• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Srinath-How Quick was he?

Precambrian

Banned
And Malinga was timed at 154.5k at NZ. I would give a fair shot for Srinath as he definietly looked as quick as Malinga.

Once he broke the grill of Lanka de Silva's helmet and rearranged the anatomy of his nose, on a placid slow pitch. And he did the same to Meyrick Pringle in SAF IIRC. To do that, I would think that a bowler should be at least 140k+
Didn't Irfan "Expresso" Pathan do that to Mark Vermeulen of Zimbabwe some time back?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Irfan "Expresso" Pathan do that to Mark Vermeulen of Zimbabwe some time back?
Yeah but someone could throw a slow-moving nerf ball at Mark Vermulen and he'd have not only found a way to get hit by it but would have caved in his face. Most injury-prone cricketer ever.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So ypu are telling that even a spinner can break the grill of a helmet?
No, I didn't say that, as you would have seen if you took the trouble to read my post. Perhaps you could try re-reading it? I said that McGrath bowling at fast-medium broke KP's ribs.

WTF then they are worn?
Because they reduce the risk of injury; but they do not, and cannot, eliminate the risk.

Your comments are getting more and more moronic.
If logic fails you (or you aren't able to read what I've written properly) then personal abuse will always be a useful standby. Well done you.

What ever lift a bowler get they have to be seriously quick to crack a helmet. Especially the grill. Tho shatter the nose after breaking the grill needs still more pace.
Did you see the ball with which Anderson rearranged Daniel Flynn's teeth this summer? This was a sharp delivery, but not express pace. Yet it had enough force to completely deform his grille, the grille smashed into Flynn's teeth and knocked them out. This is not evidence that Jimmy Anderson is an out-and-out quick bowler.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I didn't say that, as you would have seen if you took the trouble to read my post. Perhaps you could try re-reading it? I said that McGrath bowling at fast-medium broke KP's ribs.
The implication?

Because they reduce the risk of injury; but they do not, and cannot, eliminate the risk.
If the grill is broken by a 130k delivery and it could be due to only one thing. That helmet is damn bad. If a 130k Srinath according to you crack it, what would a 150k Akthar do? You cannot break a grill very easily. All people who have done it, were seriously quick.

Did you see the ball with which Anderson rearranged Daniel Flynn's teeth this summer? This was a sharp delivery, but not express pace. Yet it had enough force to completely deform his grille, the grille smashed into Flynn's teeth and knocked them out. This is not evidence that Jimmy Anderson is an out-and-out quick bowler.
That flicked the lowermost wire of the grill and sneaked through the gap between grill and the chin. Lanka Silva's incident, grill was hit flush on front, and it wires were broken in to pieces. The impact was nerve chillingly more ferocious than Flynn delivery. I'll try to find a clip for you to see the difference.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll try to find a clip for you to see the difference.
Do what you like. I'm not particularly interested in getting into a debate with you about this because (a) I disagree with just about everything you've written (insofar as I understand it), (b) you seem to be unable to read what I have had to say, (c) you're obviously not going to change your mind and (d) you seem to think it's acceptable to resort to unnecessary abuse.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Do what you like. I'm not particularly interested in getting into a debate with you about this because (a) I disagree with just about everything you've written (insofar as I understand it), (b) you seem to be unable to read what I have had to say, (c) you're obviously not going to change your mind and (d) you seem to think it's acceptable to resort to unnecessary abuse.
I am also putting an end to it for the similar reasons, and because I feel sick when I see such arrogant and moronic behavior. Bye! Bye!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I watched Srinanth in the early 90s and noone would have considered him as one of the quickest around.

He was exactly what you say he wasnt, a fast medium bowler who occasionally bowled a quick delivery.

He was probably a bit quicker than he looked which made him deceptive but to try and put him with the quickest in the rapid category is almost getting desperate.

The article listed is not very good. It has no souces, none of claims are substantiated. Its all rumour and guess work.

There is only 1 attributed quote and that is from Tendulkar "It was one of the greatest exhibitions of fast bowling I have seen from an Indian for a long time."

I wouldnt argue with that at all. That sems a fair assessment. However, it is after that the article starts losing credibility.

During the 90s, words used to describe Srinath often included "hits the pitch hard", "lively" etc. Never express.

If he was anything other than Indian there wouldnt be a discussion on the topic.

Never claimed Srinath was "express". In my opinion "express" would refer to guys like Akhtar and Lee who produced spells in excess of 150 kph at times.
I don't think Srinath was that quick.
I do think in the period 1992-1996, Srinath was fast though - "fast" I would say is someone who can bowl consistently in the 140's. And I think Srinath would have done that quite comfortably. He certainly was clocking 140+ quite regularly on the morning of the Calcutta test against AUstralia and this was post shoulder injury when he had definitely dropped a yard of pace. I don't agree with the assertion that he was a fast mediumer who occasionally bowled a quick delivery.....that would describe someone like Agarkar who came on board in 1998. Srinath at his peak was definitely faster than AA.

Its hard to quantify this - this was a time when bowling speeds were not as highly scrutinised as they are now. Furthermore, the INternet was in its infancy then - so any articles published in the Hindu or so forth on how quick Srinath was are hardly going to be available as references.
However, several guys e.g Gary Kirsten, Saeed Anwar, Andrew Hudson who faced him reckoned he was genuinely quick and I think that's about as strong an indicator you can get about how quick he actually was.
Add to the fact that when he was timed with some degree of confidence at sea level in Calcutta in 1998 and in England in 1999, he was producing speeds in the high 140's, I don't think its far fetched to say Srinath was a genuine fast man.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Come on, this is really not a helpful comment, and deep down even you must realise that it's nonsense as well.

I agree. I watched him in Australia in 1991/92 and England in 1996 and there were no speedguns in those days but he was a fast/medium seamer.

Cricinfo rates him as fast-medium and I think that's about right.
Well Kevin Gough seems to think I'm merely having this argument to defend a fellow Indian. Whether Srinath is Indian or not is immaterial to me....based on what I saw and read, I feel Srinath was genuinely fast. And I think there is some justification for that claim.

Cricinfo also rate Ishant Sharma as fast and I think most knowledgeable observers of Indian cricket would not dispute the idea that Srinath at his peak was quicker than Ishant.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo also rate Ishant Sharma as fast and I think most knowledgeable observers of Indian cricket would not dispute the idea that Srinath at his peak was quicker than Ishant.
Yep I'm not pretending that cricinfo's "speed rating" is infallible, but from what I saw of Srinath over the years I'd say fast-medium was about right. Mind you it depends on how you define "fast" - I'd say there was an argument that McGrath was fast in the first part of his career and I suppose he was comparable to Srinath.

Beleg

International Regular
agree with zaremba completely. i watched almost all of his career and he was a 130's bowler.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
srinath could bowl fast on occasions but he was medium fast overall...he had talent but his problem was that he lacked the application, stamina, determination, aggression to be world-class...is the 2nd best pace bowler that india has produced so far, although that isn't saying much because he is a distant 2nd to dev and also because he just wasn't all that good...like the guy as a person though...

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Speedguns sure make fast bowlers look slower.

We may not have seen a speedgun reading at that time, but Srinath was a lot faster than your average Indian medium-fast strike pacer. He could extract extra bounce at times, and could bowl some unplayable deliveries that would have batsmen in really bad shape. I still remember what he did to Meryck Pringle- ghastly images of that injury were used on posters by fans in the stands.

Still, he wasn't too aggressive. He saw Pringle in such a condition, and it made him feel so uneasy, he had to have medical attention. Later on, he bowled a nasty one at Ponting, and then asked if he feels alright- being Ponting, he had some acidic, caustic abuses in response. Surely, he was the fastest Indian bowler ever, and fast enough to make a big impact, even if he wasn't a record-breaker for pace. If only India had a bowler as fast as Srinath and as aggressive as Zaheer- that would be ideal.

There's a joke- Srinath was unusually quick as a vegetarian. Then he started eating meat.

pup11

International Coach
Srinath was quick at the time when he made his debut, but i don't think he was ever a genuine quick bowler.
As for Dale Steyn, i agree he has never been a bowler who bowls over 150 kmph, he is pacy but more or less he bowls in the 140 kmph bracket.