• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Swing

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ball tampering is so overrated.

We all know players throw the ball in to the keeper on the bounce when a pitch is rough, and there is no reason why they shouldn't.

Don't see any reason why finger nails shouldn't be allowed to be used either.

Bottle caps and what not are a step further, though overall i'm not that fussed, but its such a touchy point for no reason.

Just watch the ball FFS.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ball tampering is so overrated.

We all know players throw the ball in to the keeper on the bounce when a pitch is rough, and there is no reason why they shouldn't.

Don't see any reason why finger nails shouldn't be allowed to be used either.

Bottle caps and what not are a step further, though overall i'm not that fussed, but its such a touchy point for no reason.

Just watch the ball FFS.
The complaint that bothers me is running on the pitch. As if, for example, Shahid Afridi walking across it is going to make the slightest difference to whether Pakistan win.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
The complaint that bothers me is running on the pitch. As if, for example, Shahid Afridi walking across it is going to make the slightest difference to whether Pakistan win.
why the example has to be about PAKISTAN??????????????????

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Err because there is an international conspiracy against Pakistan because everyone in the world hates them. Why else?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
why the example has to be about PAKISTAN??????????????????
It's not about Pakistan. It's about Shahid Afridi.

And if you read his post rather than just jerking your knee, the reason why Uppercut raised the example was to make the point that it's not as serious a crime as everyone else makes out.

For what it's worth, I think what Afridi did was the most blatant and outrageous piece of cheating I've ever seen. And I couldn't give a toss what country he comes from.

Xuhaib

International Coach

And if you read his post rather than just jerking your knee, the reason why Uppercut raised the example was to make the point that it's not as serious a crime as everyone else makes out.

For what it's worth, I think what Afridi did was the most blatant and outrageous piece of cheating I've ever seen. And I couldn't give a toss what country he comes from.
haha...yeah deserved a 5 match atleast I think.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rashid Latif just carries the day (or rather picks it up off the floor) for me.

And, yes, connoisseurs of irony will note it's another Pakistan player...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Good God. Well I've just posted the link to that cricinfo article on the YouTube page. I feel very at home posting comments there, you see.

Edit: For some reason I can't post my comment there. Perhaps it filters out posts that aren't racist, crudely insulting and badly spelled

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Thats exactly the point.

We, all of us, Indians, Pakistanis, Aussies, Kiwis, the lot, need to keep our nationalistic emotions in check when debating or discussing stuff. It adds nothing to the argument except, on many occasions, vitiating the debate itself. Letting one's nationalistic fervour destroy one's credibility does damage to both sets of emotions but the latter is more vital since a weak credibility affects almost everything else we say and others' perception of it.

Yes- what Afridi did was blatant cheating and was and looked horrendous. What the Pakistani bowlers did in 80's and 90's with soda bottle crowns' to the cricket ball was a clear infringement of laws and they knew it but went about it because no one realised what was happening and just because you are a Pakistani you dont have to go on and on to defend it.

And that's not all.

What Gavaskar did when he called Chauhan to follow him out of the ground on being given out was stupid, silly, and for the captain of an international side (also the greatest opening batsman of the time and a national icon) shameful and I cant defend it just because it hurts my misplaced emotions of patriotism. What Chappell asked his younger brother to do when Kiwis needed six runs to win was disgraceful and it cant be defended just because you are an Aussie.

One can build such a list to include instances involving players of each country. The point is that each instance is deplorable. Trying to defend them just because the player concerned happens to be from your country is not your national duty. Grow up.

Similarly, pointing to the episodes involving other countries and their players does not in anyway reduce the scandalous nature of the transgression of your own countrymen. So stop it.

Grow up. If a player from your country (or even if a citizen or group of people from your country) gets involved in something disgraceful, it is not a reflection on your nation and certainly not on yourself as an individual. Stop feeling defensive about it.

They, those of your countrymen involved, are human beings like others elsewhere, with all the failings and weaknesses that humans are capable of and have been for millennia - why should you pretend that they are incapable of being anything but paragons of virtue? They are not and you know what - that is not a big surprise - for nor are most of us.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Years ago, one of the greats of the game explained to me how to get reverse swing WITHOUT ANY BALL TAMPERING and I can guarantee that it works

Furthermore, it's really, really easy to do

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Years ago, one of the greats of the game explained to me how to get reverse swing WITHOUT ANY BALL TAMPERING and I can guarantee that it works

Furthermore, it's really, really easy to do
Are you going to tell us or is it going to be like one of those websites where they say "all you have to do is pay $29.99 and the secret will be yours"?

social

Are you going to tell us or is it going to be like one of those websites where they say "all you have to do is pay $29.99 and the secret will be yours"?
Load the side of the ball which is in better condition with moisture (this changes the weight distribution of the ball) and keep it smooth

Dont do anything to repair the side of the ball that was originally in worse condition

If you are a right-arm bowler and you want to bowl an away swinger to a right hander, the "loaded" side of the ball should be to the off whilst the wrist should be slightly to the leg-side of the ball

There is no need to angle the seam towards the off or do any of the things that are traditionally associated with outswing bowling

It's very simple and guaranteed to work but is especially effective in situations where you have an abrasive pitch that hacks up one side of the ball

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who was the great player in question?
More importantly, why isn't he coaching some of the international sides whose bowlers are struggling to get the ball to do what is apparently"the easiest" thing to do ?

social

Who was the great player in question?
Played for your favourite county and the state of his cricket apparel when bowling was testimony to how hard he worked to get the ball in a suitable condition for swing bowling