• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best spinning combination since 1950

The best spin-combo since 1950

• Alf Valentine / Sonny Ramadhin (WI)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anil Kumble / Venkatapathy Raju / Rajesh Chauhan (Ind)

• Derek Underwood / Ray Illingworth (Eng)

• Saqlain Mushtaq / Mushtaq Ahmed (Pak)

• Richie Benaud / Ian Johnson (Aus)

• Richie Benaud / Lindsay Kline (Aus)

• Subash Gupte/ Vinoo Mankad / Ghulam Ahmed (Ind)

• Intikhab Alam / Pervez Sajjad (Pak)

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Iqbal Qasim as a rule is an interesting case. He and Abdul Qadir are about the only point in Pakistan's history where seam was not pre-eminent - and of course throughout the careers of both there was Imran Khan, who could turn just about any conditions to his advantage.

IIRR, Abdul-Iqbal's home\away difference is almost as pronounced as Bedi-Chandra-Prasanna's. As Imran could do as well on dustbowls as green seamers, they could play to the strength of Iqbal and Abdul while not undermining the greatest threat of Imran.

Precambrian

Banned
I can't believe Chandra did not spin the ball more out of the two - but both were said to have spun it less than your "typical" (read Warne or Grimmett) wristspinner, and also to have been much quicker through the air than most spinners - similar in pace to a fingerspinner like Derek Underwood.
AWTA. Chandra got more spin than Kumble and was deadly on undercooked pitches (muggy ones in England). He lacked the loop and turn of Warne. He had a good googly though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Indeed - for example, I'm sure I once read you speak highly of Oliver Rayner, and I'm sure you also once said a bad word... somewhere... about Sir James Laker.

Aha! This must mean you consider Rayner > Laker!

(I had someone, repeatedly, use that logic on me - asserting that I thought Craig White > Glenn McGrath 8-))
This is like when you said Vic Marks > Shane Warne, isn't it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, you tried to put it into my mouth (or it might've been Marc, can't remember - these things blur into one often enough). That's different to me actually saying it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, and John to rant in fury at the exclusion of Vettori-Patel. You heard it here first.

Precambrian

Banned
Iqbal Qasim as a rule is an interesting case. He and Abdul Qadir are about the only point in Pakistan's history where seam was not pre-eminent - and of course throughout the careers of both there was Imran Khan, who could turn just about any conditions to his advantage.

IIRR, Abdul-Iqbal's home\away difference is almost as pronounced as Bedi-Chandra-Prasanna's. As Imran could do as well on dustbowls as green seamers, they could play to the strength of Iqbal and Abdul while not undermining the greatest threat of Imran.
Yeah, but Imran Khan himself was more than a handful. There was also Sarfaraz Nawaz and Sikander Bakht to a lesser extent. But more stock than strike. Except Imran.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Did Laker and Wardle ever bowl together?

I think that WA Johnson and Benaud would be quite good. WA, as opposed to Ian, has incredible stats, and is often overlooked.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's something of a difference as "spin combinations" go between a pair or trio of spinners who played together only when the team management wanted to bring multiple spinners, and those who played together all the time. I think it's pretty hard to compare, say, Kumble/Harbhajan and Warne/MacGill because in one case, they were a genuine bowling pair, played together regularly for a long period of time with both the inherent advantages and disadvantages of that. They may have learned to bowl as a team, build pressure together and work together to exploit the weaknesses of batsmen, but they also played together on wickets which didn't assist spin and so on.

Warne and MacGill on the other hand almost exclusively played together on turning wickets, or when there was an expectation of spin being successful, at least. I think there's no doubt that the Australian pair was more "successful" on the occasions they bowled together, but I think if they bowled together for years on end in every match it'd a much more reasonable comparison to make.

Precambrian

Banned
Did Laker and Wardle ever bowl together?

I think that WA Johnson and Benaud would be quite good. WA, as opposed to Ian, has incredible stats, and is often overlooked.
They did. For 10 test matches between 1948 and 1957, taking 69 wickets together at an impressive average of 20. Wardle was clearly the frontrunner among them taking 42 wickets at 17, Laker took the remaining 27 at 25. However since they do not meet the criteria of minimum 100 wickets together, they have not been considered in my analysis.

As for WA Johnston, aka Bill Johnston, and Richie Benaud have played together in 15 test matches, from 1952-55, ie, towards the end years of Johnston. They together took 82 wickets at an average over 30, and again fail short of the minimum requirements of my study. Johnston took 43 wickets @ 33 in these 15 tests, clearly way off from his impressive career average of 23 (160 wickets) from 40 tests.

Days of Grace

International Captain
They did. For 10 test matches between 1948 and 1957, taking 69 wickets together at an impressive average of 20. Wardle was clearly the frontrunner among them taking 42 wickets at 17, Laker took the remaining 27 at 25. However since they do not meet the criteria of minimum 100 wickets together, they have not been considered in my analysis.
Maybe you should drop this down to a minimum of 50 wickets together.

Precambrian

Banned
There's something of a difference as "spin combinations" go between a pair or trio of spinners who played together only when the team management wanted to bring multiple spinners, and those who played together all the time. I think it's pretty hard to compare, say, Kumble/Harbhajan and Warne/MacGill because in one case, they were a genuine bowling pair, played together regularly for a long period of time with both the inherent advantages and disadvantages of that. They may have learned to bowl as a team, build pressure together and work together to exploit the weaknesses of batsmen, but they also played together on wickets which didn't assist spin and so on.

Warne and MacGill on the other hand almost exclusively played together on turning wickets, or when there was an expectation of spin being successful, at least. I think there's no doubt that the Australian pair was more "successful" on the occasions they bowled together, but I think if they bowled together for years on end in every match it'd a much more reasonable comparison to make.
Very valid points. However I would like to point out that such a scenario, like the Warne-MacGill is more of a modern phenomenon, where two spinners, one of them usually substituting the other, complemented each other in test matches. However, this being strictly a statistical analysis, with criteria of minimum 100 wickets shared between them, I could not ignore such cases, since I thought the said criteria would be sufficient to weed out exceptional cases as you pointed out.

That said, Warne-MacGill could be taken as an exception, and I think I could find solace in that.

Precambrian

Banned
Maybe you should drop this down to a minimum of 50 wickets together.
I did not because that would make many cases of oddities, like FaaipDeOiad pointed out, to creep in the analysis. Also refer to my above post. I also think that to qualify as an all time spinning combination, atleast statistically, they should have played a certain number of games together or taken a certain number of wickets together.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Kumble and Harbhajan seem to be better than the three combinations of the four pronged spin attack surprisingly. Heard their praises sung so often, surprising their record isn't much better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This looks conclusive...
Not really. As I say, Marc trying to put words on my keyboard. That post refers to ODIs, which were a different game in the 1970s and 1980s to the 1990s and 2000s.

In fact, re-reading that post, I state so much in it. :blink: Marc says "could it not be that these bowlers played when the game was a more even match between bat and ball?"; I reply "yes (except in Dale's case)". I say that the game in the 1970s and 1980s is incomparable to that in the 1990s and 2000s.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. As I say, Marc trying to put words on my keyboard. That post refers to ODIs, which were a different game in the 1970s and 1980s to the 1990s and 2000s.

In fact, re-reading that post, I state so much in it. :blink: Marc says "could it not be that these bowlers played when the game was a more even match between bat and ball?"; I reply "yes (except in Dale's case)". I say that the game in the 1970s and 1980s is incomparable to that in the 1990s and 2000s.
Hmm it reads as

Marc asked
"So you're trying to tell us that the likes of Max Walker, Chris Old, Simon Davis, Mike Whitney, Adam Dale, Vic Marks and John Lever are all better bowlers than ANY current bowler?"
You replied
"Most of them, yes, rather obviously, but not Dale"