• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the two opening bowlers for Post Packer World XI

Who are the TWO opening bowlers for the Post Packer Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

JBH001

International Regular
i hope there is no tie... if so, i want to take both of them and place them in the 3rd and 4th bowler's poll along with runner up from the spinner's poll. we can select two to go with marshall, warne and possibly imran/botham/kapil
Ah thanks, bagapath. I think this is the last day, so I think I will vote for Hadlee. We need a Kiwi representative in the XI. His batting would toughen out the lower order too. Btw, I really like your ODI XI, that is one powerful ODI side.

Slifer

International Captain
Not that ne one should really care but my ideal bowling attack would be:

Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne/Murali
Mcgrath

archie mac

International Coach
Sobers played around the world? He played in England. And if you think FC matches (regardless of their standards, which was quite high for County cricket in those days) are as pressurising as International matches, you are only deluding yourselves.

Kallis and Sobers have near identical batting stats at the end of 93 matches that Sobers played.

You seem to suggest that county cricket could be played by a one eyed (sorry Tiger and Colin) one handed midget. And with or due respect I would hate to think what Sobers would do with Zims and Bangas:unsure:

As you never watched Sobers (nor did I) the people who did would laugh at your suggestions that Kallis was even close to Sobers as a batsman, but hey you do have stats guru8-)

And Kallis has a better bowling record as compared to Sobers.
"Sobers played around the world? He played in England"
Try Aust, Sth Afr, and just about any of the other places cricket is played

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sobers had his own critics till he shut them up with his glorious 365, didnt he? You can't say "he was like this that point of time".
Y'know, it doesn't help your case when you speak of stuff you really don't have an idea about. Obviously I wasn't around at the time but if you do a bit of reading, you'll see Sobers wasn't even on the 'world class' radar before that knock because it was his first Test ton and he was averaging mid-30's overall.

And even thought it was a huge knock, it was achieved against a pretty ordinary, injury-struck Pakistan who, because of that, really only had one world-class bowler and one decent bowler in the line-up. And they lost one of them in the first over of the WI innings. The knock was only significant because it broke Hutton's record which had been around for 20 years. It was what Sobers did after the knock that had people lining up to rate him the best since Bradman. Sobers' and Kallis' situations aren't remotely comparable.

JBH001

International Regular
lol, all squared up.

Hope no-one is making new accounts to get their players over the line. :ph34r:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
This encapsulates the reason we started this discussion - there are simply so many great cricketers who've plied their trade in the 30 years since WSC that many blokes we think must be locks for a combined team in that era are going to be left out.

When this combined XI is finalised, I bet we could then pick a Second XI from the era that would be so close in quality to the First XI as to be almost interchangeable.

Select 2 teams post packer? Lara and tendulkar cannot be in same team and neither can warne n murali.

bagapath

International Captain
If its all even you'd have to go Hadlee since he adds a bit with the bat. :ph34r:
wish i could. but if they are equal i will take both of them to the next poll and club them with murali and runner-up all rounder for the forum to choose two to partner marshall and warne (and most probably imran). may be it will make the whole process more interesting. still, i am hoping the tie is broken soon to avoid complications.

bagapath

International Captain
this poll is closing in a few hours' time. there must a handful of guys who have note voted yet. come on, folks. break the tie.

ret

International Debutant
Marshall and Holding
I will change my vote to Marshall and Hadlee [considering that it's a close call b/w Hadlee and McGrath] .... i had Hadlee in my mind first then got emotional over Marshall-Holding combination :p