• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka agree to tour England in 2009

G.I.Joe

International Coach
:wallbash: is what you're looking for I believe.

And yeah, quoting which takes one line and treats it for something it is quite clearly (if you read it with what it's actually written with) not because in isolation it appears to be what they'd prefer it to be is annoying, innit?

EG:
Lol, there's even a smilie for that? :laugh:

Edit: wait, I just discovered where. :thumbs_up

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, renowned 2020 advocate Dicko sticking his oar in. What a complete non-shock that is. If I said the North Pole was cold the **** would disagree for the sake of it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:wallbash: is what you're looking for I believe.

And yeah, quoting which takes one line and treats it for something it is quite clearly (if you read it with what it's actually written with) not because in isolation it appears to be what they'd prefer it to be is annoying, innit?

EG:
It's a little bit annoying, but what really grinds my gears is when people actually change a word in the quote and then reply with "Fixed".

It takes the whole meaning away from "Originally Posted by X" for mine.

And yeah, I know someone will inevitably edit this post and say "fixed".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a little bit annoying, but what really grinds my gears is when people actually change a word in the quote and then reply with "Fixed".

If people insist on doing so, they should change the "Originally Posted by ___" to "Should have been Posted by ___".

Fix'd.

(Incidentally, I don't mind the above when done entirely or for the major part in jest - like here. But on the rare occasion someone does it with any seriousness, yeah, it's extremely annoying. I don't really see any way that it could be outlawed in forum rules, but if it could, I'd damn well support it.)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a little bit annoying, but what really grinds my gears is when people criticise me for wearing women's underwear. It's purely a comfort thing.

It takes the whole meaning away from "Originally Posted by X" for mine.

O yea of little faith. :sleep:

To be fair I wasn't taking GI Joe's quote out of context, nor changing its meaning. I said at the outset players will follow the money, as is their prerogative; no moral judgement was implied. All I was suggesting that I find it arse about face that a domestic 2020 competition has been given primacy over test matches. The fact the Sri Lankan board (apparently) hasn't paid them wasn't germane to this point.

Moreover, taking the precedent of the EPL, which is the acknowledged business model for the IPL, footballers have to be released from their domestic teams to play in internationals, a fact enshrined in FIFA legislation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FIFA =| ICC. Emphatically. FIFA is a govorning body, the ultimate authority. ICC is the sum of its parts, and only what the strongest ICC members want it to be.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FIFA =| ICC. Emphatically. FIFA is a govorning body, the ultimate authority. ICC is the sum of its parts, and only what the strongest ICC members want it to be.
I don't think the ICC have ever had a wanker to match Sepp Blatter at their head, though. Not quite.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He has a point. Had ECB foreseen that they'd not be allowing Zimbabwe to tour them, which was pretty evident at the time of signing the FTP, there shouldnt be any of this problem.
Well I can't agree that the FTP shouldn't have been signed, but I will say that there should have been a bit more foresight and the Zim tour should have been cancelled earlier.

Nonetheless, Sri Lanka should not have agreed to tour only to cancel a few months later. Which is why I am blaming SLC for the cancellation of this tour. Pretty logical, really.

Precambrian

Banned
Well I can't agree that the FTP shouldn't have been signed, but I will say that there should have been a bit more foresight and the Zim tour should have been cancelled earlier.

Nonetheless, Sri Lanka should not have agreed to tour only to cancel a few months later. Which is why I am blaming SLC for the cancellation of this tour. Pretty logical, really.
There is no doubt that SLC really messed it up, rather would say Ranatunga. He tried to enter into a pissing contest with the BCCI and now it's a pool which they are struggling to come out of.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He has a point. Had ECB foreseen that they'd not be allowing Zimbabwe to tour them, which was pretty evident at the time of signing the FTP, there shouldnt be any of this problem.
Ay, I said the same earlier this thread. Ridiculous that the thing was cancelled less than a year before it was due to take place. However, the FTP was signed back in 2002, IIRR. I'd guess a few people would've been hoping Robert Mugabe would've been ousted by then. A forlorn hope, I'm sure.

Things being swept under the carpet for a 7-year period is slightly more forgiveable than most cases of carpet-sweeping.