• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds this time crosses the line

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
But then he would not make his book famous ,by playing on other people's faith ,would he?
He's not playing on other people's faith. He's saying that to claim that monkey chants directed at him were somehow an expression of religion was ridiculous.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
By the way what is with these books and nasty remarks by all the aussies during the current series?

Those were sorry episodes and Indians have moved on..All the Aussies were welcomed with open arm in IPL..What else you need?

Associating deregatory words with gods,is not likely to earn you many friends in india is it?
I hope the next time he shows up for the IPL, te hyderabadi's really kick his ass.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Much as Symonds may be a fairly nasty piece of work and a fair dimwit, I highly doubt that was his intention. It's much more likely it's simply something that will never have remotely occurred to him that he was doing.
The only involvement Symonds will have had in that book is to sign the publishing contract and he clearly read that as closely as he did his CA contract

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Much as Symonds may be a fairly nasty piece of work and a fair dimwit, I highly doubt that was his intention. It's much more likely it's simply something that will never have remotely occurred to him that he was doing.

A bit similar to harbhajan calling him maa ki or monkey ,don't you think?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He's not playing on other people's faith. He's saying that to claim that monkey chants directed at him were somehow an expression of religion was ridiculous.
But then why associate the word a____hole with a indian god?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
By the way what is with these books and nasty remarks by all the aussies during the current series?

Those were sorry episodes and Indians have moved on..All the Aussies were welcomed with open arm in IPL..What else you need?

Associating deregatory words with gods,is not likely to earn you many friends in india is it?
I hope the next time he shows up for the IPL, te hyderabadi's really kick his ass.
They are terrible losers - which is part of the reason they win a lot

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
With great respect, Cevno, it's only unacceptable to you, and hurting your feelings, because you're continuing to misunderstand what he's saying.
I'm not going to try to answer each point in your post because I have to admit I don't understand them. All I can say is that others have explained, in my view accurately, what Symonds meant, and I'd suggest you re-read those posts.
I post on two other forums and many Indians on there are agitated with this and find it unaccptable.

krkode

State Captain
But then why associate the word a____hole with a indian god?
Because in doing so, he hoped to illustrate how stupid it was to to claim that the monkey chants were with respect to Lord Hanuman and not to him.

OHNOES - KRKODE used stupid in the same sentence as Lord Hanuman!! :unsure:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Because in doing so, he hoped to illustrate how stupid it was to to claim that the monkey chants were with respect to Lord Hanuman and not to him.

OHNOES - KRKODE used stupid in the same sentence as Lord Hanuman!! :unsure:

But then why not write the same thing ,that the explanation that monkey chants were a reference to lord hanuman was stupid and unbelievabel.

Why associate the alleged chants of aussies are a___ holes with a god in a sarcastic way?
What kind of god is refferred to as a______hole is clearly sensationalsit,sarcastic and ignorant attempt to poke fun at a god or a people.
The mere statement what kind of god is this? is having a dig at other peoples faith.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, if he really has questioned justice hansen's decision in his book could he or should he not be punished by the ICC?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think what Cevno is trying to say is that no one associated with India made any comments excusing the monkey chants by saying it was about the God of Monkey's and that Symonds just said that to have a cheap pop at India and their God's. He does after all only describe those who used that excuse as "others in authority". It all rather depends on whether Symonds fabricated the using of that explanation or not.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think what Cevno is trying to say is that no one associated with India made any comments excusing the monkey chants by saying it was about the God of Monkey's and that Symonds just said that to have a cheap pop at India and their God's. He does after all only describe those who used that excuse as "others in authority". It all rather depends on whether Symonds fabricated the using of that explanation or not.
Indeed

krkode

State Captain
But then why not write the same thing ,that the explanation that monkey chants were a reference to lord hanuman was stupid and unbelievabel.

Why associate the alleged chants of aussies are a___ holes with a god in a sarcastic way?
What kind of god is refferred to as a______hole is clearly sensationalsit,sarcastic and ignorant attempt to poke fun at a god or a people.
The mere statement what kind of god is this? is having a dig at other peoples faith.
Welcome to the English language.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
It is fine that you do not feel strongly towards religion,or feel insulting religion or gods is fine.Even i believe sometimes such laws could go over the top if intrepreted incorrectly.
But Poking fun at faiths of millions of people who worship Lord Hanuman by associating such derogatory terms is not on..
the root of this problem once again is the freedom any faith, faith is not allowed to questioned, rediculed or argured agianst ... and as symonds and co pointed out it seemed strange for the authorities to hide behind there religion re monkey chats etc... symonds and co know it is not a good idea to poke fun at a religion .. but to hide behind it while you deliver racial abuse was an area symonds and co would not tolarate... and good on them for giving it go... but like this poster said hes up against million plus people here...