• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most popular cricketer from each country?

Craig

World Traveller
As it stands Zimbabwe count (officially anyway, no matter what you or I think) and so do Bangladesh.

I think of them all, but the sort of people I'm looking at is:

Australia - Brett Lee

Etc.

Throw in some of the non Test playing teams if you want.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For a while earlier this year I'd have said Jesse Ryder easily for NZ. Not so sure now after his epic ****up. Would probably say Oram now.

FRAZ

International Captain
Srilanka = Muralitharan !
India = still Sachin
Bangladesh = that slim young man with good pull shot ...
England = Pieterson
Zimbabwe = Mbangwa
Ireland= Botha
Australia = yeah Craig got it right this time
South Africa = Jacques

Burgey

Hussey or Gilly would challenge Lee (obviously Gilly no longer a current international, but hey).

FRAZ

International Captain
I don't agree with that. Bond probably was, yeah, but I wouldn't say Vettori is.
Ask any Pakistani , Indian or Srilankan illiterate that what Kiwi player you know about !
I mean exclude me please because I am a keen observer of the society .

Craig

World Traveller
I think Lee would get it because he does come across as good guy, not a **** like Ponting does. I also think Kumar Sangakkara would be right up there in terms of popularity for Sri Lanka.

_Ed_

Ask any Pakistani , Indian or Srilankan illiterate that what Kiwi player you know about !
I mean exclude me please because I am a keen observer of the society .
I was thinking more of supporters here. The excitement in the crowd when Oram walks out to bat is beyond comparison with any other player in the NZ team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL - It's Jayasuriya, De Silva and then Muralitharan followed by Sangakkara.

Oddly, Mahela Jayawardane is not that popular as above four.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dwayne Bravo would run pretty close for West Indies. Though he plays some crap shots sometimes.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When they find out that I'm Australian, every person from the sub-continent that I talk to in Dubai says "Ricky Ponting - great cricketer" or words to that effect.

On the odd occasion they'll add a name like Gilchrist but I've never heard anyone mention Lee

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Murali isn't remotely close to being popular in quite a few countries TBH.
Yeah, quite. I imagine he's pretty beloved in Sri Lanka, but a lot of non-Sri Lankans (particularly those of the elder generation, it seems) wouldn't give him the time of day. Sangakarra would be my guess as the most popular amongst foreigners, seems a genuine nice & witty chap and plays like an absolute dream.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, quite. I imagine he's pretty beloved in Sri Lanka, but a lot of non-Sri Lankans (particularly those of the elder generation, it seems) wouldn't give him the time of day. Sangakarra would be my guess as the most popular amongst foreigners, seems a genuine nice & witty chap and plays like an absolute dream.
What about a certain Mahela Jayawardene?

England would be Flintoff, surely?
KP for mine, certainly now that Flintoff is not back in the team. Monty Panesar would be right up there given his cult following.