• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I don't regret this episode - Gambhir

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You dont get it, do you ? And you are not the only one who has played cricket, so please do not try to pass your experience as if that is some sort of universal fact.
Geez, defensive much? Not once did I say it was. I'm just saying the arguments used to justify the behaviour on both sides are bogus.

Top_Cat

Why?? I just dont buy that line. Should dealing with a racist person on a regular basis make you or me less immune to racism?
No but it can make you understand why they are the way they are and, if they have a chat to them, maybe even educate them (racism stems in ignorance, malice comes later). It's called communication, apparently most sports people haven't heard of it if you believe fans.

Both sides are hiding behind excuses.

Sachin is easily the most respected and well-liked cricketer on either side and, simultaneously, is the most ubiquitous and well-known. Co-incidence?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Don't agree with that entirely considering not everyone reacted physically and Gambhir has form for exactly that type of behaviour. Sure he was obviously getting heaps but he's also more likely to react. Both he and the Aussies need to tone it down. I get the cultural argument but we're not talking about blokes who are strangers to one another here and, as with many cultural misunderstandings, familiarity plays a huge part. For professionals who've played against each other multiple times, it gets to be less of an excuse over time.
It was Gambhir, the best batsman of the series, who was getting the abuse. Gambhir is not Harbhajan, he is usually very calm and minds his own business, but believes in giving in back when he feels that someone crossed the line, which is what happened.

I dont think it has much to do with cultural thing, abuse, insults are same in pretty much every culture.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, defensive much? Not once did I say it was. I'm just saying the arguments used to justify the behaviour on both sides are bogus.
They are not bogus. If you keep hurling insulting crap at everyone , It is just a matter of time before someone reacts violently.

Top_Cat

It was Gambhir, the best batsman of the series, who was getting the abuse. Gambhir is not Harbhajan, he is usually very calm and minds his own business, but believes in giving in back when he feels that someone crossed the line, which is what happened.
Afridi?

And he didn't give just give it back, he escalated the situation. Going physical is a whole new ball-game and, now he's done it, you can bet it'll take some brain-dead quick with something to prove who'll give him more than a little nudge as 'revenge'. Then he might be tempted to give it back even more. Blokes like Gambhir, Watson, Hayden, etc. are part of the problem.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Funniest thing for me is 'sending someone off' gets you a fine, but sledging someone is OK. Ah well.
Haha I agree. Shoaib and Zaheer can send Hayden off by pointing to the pavilion or whatever, and cop a massive fine, because its not in the spirit of the game, yet the amount of abuse that must come from first slip from players that goes unpunished is ridiculous.

Almost akin to the incredible inconsistency whereby we'll spend 60-90 seconds reviewing whether a boundary fielder's foot has touched the rope when trying to save a four, yet won't replay edges.

Cricket can be annoying at times.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Well, now that the reins have passed on to Dhoni things are going to really change. He has already made his intentions clear in Australia that he proposes to use the mental disintegration model. If the Aussies found Ganguly getting under their skin......Dhoni is going to be worse.
He used the 8:1 field and riled everyone right up to Chappel. That was not just a game tactic, it was a bit more than that. Be prepared when the two teams meet again, for he will have a lot more up his sleeve and it won't be just crass behaviour on the pitch.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I dont think it has much to do with cultural thing, abuse, insults are same in pretty much every culture.
Not completely. In some cultures people take a lot of offense at being called a bastard, and in others it's almost an affectionate term. You cross the two, and you get one side up in arms and the other side going 'What the ****? Settle down!'

But every culture has insults, yes, if that's what you mean.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin is easily the most respected and well-liked cricketer on either side and, simultaneously, is the most ubiquitous and well-known. Co-incidence?
You will need to watch the 2000 ICC match Vs. Australia when SRT telling Mcgrath to F*** Off. Obviously, none of the current Aussie cricketers have the balls to say that kind of crap to SRT, They know that even their own biased media, fans, teammates would not support that, it is a recipie for disaster.

I wont be surprised if Aussie cricketers are given specific Instructions on how not have a go @ SRT.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Afridi?

And he didn't give just give it back, he escalated the situation. Going physical is a whole new ball-game and, now he's done it, you can bet it'll take some brain-dead quick with something to prove who'll give him more than a little nudge as 'revenge'. Then he might be tempted to give it back even more. Blokes like Gambhir, Watson, Hayden, etc. are part of the problem.
Afridi is not a paragon of virtue. He is one of the most dirty and abusive cricketer ever to play the game of cricket.

I know going physical is a whole new ball game that's why there should much harsher punishment, but I dont think Gambhir cares and he has said that as well. And trust me if this continues, there will be someone who will actually assault the offender.

Top_Cat

You will need to watch the 2000 ICC match Vs. Australia when SRT telling Mcgrath to F*** Off. Obviously, none of the current Aussie cricketers have the balls to say that kind of crap to SRT, They know that even their own biased media, fans, teammates would not support that, it is a recipie for disaster.

I wont be surprised if Aussie cricketers are given specific Instructions on how not have a go @ SRT.
Me neither. They wouldn't have the balls because he'll punish them with performance, instead of getting into verbals with them. He's not immune to giving the odd serve, sure, but I'm sure he steels himself after that and reminds himself "Okay, I'll hurt you where it hurts the most; the scorecard." It's what makes him such a class act and, why, regardless of ability, blokes who respond in kind and escalate it aren't. Love Gambhir as a player, think he's awesome watch but he's a big kid too.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
No but it can make you understand why they are the way they are and, if they have a chat to them, maybe even educate them (racism stems in ignorance, malice comes later). It's called communication, apparently most sports people haven't heard of it if you believe fans.
Both sides are hiding behind excuses.
But here this in not a case of ignorance is there?? This is a deliberate ploy or strategy. So why should the Indians "understand" this behavior and get used to it?? No amount of communication is going to change the way the Australian players behave.

I think the more important question here is who does Sachin respect and like? I am quite sure he is not going to name any Aussie player.

Top_Cat

To be honest, this stuff is yet another sign of players' fairly bare contempt for their administrative bodies. Players are getting away with all sorts of stuff and legislation targeting it is, if anything, exaccerbating the problem. Not saying the ICC/CA/BCCI deserve any respect from the players but just throwing more rules/regulalation won't do the job either. Have never agreed with an entirely punitive response.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Have never agreed with an entirely punitive response.
Well, look at bodyline. The rules fixed it, didn't it? Legislation works, if you actually do it right.

You can't have slap on the wrist, then when it doesn't work, blame the fact that you made a law. No, it's not that you made a law, its that you made a law with no teeth.

If an umpire feels someone is being abusive towards the opposition, the player is ejected for the rest of the innings. No warnings. Within two tests, it'd be fixed.

Top_Cat

Well, look at bodyline. The rules fixed it, didn't it? Legislation works, if you actually do it right.

You can't have slap on the wrist, then when it doesn't work, blame the fact that you made a law. No, it's not that you made a law, its that you made a law with no teeth.

If an umpire feels someone is being abusive towards the opposition, the player is ejected for the rest of the innings. No warnings. Within two tests, it'd be fixed.
I see sledging, over-rates, etc. as far more complex issues to legislate against, though.

Top_Cat

One run per syllable uttered. :D
"No, no, no umpire, you misunderstood. I wasn't calling the batsman a ****ing idiot. I was just saying that people from the town of ****ing in Austria are idiots. This just happened to coincide with when the batsman hit me for 6, was in no way directed at him and I apologise profusely for any misunderstanding."

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I see sledging, over-rates, etc. as far more complex issues to legislate against, though.
Not really. I would bet you that over rates would stop if, after every session, five runs per over behind were added to the total.

The reason bodyline worked is they made it impossible. You can't set your field that way. The reason the legislation against leg stump line worked is now they'll no ball it (whether I agree with it or not, it did stop the practice). It works. It's been proven to work. There is zero reason why it can't.

Of course, if you put a slap on the wrist as a punishment, players will know you don't really think the rule is important, and won't really care about breaking it.