• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
a cynic would no doubt suggest that the reality was that the then Guyanese Foreign Minister, Comrade Rashleigh Jackson, simply wanted to make a name for himself
I would suggest that if you're christened Rashleigh Jackson you've no need to make a name for yourself

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've said it before in this thread but there's a distinct lack of Tony Greig hate over the last couple of pages.

The man is a clueless idiot.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've said it before in this thread but there's a distinct lack of Tony Greig hate over the last couple of pages.

The man is a clueless idiot.
I think we're all right behind you on this one GFB.

By the way, I'm probably being extremely thick not knowing the answer to this, but which Test team does Tony Grieg support? I'd have thought that it's likely to be England (I think I've heard him say as much but wouldn't swear to it) but South Africa and/or Australia must also be on his list.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fully agree with the David Lloyd hate on page 1 as well.

He's the commentary equivelant of the father who does embarassing dances at weddings.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
By the way, I'm probably being extremely thick not knowing the answer to this, but which Test team does Tony Grieg support? I'd have thought that it's likely to be England (I think I've heard him say as much but wouldn't swear to it) but South Africa and/or Australia must also be on his list.
Depends on which team is winning.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Fully agree with the David Lloyd hate on page 1 as well.

He's the commentary equivelant of the father who does embarassing dances at weddings.
No he's also the father that gets drunk and tries it on with a bridesmaid; which is exactly why I think he's so brilliant! It's entertainment at the end of the day and beneath it all he does know his stuff.

Harsh on Tony Greig, I think since World Series he's sort of severed his ties with the English game and just become a supporter of good cricket. Remember there's a difference between a commentator supporting a team and simply praising them for playing well or being talented.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harsh on Tony Greig, I think since World Series he's sort of severed his ties with the English game
More a case of the English game severing ties with Tony Greig, and not surprisingly, given how badly he betrayed the game over here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No he's also the father that gets drunk and tries it on with a bridesmaid; which is exactly why I think he's so brilliant! It's entertainment at the end of the day and beneath it all he does know his stuff.

Harsh on Tony Greig, I think since World Series he's sort of severed his ties with the English game and just become a supporter of good cricket. Remember there's a difference between a commentator supporting a team and simply praising them for playing well or being talented.
It's not harsh on Tony Greig, the man is a grade A moron.

The classic moment for me was during the Trent Bridge Ashes Test in 2005, when Australia were following on and surpassed England's 1st innings total.

Greig was insistent that every run Australia scored was worth double, because England had to score them as well. He even went as far as to comment that a boundary hit was technically worth 8 runs.

Clown. I haven't even mentioned his voice, which is how I imagine having your ears raped must feel.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
It's not harsh on Tony Greig, the man is a grade A moron.

The classic moment for me was during the Trent Bridge Ashes Test in 2005, when Australia were following on and surpassed England's 1st innings total.

Greig was insistent that every run Australia scored was worth double, because England had to score them as well. He even went as far as to comment that a boundary hit was technically worth 8 runs.

Clown. I haven't even mentioned his voice, which is how I imagine having your ears raped must feel.
Well obviously he meant that having to chase in the 4th was very hard and compared to the first innings they were worth double as they would be harder to get. Probably stupid of him to try and get mathematical about it, I think I actually remember that commentary stint. I'm not too bothered by his voice, I'm a big fan of the South African accent, especially the rugged 'I'm from the Transvaal' accent or the clipped quick talking dialect of the Cape (so attractive on a beautiful woman).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never got when commentators say that, but Greig certainly isn't the only one
Worst catchphrase, TBH. A run is worth a run, full-stop. If you're behind, it's worth deducting a negative; if you're in front, it's worth adding a positive.

Really annoying to hear any commentator use it, whether I like or dislike them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well obviously he meant that having to chase in the 4th was very hard and compared to the first innings they were worth double as they would be harder to get. Probably stupid of him to try and get mathematical about it, I think I actually remember that commentary stint. I'm not too bothered by his voice, I'm a big fan of the South African accent, especially the rugged 'I'm from the Transvaal' accent or the clipped quick talking dialect of the Cape (so attractive on a beautiful woman).
I like the South African accent as well.

It's just that Tony Greig's is horrible.