• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well who would know if they actually are. No accounts published by them in any Caribbean paper.
It's quite well known that WICB and West Indies cricket is in debt. And with the lack of major sponsors, poor attendances, and general failure of the team, it's naive to think that those debts are not substantial. The World Cup was not as magnificent a revival as hoped.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I have no doubt that the board are not rich but I don't know how the finances are. Pretty sure they got all the debt they owed written off recently and then they had the World Cup money.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Image rights are owned by a subsidiary of WIPA. Essentially the WICB rents them before each series, it seems. But WIPA insists that no action will be taken against the two.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Now that a public admission has been made by Ramnarine that no action will be taken, I can't see WIPA getting away with taking action regardless of what happens. At the end of the day there is no WIPA without the support of the players. And that would definitely kill such support.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good stuff from Omar Phillips and night watchman Austin. Phillips closing in on his maiden test 50.

Looks like the Bangla Boys have lost both their frontline seamers, the captain and Shahadat Hossain due to injury.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I guess some good can come out of this game, the chance that Bangladesh could be humiliated by the third string of a crap side.. Kind of like when they got beaten by Zimbabwe.. Such is their hopelessness that I find myself taking great pleasure out of seeing them get hammered..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Let's not get carried away and call West Indies a crap side. Not when they won the last proper series genuinely.

shivfan

Banned
Now that a public admission has been made by Ramnarine that no action will be taken, I can't see WIPA getting away with taking action regardless of what happens. At the end of the day there is no WIPA without the support of the players. And that would definitely kill such support.
Ramnarine's statement still sounded like a thinly-veiled threat to Miller and Pascal....
:unsure:

shivfan

Banned
Let's not get carried away and call West Indies a crap side. Not when they won the last proper series genuinely.
Exactly....

When I last checked, the WI beat England 1-0 in a five-Test series in the Caribbean.
:cool:
If the WI are a crap side, then so are England.

Good knock by Phillips. I think that should put him in reckoning for a place in the WI side when this striking fiasco is finally resolved.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richards and Barath both deserve opportunities ahead of Phillips. In that order too. I can easily see Morton opening with Gayle if the players return next Test though.

Phillips looked good for the most part, but on the whole was too loose. And unlike Phillip Hughes, he doesn't have enough natural talent to score shedloads despite being loose. He needs to tighten up his game and move his feet more, because yes he scored 94, but it was on a flat track against half of a poor attack.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I'm not really a fan of the whole "we got stuffed in England, therefore it doesn't count" attitude of West Indies fans.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm not really a fan of the whole "we got stuffed in England, therefore it doesn't count" attitude of West Indies fans.
No, it does count because the West Indies entered into it. That's a technicality though, because the fact is that the series should not have happened at all. Quit the presumptuousness, because that was my feeling before a ball was bowled on the tour. It was hastily organized, poorly scheduled, and played for a trophy that should never have been involved.

Last edited:

Uppercut

No, it does count because the West Indies entered into it. That's a technicality though, because the fact is that the series should not have happened at all. Quit the presumptuousness, because that was my feeling before a ball was bowled on the tour. It was hastily organized, poorly scheduled, and played for a trophy that should have never been involved.
You have a point about the trophy, but it's hard to feel much sympathy after the cricket-killing tactics the West Indies used to win it back.

I wasn't referring directly to you, but the feeling I get from the Caribbean is that if the West Indies had gone to England and won 2-0 it'd be hailed as a huge revival and assertion of dominance. But they lost 2-0, and it wasn't even a real series apparently.

shivfan

Banned
And I'm not really a fan of the "let's get totally down on the side because they performed badly in the last series" attitude of posters....
8-)
I understand that Phillips is fairly new, but to me he's the incumbent now. I don't think the strikers should automatically walk back into the side without competition from those who answered the call.

The 200 is up now.