• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was Parnell just a flash in the pan?
Hell no.

He's 19 and an extremely promising bowler. No more, no less.

Possibly needs a bit of assistance either off the pitch or through the air to be threatening, but that will come with experience. When conditions are right, he looks exceptionally dangerous.

It's worth bearing in mind that he was utterly awesome at the U19 World Cup. To expect him to be consistently dangerous and taking wickets at this very early stage of his career is nonsense.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Hell no.

He's 19 and an extremely promising bowler. No more, no less.

Possibly needs a bit of assistance either off the pitch or through the air to be threatening, but that will come with experience. When conditions are right, he looks exceptionally dangerous.

It's worth bearing in mind that he was utterly awesome at the U19 World Cup. To expect him to be consistently dangerous and taking wickets at this very early stage of his career is nonsense.
At 19 he may have a little bit more growth too, he should definitely be expected to get some more pace too over the next 3 years or so which would make him genuinely sharp as he's already bowling in the 140's. Right now he only really looks dangerous when it swings otherwise a little bit up and down. However at just 19 I think South Africa will take that for now. Supposedly he can bat too, looking to the future he could be the perfect replacement for Ntini, adds more variety to the attack, another swing option and more batting depth, looks to have a very good fitness level too. Certainly one of the most promising young quicks around.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Bring back Watto!
Watson should and hopefully will be back opening the batting next series against Pakistan. Watson should be opening with Marsh IMO, and with Symonds at 5, Haddin at 6, we have some late powerful batsmen who can hit a ball but can also reconstruct an innings.

Our full strength batting order would be;

1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. D Hussey
5. Symonds
6. Haddin
7. M Hussey

I'm temped to leave out Dave Hussey and add an extra bowler with Hopes slotting up to 7 but give or take that would be our best one team IMO. FTR, I left out Clarke on purpose, I don't want him in the side, but if he must be included, I reckon when we are full strength we should look like this;

1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Haddin
5. Symonds
6. Clarke
7. M Hussey

Haddin bats 4-6 in One Day domestic cricket, so he would be comfortable there, but if you like you could swap Marsh or Watson to 4 and Haddin to opening. I want Clarke down the order, to give him the kick in the arse he needs.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly don't know why everyone is so intent on putting Haddin down the order when he's the hot batsman there at the moment.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Our best side..

1 Haddin
2 Marsh
3 Ponting
4 Clarke
5 Symonds
6 MHussey
7 Watson
8 Hopes
9 Johnson
10 Lee
11 Bracken

12 Hauritz
If a turner Watson or Hopes on notice for Hauritz and Siddle has to be close to the side too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Honestly don't know why everyone is so intent on putting Haddin down the order when he's the hot batsman there at the moment.
Indeed. I'd be bringing back Marsh, because he can play the role that Clarke has with far more effectiveness.

Marsh
Haddin+
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Johnson
Lee/Tait
Hauritz
Bracken

In the end, there's a pretty low likelihood that Clarke is going to be dropped, while he's still scoring the odd run - no matter how slowly.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Indeed. I'd be bringing back Marsh, because he can play the role that Clarke has with far more effectiveness.

Marsh
Haddin+
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Johnson
Lee/Tait
Hauritz
Bracken

In the end, there's a pretty low likelihood that Clarke is going to be dropped, while he's still scoring the odd run - no matter how slowly.
No Hopes?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No place for Cal Ferguson, even if on form alone?
No Hopes?
This is probably more of a side that I'd hope that the selectors are building towards, and that we'd see roughly around the time of Aus' home summer. Ferguson hopefully overtakes Dave Hussey as the reserve batsman, whilst Hopes is a direct swap in for Watson when he eventually gets injured or cannot bowl. Would hope that Siddle is in front of Hopes as a pure bowler at that stage.

brockley

International Captain
I would play shane watson above dave hussey at this stage he can be a drink waiter in pakistan,like north and white have een drink waiters here.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If that lineup is playing well there really is no room for him, and fair enough too.
Big if. Hussey is yet to really end his horrors with the bat, Symonds will be hugely under-done, Marsh slightly less so. If they come back and the poor form of the side continues (can't believe I'm saying this), he should be right there in the mix I reckon.