Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 556 to 570 of 671

Thread: Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

  1. #556
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,063
    Look they are so close I think it comes down to a subjective preference rather than an objective choice. For mine the best bowler I've seen is Ambrose and that is just bcos the feeling of fear and utter hopelessness I felt for my team when facing him.

  2. #557
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Not surprised at your definition of "class" considering Viv does your thinking for you. Marshall is at best a few decimals apart from Mcgrath if you look at the batsmen they dismissed. Not to mention the different times they played in with different rules. Hell even if you don't take those thing into account there is a difference of .70 between them (.4 between him and Ambrose). A class apart indeed. Anyways I'm not gonna take the bait and turn this into Marshall vs Mcgrath.

    I'm guessing I shouldn't be surprised either that you use the most simplistic possible way of looking at stats to determine records. So do you believe that Marshall was barely half the bowler George Lohmann was or does Viv have something to counter that? In fact would you also mind asking him how Marshall being better to watch from the TV screen got his team wickets at a better rate than his average suggests?
    Attacking me won't win you the argument. I just thought it would be interesting to look towards who ATG players think is the greatest fast bowler. The choice for them is between Lillee and Marshall. You can take it or leave it. When guys like Holding, Imran, Hadlee, Wasim talk about Marshall and Lillee, it does signify something.

    Regarding Lohmann, I am going to go with Benchy's POV.

  3. #558
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Attacking me won't win you the argument. I just thought it would be interesting to look towards who ATG players think is the greatest fast bowler. The choice for them is between Lillee and Marshall. You can take it or leave it. When guys like Holding, Imran, Hadlee, Wasim talk about Marshall and Lillee, it does signify something.

    Regarding Lohmann, I am going to go with Benchy's POV.
    Just to get the "attacking" part clear, you get what you ask for. You trying to suggest my opinion somehow is not worth much because I'm no Viv was a personal jab. So yeah.

    As far as the argument goes I don't have a problem with your opinion eveybody is entitled to one I'm not trying to change your mind here. I just simply disagree with it completely ad also gave you my opinion as to why I thought ex-players are just as biased as any other especially towards players that look good on the screen. You just decided to reply with a personal jab.

    Also, one can't help but wonder as to why Lillie completely disappeared on your last argument.....

  4. #559
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,788
    No personal jab there. The guy played against the best in the world. His views are always going to be put above the rest of us. But you were calling me a simpleton just because I think his views along with the views of other ATG's are worth listening to.

    And Lillee might not have the greatest of records, but a lot of people consider him their all time great bowler. I guess stats aren't everything.


  5. #560
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    This debate is running out of fuel. You think player's opinion are meaningful if they have served the game and I say I don't see how that makes them any less bias. I'll just leave at that.

    Edit: Pleasures of having the last word eh? I think you were taking a personal jab at me but hey I give up have your last words. This is the last I will ever mention it.
    Last edited by Inferno; 04-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.

  6. #561
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    This debate is running out of fuel. You think player's opinion are meaningful if they have served the game and I say I don't see how that makes them any less bias. I'll just leave at that.
    And yet you call someone a simpleton for it. Cheers.

  7. #562
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,586
    I consider Lillee the greatest of all time. And it's only marginal, but I consider him better than Marshall. The reason is complex, but stats don't really enter the debate. It has a lot to do with his aura and presence, which is not often discussed, but is a big factor, particularly with pace bowlers.

    This is really all splitting hairs, I know, and it mostly comes down to personal preference. But in a school yard setting, if I'm the captain with first pick of all the ATG quicks, I'd take Lillee over Marshall (and everyone else) every time.

  8. #563
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,288
    I'd take McGrath personally, but thats just me.

  9. #564
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    It has a lot to do with his aura and presence, which is not often discussed, but is a big factor, particularly with pace bowlers.
    It is tbf

  10. #565
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I consider Lillee the greatest of all time. And it's only marginal, but I consider him better than Marshall. The reason is complex, but stats don't really enter the debate. It has a lot to do with his aura and presence, which is not often discussed, but is a big factor, particularly with pace bowlers.

    This is really all splitting hairs, I know, and it mostly comes down to personal preference. But in a school yard setting, if I'm the captain with first pick of all the ATG quicks, I'd take Lillee over Marshall (and everyone else) every time.
    I tend to feel about the same

  11. #566
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,261
    By the way, why is Steyn not popular amongst young cricket fans ? I am amazed. People talk so much about old-foggies (meaning people like yours truly) never being able to appreciate the modern cricketer and infatuated with cricketers of their own youth and here is a really great fast bowler living in our times and we find it so difficult to be unreservedly appreciative and thankful for the opportunity of being able to see him perform before our own eyes.

    He is a truly great bowler. . . take an old-foggy's word for it

  12. #567
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,579
    I never watched Marshall but his record and what I've heard others say about him and the youtube videos I've seen put him on top, for me.

    Marshall>Ambrose=McGrath>the rest.

  13. #568
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    By the way, why is Steyn not popular amongst young cricket fans ? I am amazed. People talk so much about old-foggies (meaning people like yours truly) never being able to appreciate the modern cricketer and infatuated with cricketers of their own youth and here is a really great fast bowler living in our times and we find it so difficult to be unreservedly appreciative and thankful for the opportunity of being able to see him perform before our own eyes.

    He is a truly great bowler. . . take an old-foggy's word for it
    I love Steyn, I don't understand why people hate on him so much.. Nostalgia, perhaps?

  14. #569
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,143
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    By the way, why is Steyn not popular amongst young cricket fans ? I am amazed. People talk so much about old-foggies (meaning people like yours truly) never being able to appreciate the modern cricketer and infatuated with cricketers of their own youth and here is a really great fast bowler living in our times and we find it so difficult to be unreservedly appreciative and thankful for the opportunity of being able to see him perform before our own eyes.

    He is a truly great bowler. . . take an old-foggy's word for it
    Bingo.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  15. #570
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,586
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    By the way, why is Steyn not popular amongst young cricket fans ? I am amazed. People talk so much about old-foggies (meaning people like yours truly) never being able to appreciate the modern cricketer and infatuated with cricketers of their own youth and here is a really great fast bowler living in our times and we find it so difficult to be unreservedly appreciative and thankful for the opportunity of being able to see him perform before our own eyes.

    He is a truly great bowler. . . take an old-foggy's word for it
    Sometimes you don't appreciate how good something is til it's gone. Warne is a case in point for mine. Appreciated how good he was when he played, but it's not til you can't watch him anymore that you realise how awesome he was. I often watch the 2005 Ashes DVD just for his performance.

    I'd say in 15 or 20 years people will be talking about Steyn in a similar way to the way we talk about Ambrose and Donald and Trueman and Lindwall now.

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan's top 10 bowlers.....ever
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
  2. The worst person in the world
    By pasag in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
  3. Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?
    By Mister Wright in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
  4. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 28-01-2009, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •