cricket betting betway blog banner small
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Proof Vettori did used to get turn ...

  1. #1
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    25,958

    Proof Vettori did used to get turn ...

    Back in the days when Daniel Vettori actually got turn and appeared to be a genuine wicket-taker at Test level

    I believe it's the Australian tour of NZ in 2000

    YouTube - Daniel Vettori bowling highlight

  2. #2
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Awesome video. Some brilliant flight and turn in it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  3. #3
    International Coach straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    11,381
    Thanks for posting that - those are great highlights.

    Is the general consensus that Vettori physically can't spin the ball as much now due to his early-2000s back injury? Or some other reason.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Back in the days when Daniel Vettori actually got turn and appeared to be a genuine wicket-taker at Test level

    I believe it's the Australian tour of NZ in 2000

    YouTube - Daniel Vettori bowling highlight
    Haa...sry to crash the party, but have seen no evidence of late that Vettori stopped turning the ball.

    I think you may have slightly overplayed those highlights because in every AUS vs NZ series this 2000s era, Vettori does well MAINLY because he bowls well to batsmen who want to attack - which was the forte of the champion AUS team.


  5. #5
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Thanks for posting that - those are great highlights.

    Is the general consensus that Vettori physically can't spin the ball as much now due to his early-2000s back injury? Or some other reason.
    Probably more to do with not playing on decks very often like that one which turned square from day 1.

    Not that I'm downplaying the bowling; bowled brilliantly. 12 poles on any deck, especially against that line-up, is something to be proud of.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-06-2009 at 12:43 AM.

  6. #6
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,040
    Vettori does turn the ball on turning tracks, no doubt about it. The problem is, he almost never plays on turning tracks.

  7. #7
    International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dravida Nadu
    Posts
    4,198
    fantastic video - bookmarked it
    "When they had a plan for Cooky, I was telling him what they will do."

    Moeen Ali helps England out by translating what Pakistan's players say in Urdu and Punjabi on the field.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    29,568
    He gets over his front leg so much more in that video.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Anyone got any footage from New Zealand vs Sri Lanka at Basin Reserve in 2006/07? Seriously, we need a "Proof Vettori does still get turn" vid.

    Vettori may have gone through a lengthy phase 2002-2004 where his struggles with his back meant he did not turn it much on anything, but he has certainly done so on plenty of occasions since 2004/05.

    And if you gave him a pitch like that one tomorrow I'm confident he'd do every bit as well once again.
    Last edited by Richard; 29-06-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  10. #10
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,040
    I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned. If my memory serves me correctly it was an absolute screamer of a catch too.

  11. #11
    GGG
    GGG is offline
    State Captain GGG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Malta, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned. If my memory serves me correctly it was an absolute screamer of a catch too.
    Not a wicket but YouTube - Vettori beauty to Pietersen

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned.
    Old Trafford - which has produced turners for the last 3 Tests it's staged. And on which MSP has cleaned-up.

  13. #13
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    I know I am old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I did not see any great turn in that video in the thread starter. The turn, where there was any, was marginal and what he was getting was to get the ball take the shoulder of the bat of batsmen who were bent on going forward and plonking their bats down in a bit of a hurry if you know what I mean. The length too was very good so it was good bowling but not indicative of any great turn.

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Vettori lost that the spinning touch to his bowling recently. Mainly due to his captaincy and lack of concentration on bowling or may be the gully's reverse swing had a bigger impact then we thought.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    25,958
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I know I am old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I did not see any great turn in that video in the thread starter. The turn, where there was any, was marginal and what he was getting was to get the ball take the shoulder of the bat of batsmen who were bent on going forward and plonking their bats down in a bit of a hurry if you know what I mean. The length too was very good so it was good bowling but not indicative of any great turn.
    Hate to say it SJS, but if you didn't see a decent amount of turn in that little package, your eyesight is well & truly questionable



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Daniel Vettori vs Richard Hadlee (batting)
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 14-12-2009, 01:29 AM
  2. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 27-03-2009, 02:59 AM
  3. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 19-03-2009, 04:03 AM
  4. Vettori as opener
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 02:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •