Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Brendon McCullum

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Jesus christ man.

Are you seriously trying to claim you aren't completely biased with posts like that.

Mitch for sure, but a crocked Lee and Clark and Siddle based on 1 short series?!
    This coming from the guy who thinks Tendulkar is better then Bradman. Bias personified.

Out of that foursome, Lee is the weakest bowler at the present, which is saying something and Siddle is going to be the best bowler in the world in a few years time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Nah, Jimmeh Franklin will be.

Anyway, McCullum needs to stay our number one keeper because McGlashan ain't great at catching and Hopkins is a good keeper but can't bat in the top 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

How is it bias personified? An English guy claiming that an Indian has rights to be the considered best player of all time? Don't agree with it, but don't believe that its an opinion based on prejudice.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    How is it bias personified? An English guy claiming that an Indian has rights to be the considered best player of all time? Don't agree with it, but don't believe that its an opinion based on prejudice.
    Look at his display picture, his obviously an Indian that lives in England.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree. Isn't like they are saying if Tendulkar was around during Bradman's time (and grew up in that era, not current Tendy) he'd be averaging 101 or anything.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by flem274* View Post
    nah, jimmeh franklin will be.
    awta.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

AWTA.

z

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    This coming from the guy who thinks Tendulkar is better then Bradman. Bias personified.
    Actually it isn't. Misinformation based on some amount of lack of historical understanding? Maybe. But bias, no.

And BTW, he isn't an Indian. Apparently his name's Steve - you don't generally get Indians going by that name. And what a silly method to use to jump to conclusions - an avatar.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Well that was a fun look back. Howsie got his Hughes call, and Straw Man probably made the most agreeable Baz post.

Nothing beats this though. I'm not even sure what Affly is trying to say here.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree. Isn't like they are saying if Tendulkar was around during Bradman's time (and grew up in that era, not current Tendy) he'd be averaging 101 or anything.

U19 12th Man
    I am not too sure what Athlai is trying to say either. It is very hard to compare sportsmen from different eras. Cricket was a very different game when Bradman was playing. Fielders would clap or raise their caps to the ball as it passed them on its way to the boundary!

I was and still am of the opinion that the modern player is significantly better to the classic player. My argument there was Tendulkar of today is a better batsman than Bradman of yesteryear. Sportsmen across all sports get better overtime, compare a runner of today to a runner of 100 years ago. It's no contest.

However as jonbrooks said there, you can't compare sportsmen from different eras. If Bradman had been born in the current era and had all the training and spreadsheetz that Sachin had access too, he would very likely still stand head and shoulders about the current field. But taking him in his raw state of when he actually dominated I argue that the modern player is better.

Bradman is just an incredible outlier though, he was so far above the grade at the time that he might still prove superior to the players of today. I doubt there is any figure in popular sport who has ever been that much better than his peers.
    sambha likes this.

the TLDR version is that James Franklin would slap WG Grace's pies for 6 every ball.

The best thing about this innings from McCullum is that there in the team to watch it has been 21yo Tom Latham, and 23yos Corey Anderson, Jimmy Neesham and Kane Williamson

Whether those players make it or not, there's a huge degree of confidence in the team and your own capabilities when you see a senior team member do this. There's no reason why these guys can't pull off similar feats.
    Hurricane likes this.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information