Johan Botha - I remember posting in the tour thread when South Africa toured England in 2008 that Botha's action looked dreadful.

But at the end of the day, comparing Murali's action to Warne and saying it looks bad isn't much different from comparing Collingwood's technique to Vaughan's and saying Collingwood looks terrible.
The aesthetic aspect of his action is such a minor point and tbh that is very subjective. I personally find Murali's run up, his bulging of eyes at point of delivery etc to be fascinating. The notion has about the same purchase as "I dislike Murali because I just dislike him".

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The aesthetic aspect of his action is such a minor point and tbh that is very subjective. I personally find Murali's run up, his bulging of eyes at point of delivery etc to be fascinating. The notion has about the same purchase as "I dislike Murali because I just dislike him".
The aesthetics are important, because it's what leads people to have doubts.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but when I personally describe an action as terrible, I mean it in the context of the bowler potentially chucking it, not how classical etc. it looks. I've no problems with Malinga's action, because it's quite clear that his arm is straight when he delivers it. Botha's action looks suspect, Murali's unfortunately does too.

I'm trying to think of a good example for quick bowlers, I think Shaun Tait's action looks pretty poor at times as well.

As I've said, I'm firmly in the "Murali doesn't chuck it" camp. The man's been through enough biomechanical tests to prove that. However, his action can still look suspect, and it's why people who aren't as convinced by the evidence out there, or who haven't seen it, might harbour doubts over the legality of it.

edit: Murali's inability to straighten his elbows unfortunately doesn't help how clean his action looks, although it's utterly inconsequential.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Doubting biomedical opinion and thinking Murali chucks it, is equivalent to ignoring the fact that earth revolves around the sun and thinking that celestial objects revolves around earth.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
this is a subject that will never go away. i accept that if it has been proven then he isn't a chucker. but he still has to many a dodgy action.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Doubting biomedical opinion and thinking Murali chucks it, is equivalent to ignoring the fact that earth revolves around the sun and thinking that celestial objects revolves around earth.
I'd liken my point more to having doubts that the earth is round.

Status
Not open for further replies.