• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Swing

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Cannot believe that you can get coventional swing at 110k. If it occurs must be contrast swing. I bowled around 105k mark, +/- 5k may be with my medium pacers, but can get banana swing out of it. But the way it swings just depends on the release. I can bowl in swingers with seam pointing towards the slip (~15 degrees). Once I change the grip, release and action a little bit, starts swinging out. Convetional swing is heavily seam dependent, and rarely happens below 120k to best of my knowledge.

The banana swing which starts from the hand usually is conventional swing. The hooping latw swing is most of the time conventional or reverse.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cannot believe that you can get coventional swing at 110k. If it occurs must be contrast swing. I bowled around 105k mark, +/- 5k may be with my medium pacers, but can get banana swing out of it. But the way it swings just depends on the release. I can bowl in swingers with seam pointing towards the slip (~15 degrees). Once I change the grip, release and action a little bit, starts swinging out. Convetional swing is heavily seam dependent, and rarely happens below 120k to best of my knowledge.

The banana swing which starts from the hand usually is conventional swing. The hooping latw swing is most of the time conventional or reverse.
I didn't think pace had anything to do with conventional swing...I bowled big inswingers when I was in under 15s, and I reckon would've been about 80-90kph at most. I'm pretty sure I wasn't reversing it...didn't even know what that was at the time. I knew if I point the rough-side in though it'd go. I've seen a number of guys do the same and none of them were over 120kph at the time either.

This was before there were 20 different names for individual types of swing bowling though :cool:

I also thought your wrist position at release determined how late it went. At least I'm reasonably sure that's what I've heard the commentators talking about on occasion.

Jager

International Debutant

I have to disagree with you there, 105km/h deliveries can generate large amounts of swing, for example:

Kumar Sangakkara bowling - YouTube

Sangakkara was bowling away swing at the most gentle of paces, between 100 and 105 if I remember correctly.

Meridio

International Regular
Reverse swing is a lot more natural than people think IMO. It just occurs when one side of the ball becomes heavier than the other; due to the rough side losing leather and the shiny side gaining moisture. Both these things occur naturally when shining the ball to generate conventional swing.
Weight has nothing to do with reverse swing. It happens when the rough side gets to a certain level of roughness which changes the air flow over that side of the ball - it becomes turbulent rather than laminar, causing the flow to 'stick' to that half of the ball longer than it does on the shiny side. This results in different pressures acting on the two halves of the ball; hence there is a nett sideways force and therefore swing.

smash84

The Tiger King
gravity has no bearing on reverse swing which is lateral movement hence weight of the ball has been ruled out :ph34r:

Debris

International 12th Man
gravity has no bearing on reverse swing which is lateral movement hence weight of the ball has been ruled out :ph34r:
I believe that you have forgotten to take into account the position of the moon, which will clearly attract the ball towards it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a scientifically proven fact that reverse swing happens when the ball finally realises it's gay. This usually happens somewhere between the 69th over and Elton John's house.

slowfinger

International Debutant
It's a scientifically proven fact that reverse swing happens when the ball finally realises it's gay. This usually happens somewhere between the 69th over and Elton John's house.
And If I don't see you again, Good Morning Good afternoon and Good Evening!