• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

watson

Banned
Larwood is a tricky case though because he played so little at the top level that everything skews his figures - in 1930 he was never fit, and his figures were appalling as a result - in 28/29 he took 18 wickets at around 40, fairly ordinary on the face of it, but that was on shirtfronts of the worst kind - so much did the conditions conspire against him that some would argue that performance was even better than in 32/33
I'm sure that most fast bowlers have suffered from the same sort 'shirt front' drudgery. One particular 'shirt front' is called India. And yet Marshall, Holding, Roberts, McGrath, Imran, Wasim, Waqar have all taken wickets on the flat pitches of India and been quite successful against competent batsman. And in blistering hot conditions too. I'm not overly sympathetic.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure that most fast bowlers have suffered from the same sort 'shirt front' drudgery. One particular 'shirt front' is called India. And yet Marshall, Holding, Roberts, McGrath, Imran, Wasim, Waqar have all taken wickets on the flat pitches of India and been quite successful against competent batsman. And in blistering hot conditions too. I'm not overly sympathetic.
At least they had the current lbw law to work with

Jager

International Debutant
Difficult to attach too much credence to anything Roland Perry writes though
This this this

Larwood is absolutely up there in the highest tier of fast bowlers for me. I remember reading a brilliant article recently (possibly written by tangy) which confirmed by thoughts on his genius

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Larwood being a great is self explanatory. The question on hand is "Is he greater than Steyn?"

And my answer is "No"

MrPrez

International Debutant
I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world. His numbers are terrific - right up there with the best in history - but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be held in as high esteem. Can't help but think it's because he doesn't the bounce that some of the ATG greats get so might be a bit short on that intimidation factor that we all seem to associate with the great quicks.
Does anyone think he's not the best?

Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.
Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.
If you're trying to say that he's not held in high esteem in comparisons with players possessing similar or worse career stats, that's because he's still playing and because he's not proven himself over as many YEARS as the others.

Also, he possesses an immense bouncer, and his generally skiddy bowling style is a chief reason for him being as good as he is (and people recognise it). He has a bigger presence than any bowler I've ever watched on more than just a few old "legends of the game" tapes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lee? Yes.

Ntini? Not a chance in hell
I may have played cricket with Ntini and regularly messed around in the nets with his son whilst waiting for a lift home in primary school
Haha, it wasn't even a serious question; it was just a question put forward to show how pointless what he was saying was in the context of this thread. Between McGrath and Steyn, we had Ntini and then we had Lee. Asif was around but he was banned for drug-related incidents for a lot of that period and no-one - certainly no-one on CW - regarded him as the best during his ban and early return. If Ntini or Lee don't qualify as being 'worse' or 'less great' than Larwood then I'm not here.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Haha, it wasn't even a serious question; it was just a question put forward to show how pointless what he was saying was in the context of this thread. Between McGrath and Steyn, we had Ntini and then we had Lee. Asif was around but he was banned for drug-related incidents for a lot of that period and no-one - certainly no-one on CW - regarded him as the best during his ban and early return. If Ntini or Lee don't qualify as being 'worse' or 'less great' than Larwood then I'm not here.
I know :p I was just trying to get in on some WTO action (and I succeeded).

Obviously Morne Morkel>>>>>>>>>> Larwood >>>>>>>>Ntini, Lee.

watson

Banned
Is he greater than Ntini or Lee?
A better question is whether he is greater than his closest English counterparts - Fred Trueman, John Snow, and Bob Willis.

IMO Trueman and Snow are both greater because they were able to carry an entire series with them (just like Larwood) without having the odds 'artifically' stacked in their favour via an umbrella field.

I don't think that John Snow's efforts in 1971 under Illingworth have been bettered by an English bowler, and probably won't be for a long time. Admittedly, Snow was following on from where Proctor left off (Australia was still shell-shocked after their tour of South Africa) but Australia were playing at home, and Snow still had to administer the coup de gras. So,

1. Trueman/Snow
2. Larwood
3. Willis

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A better question is whether he is greater than his closest English counterparts - Fred Trueman, John Snow, and Bob Willis.
Indeed so but it's also a far less relevant question. Carry on though; I officially give up my mission of getting this vaguely back on topic. :p

watson

Banned
Indeed so but it's also a far less relevant question. Carry on though; I officially give up my mission of getting this vaguely back on topic. :p
OK. I'll help.

Original Question:
Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Answer:
Probably no. His record suggests that he is a worthy 'best fast bowler in the world' that happens to be on a par with other greats of similar bowling style.

Just check out his Strike Rate for starters - 41.5 over 57 Test matches.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but you don't see Dale Steyn downing pints in the drinks break. (would go from one of my favourite cricketers to my very favourite if he did.)