• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WI all time XI vs Aus all time XI

smash84

The Tiger King
While I think Lillee was a great bowler, I dont think he was better than Marshall. Haven't seen Lillee play live but caught a fair number of reruns of him bowling and based my opinion on that.
Yeah but in the reruns even Marshall doesn't look that great tbh.

In fact in the reruns hardly anybody beats Wasim Akram

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah but in the reruns even Marshall doesn't look that great tbh.
How come? Swung the ball both ways and used the bouncer to good effect as well. Also he did it with more or less immaculate line and length. Another thing I notice with Marshall is that he actually bowls a lot of overs. His stamina and consistency aren't mentioned by too many people but I think its one of his key strengths. I feel he just keeps at the batsman, much like McGrath does at times even when things are not going his way.

smash84

The Tiger King
How come? Swung the ball both ways and used the bouncer to good effect as well. Also he did it with more or less immaculate line and length. Another thing I notice with Marshall is that he actually bowls a lot of overs. His stamina and consistency aren't mentioned by too many people but I think its one of his key strengths. I feel he just keeps at the batsman, much like McGrath does at times even when things are not going his way.
True regarding MMs fitness levels. I once heard Holding saying that MM had weights attached to his legs even when he was not exercising. I think he said this in the legends of cricket series. Can't recall though

hang on

State Vice-Captain
True regarding MMs fitness levels. I once heard Holding saying that MM had weights attached to his legs even when he was not exercising. I think he said this in the legends of cricket series. Can't recall though
I remember reading about it too.

For me, the greatest fast bowler of them all.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Overall, he may have bowled in an era with more batsmen averaging 50, and he indeed deserves credit for it, but not enough for me to overlook the difference in SRs.
Over the course of his career, McGrath bowled around 3 overs per match more for his wickets than Marshall. Considering the flat decks McGrath played on, it's not exactly a deal-breaker.

vcs

Over the course of his career, McGrath bowled around 3 overs per match more for his wickets than Marshall. Considering the flat decks McGrath played on, it's not exactly a deal-breaker.
But in an All-Time XI A vs. All-Time XI B type match, that could prove to be the crucial difference..

Top_Cat

Yeah but my point is, in my opinion, that the difference in their numbers is likely a reflection on the difference in pitches they both had to bowl on, not ability. Put them both in the same match and I reckon they'd both be about as likely to take your wicket as each other.

vcs

Yes, but Marshall still struck appreciably faster than many of his contemporaries who bowled in a similar era (Holding, Garner, Lillee, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose etc.). All of them were in the early-to-mid 50s IIRC, which seems to be about standard for ATG fast bowlers. Donald, Waqar and Steyn so far are the only exceptions, but their record falls slightly short in other aspects (though Steyn could yet join the elite league).