• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Composite XI's and hypothetical match-ups ...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously a purely hypothetical thread, but I thought it would be interesting to look at and get opinion on combined sides and match-ups.

To start with, I'd like to get thoughts on a hypothetical Test series between a current composite England/NZ Vs composite SL/WI, firstly your combined teams & then the likely outcome. Lets assume its a 3 test series played at Perth, Sydney & Adelaide.

Uppercut

Strauss
Cook
Taylor
Pietersen
Collingwood
Oram
McCullum
Flintoff
Vettori
Sidebottom
Anderson

plays

Gayle
Warnapura
Sangakarra
M Jayawardene
Chanderpaul
Sarwan
P Jayawardene
Vaas
J Taylor
Murali
Mendis

I'd take SL-WI to win for sure. Two more solid batsmen and an aggressive opener to complement the top-class Sri Lankan bowling attack makes them the better team there IMO.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Thought England and sheep would win, but looking at it SL/WI do have a fine middle order.

NZ/Eng:

Cook
Strauss (sorry, don't rate the NZ openers)
Flynn (for grit and no one has a no 3)
Pietersen (obv)
Collingwood
Taylor R
+McCullum (for wicketkeeping)
Vettori (for batting)
Flintoff
Anderson
O'Brien

picked the three best seamers. No pressure on Fred to perform with the bat.

SL/WI:

Gayle
Warnapura
Sangakkara
M Jayawardene
Chanderpaul
Sarwan
+P Jayawardene (neither side has a keeper who can bat)
Vaas (for batting mainly)
Taylor J
Muralitharan
Mendis

Would pick NZ/Eng as they have nine batsmen to SL/WI's four.

Edit: ROTFLMAO at Taylor at three.

Uppercut

Thought England and sheep would win, but looking at it SL/WI do have a fine middle order.

NZ/Eng:

Cook
Strauss (sorry, don't rate the NZ openers)
Flynn (for grit and no one has a no 3)
Pietersen (obv)
Collingwood
Taylor R
+McCullum (for wicketkeeping)
Vettori (for batting)
Flintoff
Anderson
O'Brien

picked the three best seamers. No pressure on Fred to perform with the bat.

SL/WI:

Gayle
Warnapura
Sangakkara
M Jayawardene
Chanderpaul
Sarwan
+P Jayawardene (neither side has a keeper who can bat)
Vaas (for batting mainly)
Taylor J
Muralitharan
Mendis

Would pick NZ/Eng as they have nine batsmen to SL/WI's four.

Edit: ROTFLMAO at Taylor at three.
*shrugs* better selection decision than Anderson ahead of Sidebottom itbt :p

Uppercut

Based on what? catches dropped or somerhing else? I hope going past the edge isnt factored into that statement.
Based mainly on having to play at a time when Matt Prior was behind the stumps in his prank-keeping phase during the India/Sri Lanka series. Why wouldn't you factor in beating the bat, out of interest?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Why wouldn't you factor in beating the bat, out of interest?
I wouldnt for Sidebottom as he bowls the wrong length by about 2 feet too short. The balls do a little too much as they are pitched further away from the batsman.

Beating the bat when pitching nearly a yard further up is far more dangerous than what Sidebottom does. He gives the ball further distance to travel to the batsman and it appears to do more but in fact just goes earlier, as well as the chance for the batsman to make the tiniest adjustments.

Hope that makes sense. Im very tired at the moment. Basically Sidebottom often bowls the wrong length that flatters and makes the movement look considerable but isnt that dangerous.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I wouldnt for Sidebottom as he bowls the wrong length by about 2 feet too short. The balls do a little too much as they are pitched further away from the batsman.

Beating the bat when pitching nearly a yard further up is far more dangerous than what Sidebottom does. He gives the ball further distance to travel to the batsman and it appears to do more but in fact just goes earlier, as well as the chance for the batsman to make the tiniest adjustments.

Hope that makes sense. Im very tired at the moment. Basically Sidebottom often bowls the wrong length that flatters and makes the movement look considerable but isnt that dangerous.
Ah, yeah that's true. But he normally bowls inswingers to RHBs so too much swing doesn't come into beating the bat too much. The balls that beat the bat are generally either straight-on ones (his change-up delivery) or batsmen playing for more swing than there is (which sometimes happens when he does hit the perfect length, ironically).

What you say is more relevant for his bowling to lefties. I remember one spell in particular to Fleming in NZ where the ball was moving everywhere for him and he never found the edge.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Strauss
Cook
Flynn
Pietersen
Taylor
Oram
McCullum + (keeper who thinks hes captain)
Flintoff (vc)
Vettori (c)
Sidebottom
O'Brien

12th man
Ryder

vs.

Gayle (vc)
Warnapura
Sarwan
Sangakkara +
M Jayawardene (c)
Chanderpaul
Bravo
J Taylor
Edwards
Murali
Mendis

12th man
Sarwan

Made Sanga's keep due to the fact the batting is strong enough to have him keep and bat.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
So the consensus seems to be Taylor > Bell, despite Bell having scored 2000 more runs, at a 9 run better average?

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sure, and I understand these are people's personal selections, but its interesting that no-one apperas to agree with me that a decent but often infuriating is better than a player who flatters to deceive by appearing quality but rarely delivering. And for mine, the how many does matter when its difference between an average of 34 and 42....

Matt79

Global Moderator
That said, maybe I should put my money where my mouth is an name a team, rather than simply throwing stones:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Oram
McCullum+
Flintoff
Vettori*
Sidebottom
O'Brien

vs

Gayle
Wanupura I guess
Sangakkara
Chanderpaul
Jayawardena
Sarwan
Bravo
P Jayawardene+
Taylor
Murali
Mendis

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
England/ New Zealand XI

Strauss
Cook
Flynn
Pieterson
Collingwood
Oram
Flintoff
McCullum (+)
Vettori (*)
Southee
Sidebottom

West Indies/ Sri Lanka XI

Gayle
Jayasuria (Is his still around I don't know of any other Sri Lankan openners that haven't retired and Chattergoon is not up to the standard imo)
Sangakarra (+)
Chanderpaul
Jayawardena (*)
Sarwan
Bravo
J. Taylor
Malinga
Murali
Mendis

Uppercut

Sure, and I understand these are people's personal selections, but its interesting that no-one apperas to agree with me that a decent but often infuriating is better than a player who flatters to deceive by appearing quality but rarely delivering. And for mine, the how many does matter when its difference between an average of 34 and 42....
You're probably right, but i refused to have Bell anywhere my team. He's almost at the level of becoming one of the few players whose names i **** out. More puzzling for me was the selection of both Taylor and Flynn over Collingwood in some teams.