cricket betting betway blog banner small

Thread: Proof Vettori did used to get turn ...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar

Proof Vettori did used to get turn ...

Back in the days when Daniel Vettori actually got turn and appeared to be a genuine wicket-taker at Test level

I believe it's the Australian tour of NZ in 2000

YouTube - Daniel Vettori bowling highlight

Awesome video. Some brilliant flight and turn in it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Thanks for posting that - those are great highlights.

Is the general consensus that Vettori physically can't spin the ball as much now due to his early-2000s back injury? Or some other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Back in the days when Daniel Vettori actually got turn and appeared to be a genuine wicket-taker at Test level

I believe it's the Australian tour of NZ in 2000

YouTube - Daniel Vettori bowling highlight
    Haa...sry to crash the party, but have seen no evidence of late that Vettori stopped turning the ball.

I think you may have slightly overplayed those highlights because in every AUS vs NZ series this 2000s era, Vettori does well MAINLY because he bowls well to batsmen who want to attack - which was the forte of the champion AUS team.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Thanks for posting that - those are great highlights.

Is the general consensus that Vettori physically can't spin the ball as much now due to his early-2000s back injury? Or some other reason.
    Probably more to do with not playing on decks very often like that one which turned square from day 1.

Not that I'm downplaying the bowling; bowled brilliantly. 12 poles on any deck, especially against that line-up, is something to be proud of.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-06-2009 at 12:43 AM.

International Debutant
    Vettori does turn the ball on turning tracks, no doubt about it. The problem is, he almost never plays on turning tracks.

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    fantastic video - bookmarked it
    "When they had a plan for Cooky, I was telling him what they will do."

Moeen Ali helps England out by translating what Pakistan's players say in Urdu and Punjabi on the field.

He gets over his front leg so much more in that video.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Anyone got any footage from New Zealand vs Sri Lanka at Basin Reserve in 2006/07? Seriously, we need a "Proof Vettori does still get turn" vid.

Vettori may have gone through a lengthy phase 2002-2004 where his struggles with his back meant he did not turn it much on anything, but he has certainly done so on plenty of occasions since 2004/05.

And if you gave him a pitch like that one tomorrow I'm confident he'd do every bit as well once again.
    Last edited by Richard; 29-06-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant
    I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned. If my memory serves me correctly it was an absolute screamer of a catch too.

GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned. If my memory serves me correctly it was an absolute screamer of a catch too.
    Not a wicket but YouTube - Vettori beauty to Pietersen

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned.
    Old Trafford - which has produced turners for the last 3 Tests it's staged. And on which MSP has cleaned-up.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I know I am old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I did not see any great turn in that video in the thread starter. The turn, where there was any, was marginal and what he was getting was to get the ball take the shoulder of the bat of batsmen who were bent on going forward and plonking their bats down in a bit of a hurry if you know what I mean. The length too was very good so it was good bowling but not indicative of any great turn.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Vettori lost that the spinning touch to his bowling recently. Mainly due to his captaincy and lack of concentration on bowling or may be the gully's reverse swing had a bigger impact then we thought.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I know I am old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I did not see any great turn in that video in the thread starter. The turn, where there was any, was marginal and what he was getting was to get the ball take the shoulder of the bat of batsmen who were bent on going forward and plonking their bats down in a bit of a hurry if you know what I mean. The length too was very good so it was good bowling but not indicative of any great turn.
    Hate to say it SJS, but if you didn't see a decent amount of turn in that little package, your eyesight is well & truly questionable

Thread Information