• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When Geraint was in the side Flintoff was in his purple patch anyway, so it didn't really matter. I guess that's kind of Rich's point, though, and I think on the whole he might well be right, I just take issue with the idea that Flintoff isn't out of form

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
When Geraint was in the side Flintoff was in his purple patch anyway, so it didn't really matter. I guess that's kind of Rich's point, though, and I think on the whole he might well be right, I just take issue with the idea that Flintoff isn't out of form
Solution? Put Geraint back in at number 7 in place of Prior, or any other english keeper :thumbup:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well yeah he would have to be a pretty awful batsman to not be out of form. I do actually think that the vast majority of England cricket fans and commentators realise that he should not be batting at 7. But I think Richard is right in some regards in saying this was not the case a few years ago as I would freely admit to supporting the idea of Flintoff at 6 when Geriant Jones was in the side and I think I and everyone else was perfectly right in doing so.
Flintoff at 6 was fine 2003- India 2006 (I'm aware he batted 7 against South Africa) because he was averaging 40 during this period.

I think I'm right in saying that his last First Class hundred was against Australia in 2005 though. That's not the form of a number 6.

IMO Flintoff has always been best suited to playing the Gilchrist role at 7 - an incredibly dangerous lower order hitter - but with the exception of a couple of glorious years of form, he's never been capable of batting any higher.

Evermind

International Debutant
IMO Flintoff has always been best suited to playing the Gilchrist role at 7 - an incredibly dangerous lower order hitter - but with the exception of a couple of glorious years of form, he's never been capable of batting any higher.
Gilchrist averaged 47 with the bat. Flintoff averages 50% less. Gilchrist was a lot more than just a slogger, and that's sadly what Flintoff has become of late - a slogger whose slogs don't come off (Afridi style).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I actually think he is out of form though, can hardly remember him getting into double figures lately, and he ain't tailender bad
Flintoff since his return to the side last summer has played 13 innings'. He made a pair in his last Test, but in the previous 11 he scored 17, 38, 36*, 2, 9, 11*, 18, 4, 62, 43, 24. As I say - the memory plays tricks. Flintoff has been pretty moderate of late but certainly not terrible. However, people have inflated expectations, so this moderate performance appears terrible. Yet he's not been either constantly being dismissed for single-figure scores nor playing-and-missing four times an over at everything.

He's just been getting out before getting many runs. Which is exactly what he's done against good bowling in every series of his career except South Africa 2003, Australia 2005 and India 2005/06.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gilchrist averaged 47 with the bat. Flintoff averages 50% less. Gilchrist was a lot more than just a slogger, and that's sadly what Flintoff has become of late - a slogger whose slogs don't come off (Afridi style).
Flintoff averaged 43 at 7 during his golden spell.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tests 26 46 1 1683 156 37.40

Afridi's stats...
Not all that bad really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Afridi's Test stats are utterly incomparable to those of just about any other player as he only ever played Test cricket when the odds were stacked in his favour. Because even Pakistan's clueless selectors knew that when they weren't he'd just make a complete and total fool of the team and them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
antimatter AKA some account that was banned and had all posts deleted said:
<something>
And if you consider the fact that that post is utterly, well, non-sequiteurial, it is.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
antimatter AKA some account that was banned and had all posts deleted said:
<something>
Indeed. Because I want never gets.

Now, given this is (or will be soon) an *Official* tour thread, best stop making silly comments in it.

EDIT: ITSTL, the above posts from the account in question are now gone. Just to make it clear, as I don't bother quoting posts which are directly above, there were posts there.

Last edited:

Evermind

International Debutant
Flintoff averaged 43 at 7 during his golden spell.
Of what, 5 games? No point isolating little periods. Zaheer Khan averaged 16 with the ball during his "golden spell". Samaraweera averages 100+ during his "golden spell". Hell, Gilchrist averaged 56+ during his golden spell, so Flintoff loses again. See what I mean?

Boy it is tiring to rebut arguments concerning Flintoff and Botham; players who had like 2 good years and 8 bad ones, and people still judge them based on those 2 (mostly because it's so rare that England win the Ashes). If only everyone was as kind with other players.

shivfan

Banned
I'm not really following the IPL, so I'm not totally clear who's in and who's out, and why....

But, suffice to say, I'm quite pleased Shiv won't be playing in the IPL again, and will now be touring England. That means, only Gayle and Edwards will miss the three warm-up games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Boy it is tiring to rebut arguments concerning Flintoff and Botham; players who had like 2 good years and 8 bad ones, and people still judge them based on those 2 (mostly because it's so rare that England win the Ashes). If only everyone was as kind with other players.
Botham actually had considerably more than that. He had 4 outstanding years and 5 moderate ones. It's far too easy for various dunderheads to overestimate the bad and underestimate the good because of what they're spoon-fed by basic stats packages.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Botham actually had considerably more than that. He had 4 outstanding years and 5 moderate ones. It's far too easy for various dunderheads to overestimate the bad and underestimate the good because of what they're spoon-fed by basic stats packages.
What about the other 6?

I always think Botham - started spectacularly, tailed off a bit too early with sporadic moments of brilliance.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure what you mean by "overestimating the bad" (ie over-rating him, or under-rating him?).

If you mean that Botham wasn't as bad a player in his latter years as some people think, well, call me a dunderhead, but I disagree: he really was that bad.