• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Upsets?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
What do u think is the greatest upset of all time? Is it:

1983: Zim Vs Aus?
1983: Ind Vs W.Ind?
1992: Eng Vs Saf?
1996: W.Ind Vs Ken?
2005: Ban Vs Aus?
2007: Pak Vs Ire?
2007: Ind Vs Ban?

Got even better to discuss, well wat are we waiting for? :ph34r:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What do u think is the greatest upset of all time? Is it:

1983: Zim Vs Aus?
1983: Ind Vs W.Ind?
1992: Eng Vs Saf?
2005: Ban Vs Aus?
2007: Pak Vs Ire?
2007: Ind Vs Ban?

Got even better to discuss, well wat are we waiting for? :ph34r:
1992 Eng v South Africa?
You mean the World Cup semi-final?
England were tipped by many to win the World Cup and had already beaten South Africa (and hosts Australia) in the round-robin stage.
Predictably England ****ed it up in the final (Botham given out for 0 off his thigh pad) but beating South Africa was not a shock.

I'd say Bangladesh v Australia in 2005 but there are some pretty big other shocks in there too.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The way it was so out of the blue

That and

2001: Ind v Kenya in South Africa (strangely enough the first timI saw Kenya cricket on live TV)
2004?: West Indies v. Ireland (it was a tour match and didn't get ODI status)
1996: Sri Lanka
1983: India

and embarrsasingly for me
2007: Kenya v Uganda (That T20 match)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
2004?: West Indies v. Ireland (it was a tour match and didn't get ODI status)
Also Ireland beating the West Indies in 1928

Also Ireland beating the West Indies in 1969 (and bowling them out for 25 along the way).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When Durham (many years before they achieved first class status) knocked the mighty Yorkshire out of the old Gillette Cup to become the first minor county to topple a first class county I can recall the utter amazement (although being a Lancastrian may make that a particularly sweet and treasured memory)

At international level the Bangladesh win over Australia in 2005 and Zimbabwe's 20/20 win over them are classic David v Goliath efforts - although even they would have been dwarfed had Bangladesh got home in that Test Match but just getting as close as they did was pretty remarkable

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The circumstances of that "victory" make it a bit dubious as an entry.
Because of the rumours that the Windies had all got pissed up at the Guinness brewery beforehand?

The irony is that when Ireland won they continued with the game as, efffectively, a beer match.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Because of the rumours that the Windies had all got pissed up at the Guinness brewery beforehand?

The irony is that when Ireland won they continued with the game as, efffectively, a beer match.
It was a one-day two innings match which was incomplete but they decided that if the match wasn't completed the winners would be the team with a first innings lead.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
1992 Eng v South Africa?
You mean the World Cup semi-final?
England were tipped by many to win the World Cup and had already beaten South Africa (and hosts Australia) in the round-robin stage.
Predictably England ****ed it up in the final (Botham given out for 0 off his thigh pad) but beating South Africa was not a shock.

I'd say Bangladesh v Australia in 2005 but there are some pretty big other shocks in there too.
Am sorry actually i was mentioning by the way they won in that match...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It was a one-day two innings match which was incomplete but they decided that if the match wasn't completed the winners would be the team with a first innings lead.
There are contradictory accounts in different parts of cricinfo (and cricket archive), with some suggesting that they just played on because the result was achieved so quickly.

In any event the rules may have been unusual but so what? The result was certainly an upset! As was Ireland bowling them out for 25.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This should be limited to Test cricket. It's much easier to pull off an upset in an ODI, making it much more likely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure any one of the above can be conclusively the worst.

Kenya-West Indies and Ireland-Pakistan are equal for mine.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a bit of a clue I agree but I didn't twig it - it was 50 or 60 without loss before I worked out what was going to happen and chucked out the caffeine tablets and the whizz and cancelled the Skysports subscription for the winter