• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What if?...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
:ph34r:

What if the process of lacquering up a ball never existed, and all cricket was played with an 'old ball' ?
West Indies would have never been the best team in the world. It would have been a general trend to play 2 (or 3) spinners and 2 (or 1) fast bowlers in all teams. Any batsman playing well against South Africa in the 90s and 00s would have had his stats dissected in CW to show how he has been a minnow basher. And, Silentstriker would have been obssessed with spin bowlers.

What if Bradman had to face Barnes in Bradman's debut series in say 1926 (and not 1928)?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
To be honest I can see bradman dominating the 47 year old Barnes seeing as from what I've heard he was very similar to O'Reilly and around this time (In 1925 I think), Bradman gave O'Reilly the biggest shellacking he ever got. I can also see Australia retaining the ashes in these circumstances as the supporting cast of amongst others Collins, Bardsley, Woodfull, Macartney, Oldfield, Gregory, Mailey and Grimmett should be good enough and much better than the supporting cast Bradman had in 28-29 which was much closer than a 4-1 defeat would indicate.

What if Keith Miller was made Australian captain in succession to Lindsay Hassett instead of Ian Johnson (As happened in our timeline)?

archie mac

International Coach
West Indies would have never been the best team in the world. It would have been a general trend to play 2 (or 3) spinners and 2 (or 1) fast bowlers in all teams. Any batsman playing well against South Africa in the 90s and 00s would have had his stats dissected in CW to show how he has been a minnow basher. And, Silentstriker would have been obssessed with spin bowlers.

What if Bradman had to face Barnes in Bradman's debut series in say 1926 (and not 1928)?
I suppose you are suggesting that if Bradman had been chosen for the 1926 tour?

I think Barnes would have been posted all over the park, by the Gov. General and damaged his rep:ph34r:

archie mac

International Coach
To be honest I can see bradman dominating the 47 year old Barnes seeing as from what I've heard he was very similar to O'Reilly and around this time (In 1925 I think), Bradman gave O'Reilly the biggest shellacking he ever got. I can also see Australia retaining the ashes in these circumstances as the supporting cast of amongst others Collins, Bardsley, Woodfull, Macartney, Oldfield, Gregory, Mailey and Grimmett should be good enough and much better than the supporting cast Bradman had in 28-29 which was much closer than a 4-1 defeat would indicate.

What if Keith Miller was made Australian captain in succession to Lindsay Hassett instead of Ian Johnson (As happened in our timeline)?
Too slow:-O

I think the captaincy would have inspired Miller and he would have went down in cricket history as a great captain.

Australia would have drawn the 1953 series 1-1, and would have also drawn the 1954-55 series before losing the Ashes in 1956 and would have established a great record:)

What would been the reputation of Imran the captain if Pakistan did not make the WC Final in 92?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
He'd be regarded as the greatest ever captain Pakistan had and in the 2nd teir of captains below the likes of Taylor and Benaud in my opinion although I would disagree with that judgement.

What If: Victor Trumper survived World War I and returned to cricket once hostilities ceased?

archie mac

International Coach
He'd be regarded as the greatest ever captain Pakistan had and in the 2nd teir of captains below the likes of Taylor and Benaud in my opinion although I would disagree with that judgement.

What If: Victor Trumper survived World War I and returned to cricket once hostilities ceased?
As Hill and Trumper were the same age (8 months between with Trumper younger), and as he was one of the big six (as was Clem) I don't think he would have been up to it tbh. The first series Aust played was 1920-21 and he would have been 43, and no Test cricket since 1911-12. Sorry Vic would have passed it:ph34r:

What if Bosanquet (spelling) did not invent the Bosie?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
South Africa would be regarded as easybeats until the 1930's and the googly would be jniwn colloqually as the 'Clarrie' after Grimmett invented it while experimenting in his back yard with his dog.

What If: Bradman drowned as a child (Inside Edge magazine claimed he came close to it on a couple of occassions)?

archie mac

International Coach
South Africa would be regarded as easybeats until the 1930's and the googly would be jniwn colloqually as the 'Clarrie' after Grimmett invented it while experimenting in his back yard with his dog.

What If: Bradman drowned as a child (Inside Edge magazine claimed he came close to it on a couple of occassions)?
I have read at least six bios on the great man and I have never read that!!!!!!!!

Trumper would be remebered even more, modern stats kiddies would have no one from before WW2 in their all time teams, there would have been no BL, no Warwick vase, and no challenges from cricket to the Babe, etc, etc, etc

What if the idea from ACDs plan of banning left handed batsman had happened?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I have read at least six bios on the great man and I have never read that!!!!!!!!

Trumper would be remebered even more, modern stats kiddies would have no one from before WW2 in their all time teams, there would have been no BL, no Warwick vase, and no challenges from cricket to the Babe, etc, etc, etc

What if the idea from ACDs plan of banning left handed batsman had happened?
A lot of great left-handed batsmen would have become great right-handed batsmen instead. But the world would have been much the poorer.

What if the Americans had invented cricket?

archie mac

International Coach
A lot of great left-handed batsmen would have become great right-handed batsmen instead. But the world would have been much the poorer.

What if the Americans had invented cricket?
We would be down to ten/10 by now:@

What if Richard's 2nd chance theory was taken up by Tony Greig?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
To zaremba's question: the Empire would have played some other form of rounders and only a few islands would have joined the US at cricket. No international competition, but there would have been more people knowing about the game in Europe. And if they had invented the two-innings form, we'd never have any limited overs except at youth levels.

Kind of related (I didn't actually look at zaremba when posing it) what would cricket look like if the sport had become one of the major sports in the US?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Re: left-handers; over rates would no longer be a problem and Wasim would have been the greatest bowler ever.

What would cricket look like if the sport had become one of the major sports in the US?
Cheer leaders, lound music, mixed international teams........oh wait 8-)

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
To zaremba's question: the Empire would have played some other form of rounders and only a few islands would have joined the US at cricket. No international competition, but there would have been more people knowing about the game in Europe. And if they had invented the two-innings form, we'd never have any limited overs except at youth levels.

Kind of related (I didn't actually look at zaremba when posing it) what would cricket look like if the sport had become one of the major sports in the US?
Instead of the IPL we'd have the USPL which would of started a long time ago.

What if: Shane Warne was named as Australian captain in succession to Mark Taylor instead of Steve Waugh?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Instead of the IPL we'd have the USPL which would of started a long time ago.

What if: Shane Warne was named as Australian captain in succession to Mark Taylor instead of Steve Waugh?
Stuart MacGill would have retired much earlier than he did. Warne would probably have been more cautious and avoided the WC 2003 fiasco, thus playing an extra year and ending up with 50-60 more wickets than he did. He'd have won WC 2003, but probably not WC 2007 given the absence of Brad Hogg who was so instrumental in that win. Kolkata 2001 would have dented his reputation as an innovative leader. Ponting would have been handed over the captaincy on Warne's retirement and would have been expected to follow in the footsteps of Allan Border. Steve Waugh would have been dropped a year before he did 'retire', and would have been considered the best captain Australia never had.

What if Sachin Tendulkar had played for New Zealand alongside Richard Hadlee?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I will take it up.

What if India had not been divided in 1947 and all India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, as we know them now, had still been one country ?

PS : This is just in the context of cricket so forget the politics please :)

archie mac

International Coach
I will take it up.

What if India had not been divided in 1947 and all India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, as we know them now, had still been one country ?

The infighting of who was to be captain, would have made them the sleeping giant of world cricket, but just maybe Imran could have made them the best team in the world for a number of years

What if Jessop had one of the modern bats?

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
I will take it up.

1980's Test
Gavaskar
Muddasar
Azharuddin
Zaheer
Miandad
Vishwanath
Wasim Bari
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Sarfraz Nawaz
Qadir