• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not With a Bang...

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Going slightly further back in the memory lane, Allan Donald, Waqar Younis, Saqlain Mushtaq, Damien Martyn and Michael Slater didn't exactly go out with a bang.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Waqar and Wasim were kicked out after the terrible 2003 WC performance. Yousuf was dropped after that disastrous Australia tour (don't think he will be back :().

But Imran went with a bang. I don't think there is anything better than finishing your career after a world cup win.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Waqar and Wasim were kicked out after the terrible 2003 WC performance. Yousuf was dropped after that disastrous Australia tour (don't think he will be back :().

But Imran went with a bang. I don't think there is anything better than finishing your career after a world cup win.
Yousuf played in England last year.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Mmm. We all knew he was finished, but we were too distracted by winning the Ashes.
Yeah, but the weird thing about the way he went out it was as if the rest of his team-mates decided to prove that they were too good for him. I suppose celebrating at Sydney was a great way for such a team man to go out, but I dunno. I was never Collingwood's biggest fan but it doesn't really seem right that he's almost faded into obscurity.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah, but the weird thing about the way he went out it was as if the rest of his team-mates decided to prove that they were too good for him. I suppose celebrating at Sydney was a great way for such a team man to go out, but I dunno. I was never Collingwood's biggest fan but it doesn't really seem right that he's almost faded into obscurity.
I liked the idea of him having one last game for England maybe a T20 game as a farewell, the ideal one would have been against the WI in September.

Reading a interview the other day he still says he's got hopes of playing for us again in one day cricket, if he was watching the Indian tour, you can see.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Call me harsh, but when a person plays a bad final innings, it makes me feel sort of humility, for the player? When Murali got his 800th I was like 'dream wicket dream scenario' but when they get out cheaply I feel more admiration.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponting's current travails made me think of this thread.

Will the great man be another luminary to have registered a duck in his final test? Or can turn it around in the 4th and sign off in style? Or will he go on?
Ok, so now we know the fat lady is really signing for Punter, what will it be? Bang or whimper?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Have to be positive and say bang!

Reckon his first 15 minutes of his innings is going to be some of the most intense period of Test Cricket for a long time. He'll be positive and I'm expecting a well compiled 72 (123 balls) from the great man.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
brett lee's last 4 or 5 tests were pretty bad. was injured/sick/etc for most of them, but still, after hitting back from his mid-career pile of **** so well, that was a disappointing end. (and of course after those 4-5 tests, he was picked for the 09 Ashes tour, took a 6fer against the England Lions and then broke down again)

edit change last 4 or 5 tests to the Indian tour and matches against SA

Last edited:

Spikey

I always consider Dizzy's exit to be the 05 Ashes btw

i mean yeah he got that double ton, but come on

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
brett lee's last 4 or 5 tests were pretty bad. was injured/sick/etc for most of them, but still, after hitting back from his mid-career pile of **** so well, that was a disappointing end. (and of course after those 4-5 tests, he was picked for the 09 Ashes tour, took a 6fer against the England Lions and then broke down again)

edit change last 4 or 5 tests to the Indian tour and matches against SA
Apparently it was an amazing spell he bowled against the Lions too. Would love to see some footage - I believe it was broadcast in England?

Spikey

Harmy cleaned up the tail in his last test didn't he? By no means great, but I think we all expected a horrible last match for him

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Came in to say Allan Donald, tragic end with a torn hammy in an Aus tonking. Just awful and completely undeserving all round.

Since that's already been taken, may I put forward Jonty Rhodes. A broken finger in a pointless 10 wicket win against Kenya putting him out of the rest of the World Cup in his home country. He'd already announced he was retiring after.

Strange nobody's mentioned Bouch either as that's really recent, another (though far more serious) injury just prior to what was going to be his swan-song tour.

Last edited: