Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 397

Thread: SF Barnes

  1. #61
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    With the old ball Larwood could move it late in the air from the leg ..... he brought back a foot to knock over the stumps...
    This is extremely interesting, and perhaps shows how silly the idea that Sarfaraz Nawaz and Imran Khan invented reverse-swing was.

    Fact was, they were just the first to popularise it and make it known to a wide audience.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #62
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra View Post
    Larwood was often not even mentioned in a list of also rans and Bradman did not consider him to be the fastest bowler of his time.
    He must have changed his mind then

    "Over a full season, under all sorts of conditions, I rank Larwood as the fastest bowler of all"

    Don Bradman in "Farewell to Cricket" published in 1950

    Lest I be accused of being disingenuous he did preface that by saying the fastest spell he ever faced was from Eddie Gilbert but he does add that wasn't bowling

  3. #63
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Gilbert presumably being a chucker of renown?

  4. #64
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Yes he was notorious for a dubious action - although film taken of his him was never conclusive - he had a short run, very long arms and by all accounts a slinging action - he was an aborigine which, I suppose, may be relevant to the way he was treated


  5. #65
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Yes he was notorious for a dubious action - although film taken of his him was never conclusive - he had a short run, very long arms and by all accounts a slinging action - he was an aborigine which, I suppose, may be relevant to the way he was treated
    Dare I say it - compare the treatment of pure white Lindwall with the famed pure smooth action

  6. #66
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,206
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Yes he was notorious for a dubious action - although film taken of his him was never conclusive - he had a short run, very long arms and by all accounts a slinging action - he was an aborigine which, I suppose, may be relevant to the way he was treated

    Possibly. Also may be relevant why, 70 years later, we are still talking about a player with a moderate record over a short 5 year career.

    No reason why it cant be both.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  7. #67
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Possibly. Also may be relevant why, 70 years later, we are still talking about a player with a moderate record over a short 5 year career.

    No reason why it cant be both.
    That may be a little harsh - his average was comparable to Tim Wall and Ernie McCormick, both of whom Bradman waxed lyrical about, and considerably better than Bull Alexander who did get selected (rather than Gilbert) to bounce Jardine and Co in the final test

  8. #68
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    He must have changed his mind then
    Wouldn't be an isolated example. IIRC Bradman praised various modern players as "the best of their type of all time" before the final much-hyped "Bradman's best team of all time" was finally published, which should have really been called "various of my team-mates from when I was young"

  9. #69
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Wouldn't be an isolated example. IIRC Bradman praised various modern players as "the best of their type of all time" before the final much-hyped "Bradman's best team of all time" was finally published, which should have really been called "various of my team-mates from when I was young"
    As Roland Perry was involved in that project I am led to believe that means it was a work of fiction

  10. #70
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    As Roland Perry was involved in that project I am led to believe that means it was a work of fiction
    Can you remind me of the team?
    And who is Roland Perry?

  11. #71
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401

  12. #72
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Can you remind me of the team?
    And who is Roland Perry?
    Barry Richards
    Morris
    himself
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Tallon
    Lindwall
    Lillee
    O'Reilly
    Bedser
    Grimmett

    Hammond as twelfthers

    Perry get's a lot of stick in Australia for making things up and taking advantage of Bradman towards the end of his life - I am sure Archie could give a better perspective - I've never actually read anything Perry has written

  13. #73
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Barry Richards
    Morris
    himself
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Tallon
    Lindwall
    Lillee
    O'Reilly
    Bedser
    Grimmett

    Hammond as twelfthers

    Perry gets a lot of stick in Australia for making things up and taking advantage of Bradman towards the end of his life - I am sure Archie could give a better perspective - I've never actually read anything Perry has written
    This team is solely about achieving the greater glory of Don Bradman isn't it? Because you look at the team and think "Tallon (Test average of minus 35) at number 6? LIndwall at 7? Lillee 8? Well I suppose you can afford it because Sir Don averaged 99.94 and he's at number 3". And then you see Bedser who was a fine bowler but not worthy of a place in an all-time XI who's clearly got in because he bowled Bradman with a good ball once. And then we have Bradman's mates from the Australian team. Grimmett? Morris? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by zaremba; 10-03-2009 at 05:27 PM.

  14. #74
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Perry get's a lot of stick
    I've come to expect this sort of thing on facebook (you're = your for instance) but when top-class CW posters start doing it...


  15. #75
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    This team is solely about achieving the greater glory of Don Bradman isn't it? Because you look at the team and think "Tallon (Test average of minus 35) at number 6? LIndwall at 7? Lillee 8? Well I suppose you can afford it because Sir Don averaged 99.94 and he's at number 3". And then you see Bedser who was a fine bowler but not worthy of a place in an all-time XI who's clearly got in because he bowled Bradman with a good ball once. And then we have Bradman's mates from the Australian team. Grimmett? Morris? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Bit like selecting QCs really

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. South African Domestic Season 2008/9
    By TT Boy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 329
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
  2. Your All-time Top 5's
    By wfdu_ben91 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
  3. Who is Australia's second best Test cricketer ever?
    By G.I.Joe in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 13-02-2009, 09:20 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •