• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SehwagVsGilchrist

SehwagVsGilchrist

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He might well be right, as an ODI opener.

Don't agree with the "last time a batting line up was this intimidating was the WI of the 80s" thingy though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sehwag the better player against quality bowling though both are equally destructive.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think if given the chance McGrath would have eaten Gilly for breakfast 8 times of 10.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Check out the instances where they played against each other in Sheffield Shield and get back to us.
THe pressures of test cricket are totally different and no matter how competitive SS cricket is still it can not provide the same level of intensity as test cricket provides.

inbox24

International Debutant
Obviously just a knee jerk reaction, if Gilchrist did that to NZ then they'd be writing about how he is the best rah rah.

99*

International Debutant
Obviously just a knee jerk reaction, if Gilchrist did that to NZ then they'd be writing about how he is the best rah rah.
Sehwag's done it a few times now.

I based my vote just on their skills as opening batsmen anyway.

Top_Cat

THe pressures of test cricket are totally different and no matter how competitive SS cricket is still it can not provide the same level of intensity as test cricket provides.
Hah, never watched a WA vs NSW match then, especially when one of them is ex-NSW.

Either way, your statement is a vast exaggeration. McGrath might get Gilly out a few more times than most bowlers because he was so damn good but gilly's success against Shaun Pollock should tell you a lot about how he treated line-bowlers in his prime, no matter how good.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hah, never watched a WA vs NSW match then, especially when one of them is ex-NSW.

Either way, your statement is a vast exaggeration. McGrath might get Gilly out a few more times than most bowlers because he was so damn good but gilly's success against Shaun Pollock should tell you a lot about how he treated line-bowlers in his prime, no matter how good.
I may have gone overboard but i would expect McGrath to have an upperhand in their battles.Gilly never faced a pre 2000 Pollock, a post 2000 Pollock is not even a patch on Mcgrath especially in test cricket.

Burgey

Gilly every time in both ODIs and Tests.
Really? Personally, I can't really compare them in Tests as their roles are so different. ODIs though - Sehwag is pretty damn hot atm. It's a pretty tough choice IMO.

pup11

International Coach
I agree with Sanz, Gilly was just a tad better than Sehwag in both forms of the game imo, lot of people very conviently forget that Gilly had to keep wickets and then bat also, and it certainly isn't an easy thing, but the man still did a great job.

Sehwag is red hot atm, and many blokes would look pretty pale in comparison atm, but in the longer run when you look at the kind of knocks Gilly has played, and the kind of occasions he has played them in just indicates, why he was an all-time great.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Meh, they're both the same.

Gilchrist's batting benefitted from playing in a strong lineup while Sehwag's benefits from flat pitches, short boundaries and bigger bats.

Take your pick.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just as test batsmen? Maybe. Gilchrist was also a wicket-keeper though, so it's kind of a moot point if you're comparing their overall value as players.

They're pretty tough to split in ODIs IMO. Sehwag wasn't that special in the shorter form for a long time but he's improved a lot recently.

Uppercut

Right now, Sehwag's the better ODI opener. He's at his peak. Over their careers I guess Gilly is better.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sehwag for some reason does get crimnally underrated, to me he is the best test opener of the past 2 decades.

Last edited: