• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali breaks record for most ODI wickets, what a champion!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
This thread emphasizes the anti-Sri Lanka sentiment in this forum, i have nothing more to say.
You're pathetic, really.

I think I can safely say that all teams are hated for one reason or another, but on this forum from what I have seen in the past 4 or so years, Sri Lanka is the least hated team. Jayawardane, Jayasuria, Sangakkarra have plenty of fans here.

Anyway, apologies for throwing this thread off topic.

Am a bit broken hearted to see another one of Wasim's records overtaken but I really can't think anyone more deserving. How fortunate is this generation of cricket fans that we witnessed such a great bowler the likes of which may not be seen for another 100 years.

bagapath

International Captain
This thread emphasizes the anti-Sri Lanka sentiment in this forum, i have nothing more to say.
i am glad to hear you've nothing more to say. take a break, please.

i love the amazing restraint these forum members show in not allowing such stupid statements to turn this website into another one of those thousands of places where racial, linguistic and national pride is used to cover up inferiority complex, jealousy and intolerance.

btw, i think murali chucks.

Precambrian

Banned
i am glad to hear you've nothing more to say. take a break, please.

i love the amazing restraint these forum members show in not allowing such stupid statements to turn this website into another one of those thousands of places where racial, linguistic and national pride is used to cover up inferiority complex, jealousy and intolerance.

btw, i think murali chucks.
I don't.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. I think it emphasizes the pro-pun sentiment actually.

You don't have to be anti-Sri Lankan to recognize that Murali is a shadow of his former self.
He's bit more than a shadow IMO. Still better than any other spinner in the world, whether they are playing or retired.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's bit more than a shadow IMO. Still better than any other spinner in the world, whether they are playing or retired.
Warne >>> Murali, at this stage, retirement and all. And I daresay that Vettori is a better ODI bowler and not too far off in Tests either.

Aside from them, it's a fair statement but really does not say much. Casson, White, Hauritz, Krezja, Benn, Kaneria, Harbhajan, Panesar, Swann etc. etc.

In the last 4 Test series against teams other than Bangladesh, Murali averages just under 30. Those aren't very Muraliesque figures. And having seen him against West Indies and India, he often lacked the bite I've come to expect from him. And take Zimbabwe and Bangladesh out (because he'd dominate them as a wheelchair-bound 80-year-old), and his ODI figures in the last year are extremely average:

22 matches
26 wickets
35.15 average
4.62 economy
45.6 SR
0x4w and 0x5w

Now I'm not trying to discredit his career. I'm not trying to cheat him of legendary status. His figures speak for themselves. But from what I've seen of him in recent times, he often does not look anywhere near as effective as he did a couple years ago. He probably has a bit more left in the tank, but he's no longer the certain go-to-guy he used to be.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne >>> Murali, at this stage, retirement and all. And I daresay that Vettori is a better ODI bowler and not too far off in Tests either.
Ouch, DWTA strongly. What does Vettori average over his last four non-Bangladesh test series?

Vettori's probably quite comfortable the better bowler in ODIs now though. There's a massive gap in his respective effectiveness in each form.