Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Cricket Bats

Cricket Spectator

Recommended Cricket Bats

Hi,

I'm a regular cricket player at village level in England and I am an opening batsman but I don't own my own bat since my tried and trusted Duncan Fearnley split earlier this year.

I really need to buy a bat but I don't have more than 60 really.

Are there any cheap bats or makes that I can get at this price??

The shop near me sells all kinds of bats quite cheap but I'm not sure if they will be good enough to last me.

Linen covered bats are a bit cheap and supposedly not very good??

Has anyone any recommendations??

International Regular
    Moderator to merge with other thread imo.

KickUps Champion!
    What size bat do you use? Because Mens bats cost significantly more than junior bats.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Moderator to merge with other thread imo.

You're now officially a forum regular.

Congratulations!!
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Spectator
    I will require a short handle bat as I am 5ft11, I also require a really light bat as I don't have much power and I have only hit a couple of sixes in my life. I normally just push the ball for singles.

I don't play at a high standard but require a bat that will be good enough for what I need.

is Kashmir Willow worth buying for my level of cricket?

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by kevcarlisle View Post
    I will require a short handle bat as I am 5ft11, I also require a really light bat as I don't have much power and I have only hit a couple of sixes in my life. I normally just push the ball for singles.

I don't play at a high standard but require a bat that will be good enough for what I need.

Kashmir Willow wont be good enough for almost any level of cricket that uses a hard ball. Kashmir is only really used for kids cricket (where they use rubber balls) or indoor cricket. It is shocking stuff.

For $180 NZ (roughly 60 pounds) you would be looking at probably a 3rd/4th grade English Willow bat (which is 10 times better than any Kashmir Willow bat).

If you want something light you might like to look at the GM Purist 505, Slazenger also make a good range of pretty light bats. You also make like to take a look on ebay, you can get some great bats for very good prices i've found.

The best thing to do would be to go into a store and find the bats which suit your criteria (weight and price wise) then do a bit of shadow batting with them. You will know soon enough if the bat suits you or not.

Hopefully this helps...
    Last edited by Polo23; 23-07-2008 at 05:23 AM.

KickUps Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevcarlisle View Post

Well here are a few examples. Not sure how good they are but oh well.

http://www.cricketdirect.com/acatalo...ats_cobra.html

http://www.crickethaven.co.uk/cricke...etail.php?id=5

http://www.worldcricketstore.com/product_detail.asp?id=7489&id_pclass=297&callingpa ge=product_listing

You might need to spend a bit more to get a better bat but its worth it. My experience with kashmir willow isn't great as my old one split in half. So I don't really trust them. For around 80 pounds you should be able to get a decent bat. You could get an English willow bat for 60 pounds but Im not sure what the quality will be like.

First rule of any cricket equipment when you are buying on a budget is buy it in the off season when the new kit is released. I would also suggest that you will be struggling to get anything that will last for 60. Chances are you will buying another in a year or two unless you get lucky, in april I got a puma stealth 5000 from last season for 100 (reduced from 175) and havn;t looked back, by for the best bat purchase I've ever made (so far).

Other than that, if you can't borrow for the last couple of months of the season ebay is a good shout. However, as an opener sure you know that unless you get to feel it first there is no point buying here as "not feeling right" is no reason to return a product on a site like this.

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of
    creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

You're now officially a forum regular.

Congratulations!!

Please explain.

Sorry mate, what I meant was - once you start taking pot shots at newer posters about where and how they should post, you're really part of the CW community. Nothing bad about it.

Well, I had to buy a new bat the other day for the first time in about 5 years.
    Went for some Slazenger thing, can't even remember what it's called, but it was reduced as it had last year's stickers on it. Anyway, it's light to pick up but looks like the sword of Damocles, the edges are that thick.
    So I'm happy I got it, despite it being the wonderfully bargin price of $485 (gulp!!).

Then I get home last night, turn on the box, and Ian Bell's using the same type of bat.

Dire.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    you could probably get an asian bat for around 80 pounds. SS, SG, BDM, CA are some of the better asian brands. I have an SG Sunny tonny bat, which is G2ish english willow that I got for $180 US (around 90 pounds) and i've been pretty satisfied.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer BHG86's Avatar
    I spent 220 on a GM Purist Original LE...ouch. Cracking bat though.

My mate picked up an RBK bat, brand new, off E-bay for 30. I don't use E-bay myself but I have had a look through and you could find a decent bat there for 60 easily, one that you would pay upto 150 for in the shops.

Personally I'm GM and Salix mad, but there's nothing wrong with any of the more reputable makes really...

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Gray Nicholls Single Scoop
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

My 3 recommendations:

1. Vampire
    2. Pipistrelle
    3. Long-Eared Fruit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information