• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Top 9 ODI Nations

Best ODI team in the world?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least Watto gets proper manly injuries. Broken bones and fractured backs and annihilated legs. Oram plays a match then walks off the field after ten overs with an itchy nose and doesn't play for three weeks.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
At least Watto gets proper manly injuries. Broken bones and fractured backs and annihilated legs. Oram plays a match then walks off the field after ten overs with an itchy nose and doesn't play for three weeks.
He should blog for CW ala. Sinclair.

Though he'd probably break 4 fingers per sentence. That's only 2 sentences!

Zinzan

Thats not fair :@ I'll have you know his last injury was no itchy nose, it was a broken finger nail and to add insult to injury it was just 2 weeks after he'd grazed his knee :nono:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Thats not fair :@ I'll have you know his last injury was no itchy nose, it was a broken finger nail and to add insult to injury it was just 2 weeks after he'd grazed his knee :nono:
I heard the week before the grazed knee he missed a game because of excruciating period pain. :sleep:

Julian87

State Captain
At full strength, definitely Australia. Their lineup + world cup record means I can't go past them. The team may be getting on, but I'd back every current player, if fit, to be around come the next world cup.

What we are seeing on the field atm, is probably closer to an "A" side, bar Ponting, Hussey, Haddin, Bracken and Johnson.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Want to say Australia, but when was the last time we won a ODI series at home? We were freakin unbelievable at the 07 WC, but that's coming on two years ago now. We're still up there, and the fact we're not getting winning scores, or even batting out our friggin 50 overs, shows how much we rely on Clarke and Symonds in ODIs. Take Tendulkar and Dhoni out of India, or Kallis and Steyn out of SA, and they come right back to the field as well.

That said, if the question is who is the best ODI team in the world, I say "unsure at the moment".

If the question is "who will will the 2011 WC?", there's only one answer IMO - Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm getting lost as to who is in the Indian team tbh. They seem to blood new guys, use old guys, blood more new guys etc. Awesome team but I couldn't name the first XI team. The Test team is much easier.

India still has a few holes too. Plus guys will retire shortly.
Sachin is the only guy the wrong side of 30 in the ODI team. He's the only one who could retire soon. They have been blooding the ODI team very well for 2 years now.

Anyway, Sri Lanka have an awesome chance of winning the 2011 World Cup if they get their **** together soon, and can get Malinga back as well.

Mendis and Murali on sub-continent wickets against teams chasing 250+ in World Cup match pressure could be bloody tough.

Precambrian

Banned
Sachin is the only guy the wrong side of 30 in the ODI team. He's the only one who could retire soon. They have been blooding the ODI team very well for 2 years now.

Anyway, Sri Lanka have an awesome chance of winning the 2011 World Cup if they get their **** together soon, and can get Malinga back as well.

Mendis and Murali on sub-continent wickets against teams chasing 250+ in World Cup match pressure could be bloody tough.
Agree, however SL are still relying on Grand old warhorse Jayasurya to get them a sizeable score.

Precambrian

Banned
Want to say Australia, but when was the last time we won a ODI series at home? We were freakin unbelievable at the 07 WC, but that's coming on two years ago now. We're still up there, and the fact we're not getting winning scores, or even batting out our friggin 50 overs, shows how much we rely on Clarke and Symonds in ODIs. Take Tendulkar and Dhoni out of India, or Kallis and Steyn out of SA, and they come right back to the field as well.

That said, if the question is who is the best ODI team in the world, I say "unsure at the moment".

If the question is "who will will the 2011 WC?", there's only one answer IMO - Australia.
Symonds...maybe, Clarke? Australia imho is better in the long run without him in the ODI side.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Could not disagree more.

Would love to know your rationale for saying that we don't need a guy who scored more than 4000 runs at an average of 42 and a strike rate of 79, who is one of the best fielders in the game, and who as a bonus has taken nearly 50 wickets at an average of 33.

It's all very well having T20 sloggers in your team, but in ODIs you also need the guys who can intelligently bat at a tempo. Clarke is up there in the very top bracket of ODI players IMO, especially when you factor in his ability to serve as a sixth bowler for a team.

Besides some indication of some logic behind that claim, I'd also be very intrigued as to who you think is going to do a better job in the team?

Uppercut

I'm a bit hesitant to say this because it's not entirely fair on South Africa, but this really is almost an Australia 'A' side. Bracken, Lee, Clark, Watson, Clarke, Symonds back in there and it's still the best team in the world.

India are the best on the subcontinent. But there's so much element of luck in ODIs compared to tests that one team won't dominate very often.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm a bit hesitant to say this because it's not entirely fair on South Africa, but this really is almost an Australia 'A' side. Bracken, Lee, Clark, Watson, Clarke, Symonds back in there and it's still the best team in the world.

India are the best on the subcontinent. But there's so much element of luck in ODIs compared to tests that one team won't dominate very often.
Add in that this run of injuries has almost perfectly coincided with the retirements of ODI gretas like Hayden, Gilchrist and Hogg, and it's not surprising we're struggling a bit. That's nine out of what 12 months ago would have been our best 11 gone.

Uppercut

Add in that this run of injuries has almost perfectly coincided with the retirements of ODI gretas like Hayden, Gilchrist and Hogg, and it's not surprising we're struggling a bit. That's nine out of what 12 months ago would have been our best 11 gone.
That's true but i didn't mention it because for the purposes of who the best team is now it's not relevant.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Australia are still top for mine.

Take the 2 best fast bowlers and 2 best middle order bats out of any side and they'll struggle, particularly when the 4 mentioned would walk into every other side around.