• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best team in the field ?

Bees

U19 12th Man
Actually, I'd probably say South Africa.

Boucher is very reliable, AB is just great, Kallis good in the slips, Duminy no slouch.

They're let down by Ntini though.

Also, Australia have Symonds, that could be enough to declare them the best in the field?

krkode

State Captain
Probably not aware of all the fielding specifics now since I can't watch live cricket anymore and you don't get a reliable picture of fielding from scorecards. But Sri Lanka has always struck me as very active and athletic in the field.

India, on the other hand, are probably among the worst it seems. :(
Even that match in Nagpur where we beat Australia we dropped a half-dozen catches.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, I'd probably say South Africa.

Boucher is very reliable, AB is just great, Kallis good in the slips, Duminy no slouch.

They're let down by Ntini though.

Also, Australia have Symonds, that could be enough to declare them the best in the field?
Haha, well Ponting's not exactly hopeless. Neither is Hussey. Clarke is pretty good too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Australia, comfortably.

Symonds, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey. Hayden in the slips/gully.

Then Lee and Johnson in the outfield.

Evermind

International Debutant
Sri Lanka has some pretty crap fielders, no way are they #1.

Australia first by a huge margin, followed by SA and then NZ.

England have some outstanding fielders and then some shockers like Cook and Panesar and crap ones like Harmison. I'd put India and SL slightly behind England.

Pak and WI are the worst.

Ntini is not that bad a fielder for a fast bowler - he's pretty athletic. He's Jonty compared to Ishant, Zaheer and Harmison.

pup11

International Coach
Australia by quite a distance, likes of Hussey, Symonds, Ponting, Clarke, Hayden are superb fielders, and to add to that Aussie quicks too are terrific athletes who have fantastic arms and cover a lot of ground in outfield region.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ntini is not that bad a fielder for a fast bowler - he's pretty athletic. He's Jonty compared to Ishant, Zaheer and Harmison.
He is one of the worst fielders in the game. He may be moderately athletic but he has zero coordination.

He is terrible for a fast bowler. Harmison is a better fielder, just by the fact he makes the stops he is supposed to. Any ball going to Ntini is a lottery.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZ are mid-to-upper table unless Chris Martin and Gillespie are playing together. Both are ****house fielders who completely lack any sort of depth perception.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He is one of the worst fielders in the game. He may be moderately athletic but he has zero coordination.

He is terrible for a fast bowler. Harmison is a better fielder, just by the fact he makes the stops he is supposed to. Any ball going to Ntini is a lottery.
Ntini may be a bad fielder, but calling him 'moderately' athletic is ridiculous.

Other than Brett Lee, I can't think of any better athletes in the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Possibly. Ntini's fitness has been at unbelievable levels for God knows how long now. Runs in all day, and then on every 3rd day of a test match I believe he runs back to the hotel SA are staying at.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly. Ntini's fitness has been at unbelievable levels for God knows how long now. Runs in all day, and then on every 3rd day of a test match I believe he runs back to the hotel SA are staying at.
Ntini's fitness levels and endurance are legendary but his coordination is terrible and he isnt particularly agile for a man his size.

Being he is super fit and in great shape doesnt make him very athletic. He is a very hard worker that is pretty athletic and has horrible coordination.

BTW, on a seperate note, the best fielding South African fast bowler is Andre Nel. Amazing set of hands, fantastic ability to throw himself around and has great range to get to many balls.

Last edited:

susudear

Banned
Australia by far

Gosh, Johnson, a pace bowler, could outrun, outdive and outthrow anybody from India, Pakistan and West Indies. There are no equals for Symonds, Clarke and Hussey except maybe Abe Devilliers and Collingwood.