• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might quote that line re. sensibilities as the tour goes on (hopefully won't have to though) :).

What about this time of year for test in India? I've read some guys say the ball might swing around or seam a bit at this time compared with others. Does that sound right?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Might quote that line re. sensibilities as the tour goes on (hopefully won't have to though) :).

What about this time of year for test in India? I've read some guys say the ball might swing around or seam a bit at this time compared with others. Does that sound right?
Wasn't the 2006 CT in India at this time of year? The pitches provided assistance for bowlers then I think I remember.

Precambrian

Banned

It will swing the first hour in Delhi and Mohali. And well, Bangalore too.

pup11

International Coach
Agreed. However free speech doesnt mean demeaning speech. Whether intended or not. Ought to respect sensibilities of everyone here. :)
Two wrongs don't make one right, do they??

Ok you were not happy with what Social said, but then you also went ahead and did the same thing without "respecting sensibilities of everyone here", so what is the big difference between you and him in this regard.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Two wrongs don't make one right, do they??

Ok you were not happy with what Social said, but then you also went ahead and did the same thing without "respecting sensibilities of everyone here", so what is the big difference between you and him in this regard.
let it go mate, the point was made, the apology was offered and the post was deleted. Y continue to beat the bush?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But... didn't Australia win at MCG and SCG with stump-to-stump tactics, yeah we all know umpiring was piss poor in Sydney but still all the success Australia had there was due similar tactic they adopted in India during the 04 series.

Incidentally when they decided to exploit the conditions at WACA by trying to attack with a off-stump and outside off line they went onto lose that game, so that certainly indicates something, doesn't it?

Having said that Australian management should be flexible enough to work around with their tactics according to the conditions they come across.
not sure I agree with that, tbh.

In Sydney, both Laxman and Sachin made lots of runs through boundaries, esp. Laxman. It was not really the same plan they had in 2004 or at least it was not working as it did in 2004. Plus, at the MCG, it was mainly the undercooked Indian batsmen that made their job easy, not any great tactics. It was good bowling, sure but it was also some very bad batting... And Perth pitch was and has been as flat as a pancake for so many years now.. Aussies tried the same things as in 2004 there too, and it quite simply did not work. Pure and simple..

Also, it must be noted that while those tactics worked against Sachin, Laxman, Dravid and Ganguly, against Sehwag, whenever he got set, he dominated them even in 2004, even with those fields and that line of attack.. So I don't think it is any kind of fool proof, "will definitely work" plan.

As I say, I still think they will have more success gunning for the edges.. Also, with Mitch Johnson and the other left armer as part of their plans, it immediately makes the "attack the stumps" line that much more tougher to execute.. With these left armers, if they attack the stumps, unless they generate prodigious swing, it will be easy for our guys to tuck it around to the leg side with no fear of the LBW..

pup11

International Coach
Wasn't the 2006 CT in India at this time of year? The pitches provided assistance for bowlers then I think I remember.
The pitches were undercooked more than anything else, especially the one at Mumbai, that's why there was so much assistance for the bowlers.

Top_Cat

But... didn't Australia win at MCG and SCG with stump-to-stump tactics, yeah we all know umpiring was piss poor in Sydney but still all the success Australia had there was due similar tactic they adopted in India during the 04 series.

Incidentally when they decided to exploit the conditions at WACA by trying to attack with a off-stump and outside off line they went onto lose that game, so that certainly indicates something, doesn't it?
Nah if anything lost the Aussies that Test, was their batting in the first innings. The Aussies bowled fine and it's not as if India got away to a flyer and posted huge scores. No-one got 400 in the match.

Anyway, don't know if bowling several km outside off-stump, like Tait and Johnson did regularly, really counts as 'bowling an off-stump line'......

Precambrian

Banned
Yep, Perth was more of the first innings fiasco batting by Australians. Going by the expected conditions, I guess Australians will be putting a lot of eggs in the Swing basket. And unless Indian curators resort to a completely shaved off pitch, I can see even Australia going in with no spinners into the Mohali and Bangalore tests.

Top_Cat

Yep, Perth was more of the first innings fiasco batting by Australians. Going by the expected conditions, I guess Australians will be putting a lot of eggs in the Swing basket. And unless Indian curators resort to a completely shaved off pitch, I can see even Australia going in with no spinners into the Mohali and Bangalore tests.
They better not pick Johnson, then. :ph34r:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ok, this is over now, if you still have a problem, put each other on ignore, and don't read each others posts, or reply to them

It will swing the first hour in Delhi and Mohali. And well, Bangalore too.
Makes the series more interesting. I wonder weather the captains will bat first, and survive the swing, then bat it out on a flat, spinning track, or bowl, and try to get a couple of wickets straight up, but need to bat last, on a spinning track.

In my opinion Australia should probably bat first, hope to survive, because India have no real swing bowlers, apart from inconsistent Zaheer Kahn. As long as we survive, we can post a big total, prevent Harbhajan and Kumble from bowling last on a spinning track, and hope to bowl them out cheep and win. Good plan in my opinion.

Precambrian

Banned
Makes the series more interesting. I wonder weather the captains will bat first, and survive the swing, then bat it out on a flat, spinning track, or bowl, and try to get a couple of wickets straight up, but need to bat last, on a spinning track.

In my opinion Australia should probably bat first, hope to survive, because India have no real swing bowlers, apart from inconsistent Zaheer Kahn. As long as we survive, we can post a big total, prevent Harbhajan and Kumble from bowling last on a spinning track, and hope to bowl them out cheep and win. Good plan in my opinion.
I don't think he's been inconsistent over the last one year.

And batting first always counts on Indian pitches. That's why am really wishing there are no **** jobs by curators, and a flat dry pitch is offered.

A bit of grass, trust our batsmen to present the match on a platter to the visting team. They really **** up in mental stakes.

pup11

International Coach
not sure I agree with that, tbh.

In Sydney, both Laxman and Sachin made lots of runs through boundaries, esp. Laxman. It was not really the same plan they had in 2004 or at least it was not working as it did in 2004. Plus, at the MCG, it was mainly the undercooked Indian batsmen that made their job easy, not any great tactics. It was good bowling, sure but it was also some very bad batting... And Perth pitch was and has been as flat as a pancake for so many years now.. Aussies tried the same things as in 2004 there too, and it quite simply did not work. Pure and simple..

Also, it must be noted that while those tactics worked against Sachin, Laxman, Dravid and Ganguly, against Sehwag, whenever he got set, he dominated them even in 2004, even with those fields and that line of attack.. So I don't think it is any kind of fool proof, "will definitely work" plan.

As I say, I still think they will have more success gunning for the edges.. Also, with Mitch Johnson and the other left armer as part of their plans, it immediately makes the "attack the stumps" line that much more tougher to execute.. With these left armers, if they attack the stumps, unless they generate prodigious swing, it will be easy for our guys to tuck it around to the leg side with no fear of the LBW..

That's the real issue, the calibre of bowlers in the Aussie camp isn't the same as it was in 04, so that really takes the sting away from these tactics, but still you have look at the MCG and SCG test you would see that Aussies more or less attacked the wickets and had predominantly set their fields in front of the stumps and made likes of Sachin play onto his stumps on a lot of occasions.

At Perth so much hype was created by the media that the wicket is really quick and blah, blah, blah and that distracted the Aussies, they tried to bowl short but without much assistance from the pitch they looked pedestrian due to that.

As i said before if the pitch provides assistance to the Aussie fast bowlers then they should look for the edges, but otherwise if they come across a typical sub-continental track then they should stick to the stump-to-stump tactic.

Precambrian

Banned
That's the real issue, the calibre of bowlers in the Aussie camp isn't the same as it was in 04, so that really takes the sting away from these tactics, but still you have look at the MCG and SCG test you would see that Aussies more or less attacked the wickets and had predominantly set their fields in front of the stumps and made likes of Sachin play onto his stumps on a lot of occasions.

At Perth so much hype was created by the media that the wicket is really quick and blah, blah, blah and that distracted the Aussies, they tried to bowl short but without much assistance from the pitch they looked pedestrian due to that.

As i said before if the pitch provides assistance to the Aussie fast bowlers then they should look for the edges, but otherwise if they come across a typical sub-continental track then they should stick to the stump-to-stump tactic.
Perth was more to do with the Aussie batsmen capitulating in front of some good bowling by the Indian quicks and then some rubbish bowling by Tait in paricular. And if hey were indeed "distracted" by media about the nature of the wicket, i'd say they deserved to lose, as they can't even think for themselves.