• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players Tournament, 2008

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
As am I. Really hope that these games have List A status. Would like to see the Indians field this team.

Ajinkya Rahane
Shikhar Dhiwan
Parthiv Patel
Manoj Tiwary
S. Badrinath
Pinal Shah
Abhishek Nayar
Iqbal Abdulla/Ravindra Jadeja
Amit Mishra
Pankaj Singh
Manpreet Gony

Not exactly sure what the batting line-up would be, as I've never heard anything about Pinal Shah and wouldn't know if he's batted that low before. You could probably swap Tiwary and Badrinath too, if the need arose.
Rahane- Slightly-better-than-average opener, who's had a few good seasons. He's way behind in the race for opener.

Dhawan- Bats a lot like Ganguly. Hopefully he'll fix his short ball problems.

Patel- Average wicketkeeper. Lacks striking power with the bat.

Badrinath- Only real India prospect.

Gony- Goes for lots of runs per over. Average seam-up bowler.

Pankaj Singh- Struggled in the IPL. Possibly the tallest after Ishant, but nothing more than medium pace.

Tiwary- Can't face pace. But then, no Indian can.

Mishra- One of the better spinners in India, strangely behind the less-seasoned Chawla. Under-rated bowler.

Nayar- Average batsman, far away from national selection. Bowling often not a factor, at least in IPL.

Pinal Shah- In prime form in limited-overs matches before IPL. Sloppy in IPL. Reasonably good wicketkeeper, but not the kind to have keeping to Kumble.

Iqbal Abdulla- Rank outsider who did well for Mumbai when he got a few matches. Not so impressive with KKR.

brockley

International Captain
The AIS squad chosen was
usmanan khawjah
ricky broad
greg moller
michael hill
petter forrest
theo dropolous
mathew wade
moises henriques
grant sullivan
jon holland
ben cutting
steve o'keefe
david warner.

The squad tho could change for injuries or whether the selectors want to give playerrs like andrew mcdonald and cullen bailey a go.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So long as Hay and Broom do well, I couldn't give a toss about the rest of them. We know Franklin and Ryder are quality, but the rest of the team strikes me as fairly average. Obviously there is potential for the future which is what this tour is all about, but there will be plenty of opportunity for the likes of Bennet, Anderson, Boult etc in years to come.
From what I've read, Hiini is quite a promising player, and his record is very good as well. I'd group him in with Hay as the main interestes from a NZ POV.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The AIS squad chosen was
usmanan khawjah
ricky broad
greg moller
michael hill
petter forrest
theo dropolous
mathew wade
moises henriques
grant sullivan
jon holland
ben cutting
steve o'keefe
david warner.

The squad tho could change for injuries or whether the selectors want to give playerrs like andrew mcdonald and cullen bailey a go.
Forrest!! Gun. Rate him highly.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ Arjun's Indian Team analysis. Highly debatable.

Hopefully that Aussie (NSW) side goes alright. Drops to top score. :D

Flem274*

123/5
Wasn't he New Zealand's best batsman in last year’s series?
Only because the rest didn't play to potential. James Marshalls domestic record is inferior to many in this country, hence his constant selection before he really earnt it for once this winter has been baffling.

And even after he earns selection he still sucks. We know he's rubbish so there's no point in playing him in these tournaments.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The teams from South Africa and New Zealand are full of new names. Do you expect any of them to make their first teams' benches? Tshabalala has played before, and can't be too bad. Maybe these are U-19 players or those just out of that phase?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Only because the rest didn't play to potential. James Marshalls domestic record is inferior to many in this country, hence his constant selection before he really earnt it for once this winter has been baffling.

And even after he earns selection he still sucks. We know he's rubbish so there's no point in playing him in these tournaments.
That's disappointing. It's a lot like VVS Laxman, a limited-overs reject, sent to captain the India A team to the West Indies. If this is an Emerging Players tournament, you don't expect has-beens to make the team, do you? That said, the Marshalls were a good fit in the team when they played initially, but fell away dramatically.

Not too long ago, New Zealand had a much-discussed pace revolution, but that seems to have been cut short by injury, and none of them can make even their FC teams now. Are there any bowlers in this team with real pace? Or who should have made it?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Shah and Abdullah I'm not too keen on, thought they looked pretty average in the IPL and U-19 WC's whenever I've seen either of them.

The rest of the squad can't be disagreed with really, looking very promising. Especially would like to see how Dhawal and Kohli do.
They've always seemed to rate Pinal Shah pretty highly. Never really thought that much of him, not a great batsman at all, and wasn't outstanding with the gloves. Did the job though, I guess.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian team selection is OK except the pace bowlers...Both Sangwan and Dinda should have been there in place of some other pace bowlers selected...
Dinda has barely any domestic experience and despite his T20 talent and no List A games to his name, I doubt he can keep up a pace of over 130kph in 50 over cricket. Furthemore, Sangwan couldn't even string consistent performances together in the U19 World cup, showing that 50 over cricket is not his forte.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Parthiv Patel played test cricket in 2003. Its July 2008, and he's in an emerging player tournament. Wow