• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I don't regret this episode - Gambhir

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"No, no, no umpire, you misunderstood. I wasn't calling the batsman a ****ing idiot. I was just saying that people from the town of ****ing in Austria are idiots. This just happened to coincide with when the batsman hit me for 6, was in no way directed at him and I apologise profusely for any misunderstanding."
"That sentence just cost you 60 runs. I would shut up if I were you."

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. I would bet you that over rates would stop if, after every session, five runs per over behind were added to the total.

The reason bodyline worked is they made it impossible. You can't set your field that way. The reason the legislation against leg stump line worked is now they'll no ball it (whether I agree with it or not, it did stop the practice). It works. It's been proven to work. There is zero reason why it can't.

Of course, if you put a slap on the wrist as a punishment, players will know you don't really think the rule is important, and won't really care about breaking it.
Okay as far as sledging, firey blokes like Rod Hogg and Glenn McGrath used to swear as much at themselves as any batsman. Prove, on the field, that it was directed at the batsman or opposition. Can see a situation where a bowled yells something like "**** off!" at himself for bowling a poor delivery and getting penalised because the batsman took offence. Or, conversely, a bowler saying that at the batsman and seriously claiming they meant it at themselves. What's the criteria, that if they were looking in the batsman's direction when they said it, they meant it at them? Slippery slope.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Words are words. If you get physical with someone it's a totally different ballgame. The two are not remotely comparable in any sense, sorry. I understand people take sledging differently based on cultural background and other concerns, but there is never, under any circumstances, any justification for physically assaulting another player in a non-contact sport.

Same goes for anyone. You lay a hand on another player and you're pretty lucky if you get off with a one match ban.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Okay as far as sledging, firey blokes like Rod Hogg and Glenn McGrath used to swear as much at themselves as any batsman. Prove, on the field, that it was directed at the batsman or opposition. Can see a situation where a bowled yells something like "**** off!" at himself for bowling a poor delivery and getting penalised because the batsman took offence. Or, conversely, a bowler saying that at the batsman and seriously claiming they meant it at themselves. What's the criteria, that if they were looking in the batsman's direction when they said it, they meant it at them? Slippery slope.
So because it is possible to mistake it, you shouldn't do anything at all? It's sort of like making murders illegal because its possible someone could have done it in self defense and may possibly get punished.

Not comparing the two offenses, but I don't buy that reasoning. The umpires can decide. Hell, if we trust them to make LBW decisions, they can decide whats appropriate or not.
Of course, my ultimate solution is just to turn up the mics completely and let the fans, and more importantly, their sponsors decide how much of a twit they want to put up with.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Are you trying to stop sledging or swearing on the field of play?
Sledging. I don't care if they swear. We're not really talking about a couple words here or there, are we though? We're talking about a constant stream of harrasment and abuse. I used to think if you couldn't cop it, stay off. But frankly, it's ruining the enjoyment of watching cricket now.

In any case, let the sponsors, fans and boards decide who they want representing them. Turn it up all the way. We'll separate the true twits and imbeciles from people who are generally well behaved.

Top_Cat

So because it is possible to mistake it, you shouldn't do anything at all? It's sort of like making murders illegal because its possible someone could have done it in self defense and may get caught up in the act. Umpires can make the decision.

Not comparing the two offenses, but I don't buy that reasoning. The umpires can decide. Hell, if we trust them to make LBW decisions, they can decide whats appropriate or not.
Matter of time before that changes.

In essense, I agree with you. The umpires should be the ones to decide but hasn't this been what's caused the problem in the first place with umpires differing opinion on what constitutes 'abuse', lack of culture-specific knowledge? Imagine the outcry if the Aussies were swearing at Gambhir and Steve Bucknor did nothing because he thought it wasn't breaching the rules.

Of course, my ultimate solution is just to turn up the mics completely and let the fans, and more importantly, their sponsors decide how much of a twit they want to put up with.
That i don't mind, actually. I'm not offended by swearing, myself so I'd find it entertaining.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Words are words. If you get physical with someone it's a totally different ballgame. The two are not remotely comparable in any sense, sorry. I understand people take sledging differently based on cultural background and other concerns, but there is never, under any circumstances, any justification for physically assaulting another player in a non-contact sport.

Same goes for anyone. You lay a hand on another player and you're pretty lucky if you get off with a one match ban.
I actually agree. But I still hope to see a brawl soon. Because I hope, at that point, everyone will wake up to the problem. It's like no one cares about infrastructure until a bridge falls down.

Precambrian

Banned
Grow up Gambhir. Look at people around ya. If you have a problem with what they talk, report it to the umpires. See Sachin, he was sledged when he was a18 yr old, he replied with the bat, and they realised the more they sledged, the more he scored. And they stopped it by themselves.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That i don't mind, actually. I'm not offended by swearing, myself so I'd find it entertaining.
Most people wouldn't be offended. Again, people aren't complaining of swearing here and there.

In essense, I agree with you. The umpires should be the ones to decide but hasn't this been what's caused the problem in the first place with umpires differing opinion on what constitutes 'abuse', lack of culture-specific knowledge?.
No. I've never seen an umpire send anyone off the field due to sledging. It's not that they don't know what's abuse, it's that they aren't ever told to do anything about it.
Imagine the outcry if the Aussies were swearing at Gambhir and Steve Bucknor did nothing because he thought it wasn't breaching the rules
If its being recorded, they can bring the recording up to the match referee.

Can anyone say they don't want to see a batsman level Harbhajan with a bat? Or see a stump flung at the slips? Would be hilarious.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Me neither. They wouldn't have the balls because he'll punish them with performance, instead of getting into verbals with them. He's not immune to giving the odd serve, sure, but I'm sure he steels himself after that and reminds himself "Okay, I'll hurt you where it hurts the most; the scorecard." It's what makes him such a class act and, why, regardless of ability, blokes who respond in kind and escalate it aren't. Love Gambhir as a player, think he's awesome watch but he's a big kid too.
No, Not really. Any players who utters personal insulting crap at SRT is at risk of getting beaten in the middle by 22 people. His only hope is SRT himself.

Also, all this stuff about being a 'big kid' is just baloney, there is no such thing. Gambhir is a class act almost as classy as anyone in his team, but he is going to give you in kind if you cross the line,everytime.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Also, all this stuff about being a 'big kid' is just baloney, there is no such thing. Gambhir is a class act almost as classy as anyone in his team, but he is going to give you in kind if you cross the line,everytime.
That's a statement that contradicts itself.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Completely agree. But it is not going to stop players from getting physical if the kind of abuse continues in the name of sledging.

Top_Cat

Most people wouldn't be offended. Again, people aren't complaining of swearing here and there.
I think that would change real quick if the mics were turned up. Christ, people complained about that Lara Bingle ad and her saying 'bloody'.

No. I've never seen an umpire send anyone off the field due to sledging. It's not that they don't know what's abuse, it's that they aren't ever told to do anything about it.

If its being recorded, they can bring the recording up to the match referee.
The problem occurs with who then gets embarrassed. If an umpire sends off Harbhajan, he's embarrassed. If, on appeal, the India legal team wins, the umpire is undermined, especially with associated publicity and differing interpretations by persons with an agenda (media, etc.). Only if the umpire wins the send-off and appeal every time, would confidence in them remain and I couldn't see that happening.....

Can anyone say they don't want to see a batsman level Harbhajan with a bat? Or see a stump flung at the slips? Would be hilarious.
I'd so watch that.

Top_Cat

But it wasn't a proportional response, was it? If he'd just sledged, it'd probably have been largely a non-issue. He changed things by getting physical. It's an understandable reaction but not justifiable, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Now this is really childish way of defending sledging. Try walking in the street and cursing at yourself by looking at others, next thing you will see is your jaw in your hand.

If I am not wrong T_C you have some sort of degree in Psychology, I am sure you know that these players curse at others knowing fully well that they are well protected by the ICC laws and there is very little chance that someone will break their jaw in the middle no matter what they uttered.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think that would change real quick if the mics were turned up.
Good, tbh.

The problem occurs with who then gets embarrassed. If an umpire sends off Harbhajan, he's embarrassed. If, on appeal, the India legal team wins, the umpire is undermined, especially with associated publicity and differing interpretations by persons with an agenda (media, etc.). Only if the umpire wins the send-off and appeal every time, would confidence in them remain and I couldn't see that happening.....
If a player keeps getting ejected, that is enough punishment for him and the team. Doesn't matter who wins the appeal. Not that I necessarily think this is the best solution. But there are ways to legislate it out of the game. It's a matter of whether the administrators actually want to. Right now, they don't.

After an MMA fight on the field where someone gets a concussion, perhaps they will.

Top_Cat

Now this is really childish way of defending sledging. Try walking in the street and cursing at yourself by looking at others, next thing you will see is your jaw in your hand.
Who's defending it? I'm just saying that's what'd happen, made no statement about whether I agree with it. As for people punching you, that's not actually reality. Have a read of the Bystander Effect. I'd hazard if you walked down the street sledging people, most would either run away or try to pretend you weren't there.

If I am not wrong T_C you have some sort of degree in Psychology, I am sure you know that these players curse at others knowing fully well that they are well protected by the ICC laws and there is very little chance that someone will break their jaw in the middle no matter what they uttered.
I've offered the psych position that just imposing more legislation won't work, never does or only does for a short time until people figure out a way around it.