• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Openers for the ODI's

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, fair call. But the be honest, there aren't many sides going around, or maybe aren't many players going around, that fill me with confidence in terms of relying on them to score runs consistently or play a big innings (in ODI's).

Australia would have the highest percentage of batsmen who do, followed by South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, with New Zealand, England & WIndies equal, followed by Bangladesh & Zim.
Indeed. Nevertheless, New Zealand are a class above England in ODIs, more due to much greater tactical aptitude, a less confused selectorial policy, treating the game with more respect than England do, and Daniel Vettori.

pup11

International Coach
Indeed. Nevertheless, New Zealand are a class above England in ODIs, more due to much greater tactical aptitude, a less confused selectorial policy, treating the game with more respect than England do, and Daniel Vettori.
Seriously England had no business of losing to such a depleted Black Cap side in the recent Odi series and that too at home, New Zealand are very much at a rebuilding phase atm, and England should have been able to beat them pretty convincingly, but the very fact that England went onto loss 3-1 (which should have been 4-1 if some common sense would have prevailed), doesn't speak too highly of the English Odi unit.

Uppercut

Seriously England had no business of losing to such a depleted Black Cap side in the recent Odi series and that too at home, New Zealand are very much at a rebuilding phase atm, and England should have been able to beat them pretty convincingly, but the very fact that England went onto loss 3-1 (which should have been 4-1 if some common sense would have prevailed), doesn't speak too highly of the English Odi unit.
Well, yeah. But they lost two consecutive ODI series, and both could so easily have been 4-1. Above, i put it down largely to differences in attitude, on second thoughts, i think NZ have marginally better ODI players too. For example, Ian Bell is a more talented and gifted player than Jamie How, but as an opener in an ODI i'd have How every single time. Comparing their most recent lineups,

How> Cook (all rankings are exclusively ODIs, btw)
McCullum>>> Bell
Pietersen>>>Taylor
Styris>>> Bopara
Shah>> Flynn
Oram>>>>>>>Luke Wright
Grant Elliot> Ambrose
Vettori>>>>>>> Swann
Mills>Broad
Sidebottom>Southee
Anderson> Gillespie

I make that New Zealand having better players in 7 out of 11 positions from England, give or take. Why didn't they have a right to beat England in consecutive ODI series?

Woodster

International Captain
The ball was still moving around when he came in during those games, which was my point. Its hard to bat at 5 and come in the first 10 overs. Heres another game, was in during the 12th over http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/OD_TOURNEYS/NWC/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_NWC_ODI2_10JUL2005.html.
Flintoff has batted 20 times coming in at either 3 or 4 and averages 17.88 at 3, while it slightly improves to 23.64 at 4. At number 5 he has been most successful, which coincided with his excellent form, this allows him time to settle and then free his arms later in the game, ideally. However, I'm not suggesting he is not now the batter he was, but I don't think currently he warrants a place in the top 5.

Maybe, he might be a better option when he already has his form back. But do you see him getting his form back by batting at number 6 and having no other alternative but to slog it around? Theres inevitably more pressure batting at 6 than at the top IMO because you can easily screw up a match situation irrepairably in a shorter period of time. I think giving him the opportunity to settle in and take his time at the start of the innings would be ideal for him to get his form back. He needs time at the crease, not the license to slog because that is how hes being allowed to bat in CC and in the nets.
He absolutely needs to be positive, and batting towards the end when he has no option but to be, may see him find the middle of the bat and pitch in with a few helpful cameos. Batting at the top will have its pressures, if he is throwing the bat around in the dying stages, no-one can blame him should he be dismissed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, yeah. But they lost two consecutive ODI series, and both could so easily have been 4-1. Above, i put it down largely to differences in attitude, on second thoughts, i think NZ have marginally better ODI players too. For example, Ian Bell is a more talented and gifted player than Jamie How, but as an opener in an ODI i'd have How every single time. Comparing their most recent lineups,

How> Cook (all rankings are exclusively ODIs, btw)
McCullum>>> Bell
Pietersen>>>Taylor
Styris>>> Bopara
Shah>> Flynn
Oram>>>>>>>Luke Wright
Grant Elliot> Ambrose
Vettori>>>>>>> Swann
Mills>Broad
Sidebottom>Southee
Anderson> Gillespie

I make that New Zealand having better players in 7 out of 11 positions from England, give or take. Why didn't they have a right to beat England in consecutive ODI series?
I think those rankings are fair enough, except maybe that I would put it more like Broad=Mills. Broad hasn't done much in Tests with the balls but in ODIs of late he has been nothing short of excellent, IMO.

Uppercut

I think those rankings are fair enough, except maybe that I would put it more like Broad=Mills. Broad hasn't done much in Tests with the balls but in ODIs of late he has been nothing short of excellent, IMO.
Hmm he was very poor to begin with but improved drastically. I think that's fair. Mills is far more experienced in ODIs and actually has a better record in every sense. Not a lot in it though. My memory of Broad is just skewed because no matter how good an ODI career he has i will always remember him as Stuart "6 sixes" Broad.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad's average is pretty decent as well, and I actually looked at the two over a certain period of time yesterday, and their records were almost identical with the ball, both averaging 26. Haven't looked at batting stats but fancy that Broad is a tad better there.

Uppercut

Broad's average is pretty decent as well, and I actually looked at the two over a certain period of time yesterday, and their records were almost identical with the ball, both averaging 26. Haven't looked at batting stats but fancy that Broad is a tad better there.
Oh yeah, they're very similar indeed, but Mills has played more than twice as many ODI games and I would marginally prefer him in my team. He's a useful enough batsman too, remember, although he wasn't always and his stats probably reflect that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You'd definitely be stretching it to say that Broad was better than Mills as this stage. Broad's had a decent start to his ODI career but Mills is a proven performer at that level and IMO has more at his disposal anyway.

_Ed_

Yeah. Probably at the end of their careers Broad > Mills, but at this stage the other way around IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You'd definitely be stretching it to say that Broad was better than Mills as this stage. Broad's had a decent start to his ODI career but Mills is a proven performer at that level and IMO has more at his disposal anyway.
Yeah, but I said Broad=Mills, and I did mean based over an equivalent period of the last 12-18 months

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but I said Broad=Mills, and I did mean based over an equivalent period of the last 12-18 months
Whilst I had my spreadsheet open.

There are only 4 seamers with better allround records (econ and av) in International cricket right now than Kyle Mills.

They are-
NW Bracken
MF Maharoof
M Ntini
A Flintoff

Thats good company. Id certainly take him ahead of Broad at the moment.

Thats no disrespect to Broad, just that Mills has been a fine player.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
I can't see the Bell and Prior opening partnership working. Bell tends to give the bowlers maidens by hitting the ball to the fielders and he hogs the strike. I think there were about three messages sent out to up the scoring but they weren't able to.

I would rather have 50 after 5 overs with a wicket or even two down than 50 after 15 overs without a loss of wicket. It puts a lot of pressure on the incoming batsmen.

Having Shah 75.47 come in at three rather Bopara 66.81 makes more sense as well.

Strike rates
Bell 71.69
Cook 68.07
Prior 73.24

Pietersen 87.21
Flintoff 87.92
Trescothick 85.21

McCullum - 90.64
Ryder 91.16
Smith 81.86
Gibbs 83.09
Sehwag 99.14
Jayasuriya 90.99
Gayle 80.22
Tendulkar 85.49

Uppercut

What happened to the good old idea of genuine openers to open the innings?
In batsmen-friendly conditions, it's not only unnecessary but puts you at a big disadvantage when playing a team with aggressive openers like South Africa, India, or Australia. If the ball looks like it'll do quite a bit early in the innings, genuine openers are the way to go.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What happened to the good old idea of genuine openers to open the innings?
Depends what you mean by "genuine openers".

Sri Lanka with Jayasuria, and Australia with Gilchrist, showed the value of having a destructive player at the top of the innings.

There's no-one in England who immediately springs to mind as fitting that sort of bill.

IMO, the one day culture needs to change in England, away from the "preserve wickets and smash 100 from the last 10." It has it's value, as shown by Flintoff and Pietersen's onslaught against South Africa, but had South Africa's middle order not folded, their target would have been easily chasable.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In batsmen-friendly conditions, it's not only unnecessary but puts you at a big disadvantage when playing a team with aggressive openers like South Africa, India, or Australia. If the ball looks like it'll do quite a bit early in the innings, genuine openers are the way to go.
Those teams have genuine openers (Hayden, Smith, Marsh, Sehwag, Gambhir and a converted opener) who can also score quickly. They're not out-and-out pinch hitters like Gilchrist, Sanath or Gayle, but they do the job just right for ODIs, and don't crawl like we've seen, say, Marvan or Salman Butt, or here itself, Strauss. We've seen someone like Cook keep the momentum going quite well, while building an innings. The loss of Trescothick is a big one, as we saw in that match against Gloucs. The team needs either two genuine openers who can adapt to ODI cricket, or at least one very effective pinch-hitter.