• Pathan

0 0%
  • Sehwag

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Man for India All Time Test XI

Complete the India All Time Test XI

10 players have been selected till now:

Merchant, Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hazare, Kapil, Engineer, Kumble, Srinath, Bedi.

This is time to select another player to make the XI complete...You can select a batsman, a bowler or an al-rounder depending on how you feel the composition of the team should be...Lots of options are provided...

3 spinners, 3 pacers and 8 middle-order batsmen are in the poll on the basis of votes in earlier polls....Plus 3 al-rounders Mankad, Shastri and Pathan and another batsman Sehwag (who will play as a middle-order batsman if selected) has also been shortlisted...

Vote for 1 keeping in mind the team composition ... The selected player's batting position will be decided on the basis of his batting prowess...
    Last edited by weldone; 28-06-2008 at 05:26 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Since we have 5 great batsmen plus Kapil and Engineer to provide batting depth, and since bowling is our weaker area, I shall vote for a bowler between Gupte, Chandra, Prasanna, Nissar and Amar Singh to fill up the slot...Not sure about whom to vote among the 5 though...

Probably, I shall vote for 1 between Nissar and Amar Singh...Because at home you don't need a third spinner when you have Kumble and Bedi...And in away conditions, Nissar and Amar Singh will probably be more effective than Gupte, Chandra or Prasanna...

KickUps Champion!
    polly umrigar

School Boy/Girl Captain WhatisRight's Avatar
    Srinath in an all time 11? hahaha....wow, just goes to show the lack of quality of a fast bowler in india since they started. Anyway quality batsmen.

voted for azhar..despite the inclution of sunil and dravid that make the whole team unwatchable for me..

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    vinoo mankad

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Honestly, it says more about the people voting in these polls.
    Name and shame the culprits who voted for him. Should really have picked Abid Ali.

bagapath, BhupinderSingh, Burgey, funnygirl, haroon510, honestbharani, JBH001, KaZoH0lic, Lambu, PhoenixFire, sanga1337, weldone

International 12th Man
    Given this composition, seam bowling is a bit in short supply and it came down to either an allrounder or (on reputation) Amar Singh. Went for the latter as the batting was deep already (Engineer at #7 and Kumble at #8 are OK choices) but the bowling unit doesnt quite look as an all-time XI even with Kapil & Kumble.

Gone for Amar Singh based entirely on the composition of the team and the extremely high esteem in which he was held.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatisRight View Post
    Srinath in an all time 11? hahaha....wow, just goes to show the lack of quality of a fast bowler in india since they started. Anyway quality batsmen.
    By no means trying to justify his selection, but Srinath was capable of some of the more fiery, quick spells of seam bowling in the 1990s. He has been timed at 156kph in 1996 and at 149.6kph on two separate occasions (1997/8 and 1999). Here is an example of some of his best spells.
    Last edited by Manee; 29-06-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Ganguly IMO.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    By no means trying to justify his selection, but Srinath was capable of some of the more fiery, quick spells of seam bowling in the 1990s. He has been timed at 156kph in 1996 and at 149.6kph on two separate occasions (1997/8 and 1999). Here is an example of some of his best spells.
    Just because he could sometimes be fast, it doesn't mean he wasn't a crap bowler overall. Since when did fast necessarily become good anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Notice how I said it was a fast spell of seam bowling - he was seaming the ball and anyone who can seam the ball considerable distances at pace is going to be a handful. Nor did I say that he wasn't an overall crap bowler overall; however, your definition of crap is crap in itself, or harsh, to be more specific. Sure, he floundered against Australia in the beginning of his career, but few (not noone, but few) wouldn't. His opening bowler partner ranged from anyone the board could find, to an aging Kapil Dev and Venkatesh Prasad - occasionally good but never inspirational support. He achieved good career statistics and bowled well in often dead pitches of India.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Amar Singh. Would have voted Gupte, but Srinath at 9 in an all-time team is too high.

So ideally I'd have Gupte instead of Srinath, I suppose.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information